Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 19, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #4,186 of 23,494
I have a pair of 77 Greys left. $40 shipped if you want them.

Kind of don't have any budget now. I purchased a pair Voskhod Rocket 6N23P and Siemens E88CC recently.  
I doubt if your interested but I have a pair of Tesla ECC88 gold pin and GE stock tubes if you want to trade. ha, ha. 
Thanks for offer. 

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #4,187 of 23,494
+1!!! I've purchased multiple tubes from him. Most recently the 75 HG's. I wouldn't buy anywhere else.
rb2013 does indeed sell tubes on Ebay, I highly recommend him!!  I have bought some tubes from him before.  Nice guy and a great buy.  I can vouch for him.  I would say buying tubes from him is a much better idea than buying from dealers in Eastern Europe.   He can let you know his seller name on Ebay.

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #4,188 of 23,494
What would you guys say is the 'funnest' tube on the Lyr? One that has a lot of energy behind it, but still sounds pretty warm? I won't have the Lyr for another year, but I wanna know what tubes'll be best for me. I listen to a lot of prog rock, jazz fusion, classical, and alternative stuff all over the place, and one thing my music needs is energy replication, since I can really dig the growling bass lines in Yes's old stuff, the crack of the snare, the crazy fast licks on the guitar, and all manner of emotive lines in music.
I've no idea what tubes I'll be getting, but since ai have a $500 a year budget for audio equipment, and for three years I won't be getting anything aside from the HE-500 cans, Lyr 2, and the Bifrost, I'll have to live with what they all come with for a while before I get better cables, cooler tubes, and new pads.
So, budget'll be less'n $100.

Thanks a biscuit!

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #4,189 of 23,494
What would you guys say is the 'funnest' tube on the Lyr? One that has a lot of energy behind it, but still sounds pretty warm? I won't have the Lyr for another year, but I wanna know what tubes'll be best for me. I listen to a lot of prog rock, jazz fusion, classical, and alternative stuff all over the place, and one thing my music needs is energy replication, since I can really dig the growling bass lines in Yes's old stuff, the crack of the snare, the crazy fast licks on the guitar, and all manner of emotive lines in music.
I've no idea what tubes I'll be getting, but since ai have a $500 a year budget for audio equipment, and for three years I won't be getting anything aside from the HE-500 cans, Lyr 2, and the Bifrost, I'll have to live with what they all come with for a while before I get better cables, cooler tubes, and new pads.
So, budget'll be less'n $100.

Thanks a biscuit!
You're gonna love the Lyr, you might consider a used Lyr1, and invest the difference in some killer tubes. The energy and excitment of the Lyr made give up my last amp the excellent Woo WA6-SE, very smooth but a bit boring at times. With the right tubes the Lyr can be just as smooth but a whole lot more dynamic, with rocking bass.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #4,190 of 23,494
You're gonna love the Lyr, you might consider a used Lyr1, and invest the difference in some killer tubes. The energy and excitment of the Lyr made give up my last amp the excellent Woo WA6-SE, very smooth but a bit boring at times. With the right tubes the Lyr can be just as smooth but a whole lot more dynamic, with rocking bass.

I think I'd rather have the Lyr 2, since I'm gonna be using Grados with it as well, so I'll definitely need the gain switch. And when I get speakers, I'll be able to give em a smidge of tube sound.

Bass is one of my favorite parts of music, the crazy talent that some bassists have is just astounding! The feel that an amazing bass lick can give you, and the kick of the drummer, or the roll of the bass drum or timpany in classical music and soundtracks

Dec 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #4,191 of 23,494
I think I'd rather have the Lyr 2, since I'm gonna be using Grados with it as well, so I'll definitely need the gain switch. And when I get speakers, I'll be able to give em a smidge of tube sound.

Bass is one of my favorite parts of music, the crazy talent that some bassists have is just astounding! The feel that an amazing bass lick can give you, and the kick of the drummer, or the roll of the bass drum or timpany in classical music and soundtracks

That makes sense on the Lyr 2 - it's also quieter with the improved heater circuit.  

I agree the mid bass is the foundation of much music - and a rich natural tone really goes a long way to realism

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #4,192 of 23,494

Hi, I am thinking about upgrading from a Lyr to a WA6-SE.  You didn't like the Woo.  What tubes did you try?  Did you try many?

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #4,197 of 23,494
Basically. Lol. They're for people who roll tubes.

Well, I've never used em, or even heard tube sound, but I can assume that the only thing they do is what they're designed for, so they shouldn't change the sound at all, provided they use good materials and connect properly, and use the same metals as the connectors they attach to. I don't see why they wouldn't do anything bad unless they were of bad quality.

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #4,198 of 23,494
My concern is if they hold up over time. As far as SQ, that's debatable. I doubt they'll change the sound at all. Lol.
Well, I've never used em, or even heard tube sound, but I can assume that the only thing they do is what they're designed for, so they shouldn't change the sound at all, provided they use good materials and connect properly, and use the same metals as the connectors they attach to. I don't see why they wouldn't do anything bad unless they were of bad quality.

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #4,199 of 23,494
My concern is if they hold up over time. As far as SQ, that's debatable. I doubt they'll change the sound at all. Lol.

Well what's the connection metal they're using? If it's malleable then it probably won't last for ages, but it's still metal, so it should last quite a while. I think if they did stop working due to a loose connection, they shouldn't be that expensive to replace anyway, unless you're getting really high quality ones.

Dec 21, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #4,200 of 23,494
Asking in this thread also. Are these socket savers any good? Curious if anyone else uses or has used them previously.

Yes, they're good.  Yes, lots of people use them.  Are they worth $50 for a pair?  Only you can answer that for yourself.  If that seems expensive, you could always try the cheaper ones available on eBay.  I haven't, so I can't comment.  I just sucked it up, trusted the Head-Fiers who recommended the Tubemongers you picture, and haven't looked back.  I can say from experience, that Tubemonger stands behind their product 100%.  When I thought I had a problem with one, they immediately offered a replacement pair, as they wanted to see what was wrong with it/them.  Later, I isolated the problem to an interconnect, but they responded extremely quickly and positively.  If that matters to you.

To the other question, yes, they are indeed "socket savers."  If you roll a lot, they protect the sockets built into your amp.  With the Lyr they have the added bonus of raising up the tubes to make it so much easier to swap tubes.  A simple popsicle stick or tongue depressor (something not metal, at the very least) to hold them in place while removing the tubes is about the only caveat for using them.  If you don't do that, you'll find that removing most tubes will bring the socket saver up with them, thus defeating its purpose.

HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back