Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 3, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #2,147 of 23,494
Jun 3, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #2,149 of 23,494
  anyone bought tubes from upscale audio. what's the difference between Platinum grade and gold grade.

Pretty sure it's explained on their site, but IIRC, Platinum test better and should not be microphonic, and are thus best suited for sensitive applications (turntable preamps, etc.).  That, or it's just a way to charge more $$$
biggrin.gif
  I kid.  Check their site.  Personally, at that price, I'd spring for the extra $16 and get them cryo-treated.  I got a pair of cryo'd platinum Matsushchiitas from Kevin when I first got my Lyr.  Of course, I can't compare them to the non-cryo'd version, so YMMV.

And all this really makes me want those damn Teles!  I had to choose the Siemens CCas or the Teles late last year, and I went Siemens, as they were a better deal, and Kevin has a lot of those Teles.  Sure hope I can snag a pair later this year.

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #2,151 of 23,494
Speaking of Telefunken E88CCs - I saw this listing on Tube Depot. These are NOT the tubes we are talking about, which were made between 1966-68, these are new production. I haven't heard them, but likely not even in the same league as the NOS Teles. Just a heads up, as this could be very confusing.
At $82/pr might seem like a bargain. Anyone heard these?

https://tubedepot.com/products/telefunken-black-diamond-e88cc-6922

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #2,154 of 23,494
anyone bought tubes from upscale audio. what's the difference between Platinum grade and gold grade.
The Platinum are quieter for very sensitive phono pre-amps. These are very sensitive to noise, as this signal gets amplified twice. Once by the preamp, then again by the amp stage. They also have tighter matching between sections. I bought the Gold, and they are fine noise wise. They were matched to within 6%, that's pretty tight.

As for cryo treatment, I have bought many tubes from CryoSet and TubeWorld (Kuhl cyro) that were treated. They usually shortened the life of the tube ( I know the treatment is supposed to increase it - theoretically). I won't get any of my tubes cryo'd anymore because of this. On cables it's great...they last forever.

Maybe Pinkled could get one of the 3 pairs he ordered with the treatment to listen for a difference. :)

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #2,155 of 23,494
The Platinum are quieter for very sensitive phono pre-amps. These are very sensitive to noise, as this signal gets amplified twice. Once by the preamp, then again by the amp stage. They also have tighter matching between sections. I bought the Gold, and they are fine noise wise. They were matched to within 6%, that's pretty tight.

As for cryo treatment, I have bought many tubes from CryoSet and TubeWorld (Kuhl cyro) that were treated. They usually shortened the life of the tube ( I know the treatment is supposed to increase it - theoretically). I won't get any of my tubes cryo'd anymore because of this. On cables it's great...they last forever.

Maybe Pinkled could get one of the 3 pairs he ordered with the treatment to listen for a difference. :)

Thank Rb~ I wont get the cryo one.

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #2,156 of 23,494
Thank Rb~ I wont get the cryo one.
My experience with cyro sound wise, it kinda jumps ahead of the burnin process. In other words, straight out of the box, they do sound better, but after around 200 hours they sound about the same. I was just getting tubes failing way prematurely. CryoSet will cyro your tubes for like $8 a tube, if you send them in. I toyed with trying it with the Russians, then thought twice about it. I bought a lot of new production Russian and Czech tubes there - still have an almost new pair of EH gold pin 6922s with the Super Cyro treatment for sale on ebay - $25 for the pair.

http://www.cryoset.com/

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #2,158 of 23,494
And don't forget a pair of Sylvania 7963... IMHO, it belongs at the same table with the Voskhod, Telefunken and Amperex. :)

I have to wire me up a pair of those! If you know anyone selling them wired to plug and play let me know.

I threw a '74 SWGP Silver 6n23p into the mix tonight! Whoaa! Right there with the Tele E88CC! Just listened to Keith Jarrett - Koln Concert on each of the tubes. Tone extravaganza! I was so mezmerized by the '74 I lost track of tracks...30 minutes later found I'd listened to half the album. Just magical.

The rankings are becoming clearer. The two bottom Amperexs are just not in the league of the top tubes on hand. Now on to Pink Floyd 'Money'...

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #2,160 of 23,494
My experience with cyro sound wise, it kinda jumps ahead of the burnin process. In other words, straight out of the box, they do sound better, but after around 200 hours they sound about the same. I was just getting tubes failing way prematurely. CryoSet will cyro your tubes for like $8 a tube, if you send them in. I toyed with trying it with the Russians, then thought twice about it. I bought a lot of new production Russian and Czech tubes there - still have an almost new pair of EH gold pin 6922s with the Super Cyro treatment for sale on ebay - $25 for the pair.

http://www.cryoset.com/

I looked into the cryo before purchasing my Teles. I didn't go for that option. Someone put it well saying that the mechanical stresses you will be putting on the tubes under during such an intensive process might out weight any benefit the process will induce. That made sense to me. Considering all of the various materials in the tubes as well, since different materials expand and contract at different rates under these extreme conditions I was afraid that the structural integrity of the tube might be compromised during the cryo. This is evident in in rbs experiences as well, I would say opt out of the cryo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back