Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 2, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #2,131 of 23,494
rb2013's post above about his experience with the 1959 Amperex pinched waist (I am assuming US-made? Probably 7L4 *9?) reminded me that I hadn't listened to my US-made 6922's in over 6 months. I have two versions, one 1961 (7L6 *16), and the other, 1964 (7L9 *4J).

Similar to rb2013, I am a "tone guy", so Siemens, Valvo and the like just don't do anything for me. Of these two US-made Amperex 6922's, I remembered that I much preferred the 1961. The 1961 had just a bit more warmth and body in the mid-range compared to the 1964, which is a bit leaner and drier. Vocals, especially female vocals were much more enjoyable and engaging.

So I rolled my 1961 this evening, Diana Krall, Live in Paris, and realized that I had forgotten just how good this tube is. While I am virtually certain that my 1961 tube can't compare to rb's 1959 tube, in my opinion it is significantly superior to my 1964 tube. At some point between 1961 and 1964, somewhere between revision 7L6 and 7L9, IMHO, the US-made Amperex 6922 changed for the worse. (I also have 1964 US-made Amperex 7308's, and these sound virtually indistinguishable from the 6922's manufactured at the same time.)

So for those of you like myself, who likely will never be able to afford the pinched-waist versions of the US-made Amperex 6922, I suggest to you that straight-sided (non-pinched waist) tubes manufactured no later than 1961 or 1962, revision 7L6, or earlier, are probably as close as we can get.

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #2,132 of 23,494
rb2013's post above about his experience with the 1959 Amperex pinched waist (I am assuming US-made? Probably 7L4 *9?) reminded me that I hadn't listened to my US-made 6922's in over 6 months. I have two versions, one 1961 (7L6 *16), and the other, 1964 (7L9 *4J).

Similar to rb2013, I am a "tone guy", so Siemens, Valvo and the like just don't do anything for me. Of these two US-made Amperex 6922's, I remembered that I much preferred the 1961. The 1961 had just a bit more warmth and body in the mid-range compared to the 1964, which is a bit leaner and drier. Vocals, especially female vocals were much more enjoyable and engaging.

So I rolled my 1961 this evening, Diana Krall, Live in Paris, and realized that I had forgotten just how good this tube is. While I am virtually certain that my 1961 tube can't compare to rb's 1959 tube, in my opinion it is significantly superior to my 1964 tube. At some point between 1961 and 1964, somewhere between revision 7L6 and 7L9, IMHO, the US-made Amperex 6922 changed for the worse. (I also have 1964 US-made Amperex 7308's, and these sound virtually indistinguishable from the 6922's manufactured at the same time.)

So for those of you like myself, who likely will never be able to afford the pinched-waist versions of the US-made Amperex 6922, I suggest to you that straight-sided (non-pinched waist) tubes manufactured no later than 1961 or 1962, revision 7L6, or earlier, are probably as close as we can get.
Yes you have the date codes right. I have to say, while not in the same rarifed air of the top three, the Amperex '60s Orange Shield 6922, and the '50s Bugle Boy d getter are very good tubes. Not as euphonic as the PW, but not as magical certainly as well. They are closer to the HG 6n23p and Tele E88cc. More neutral, better balanced. They lack the deeper level of detail of the HG and Tele. But quite enjoyable none the less.

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #2,133 of 23,494
@ RB2013, Thanks for the peek preview, really looking forward to the complete lowdown! I am starting to get a sense of what tubes work best for different headphones/ DAC's based on our personal sound preferences. Your more detailed analysis of the highly regarded PW in your system/HD800's was very interesting. Certainly a "niche" tube for you, but one that fills that "niche" in spades. That being said I am really interested in the HG Rusky VS the Tele. Your HD800's abundance of detail may not pair well with the Tele's incredible "detail". For my warmer, less detailed, modded T50RP's, the Tele's are awesome. Thanks for taking the time and spending the $$$$ to provide some great insight into some great tubes. waiting.....
I have to say I love these Telefunken E88ccs! They are not like the Teles I have heard in the past. They have to be one of the best 6922s I have ever heard. Deep detail, maybe not quite as deep as the '75 HG but close. Great tone as well! They do everything right.

What's the difference between between the Tele and the HGs? The HG has an inner lit quaility, an incisive view that is extrodinary. On vocals, they project the most realistic portrayal, they have a holographic projection that is uncanny - and that none of the other tubes fully replicate. They also have the 'fullest' sound - by that I mean the sound stage seems not only wider and deeper - but it seems the whole sound field is larger. And into that is projected more music. Partly it's a greater level of detail, exposing vocals, guitars, little bells, tambourines, etc...buried deep into the mix. Partly it's the greater dynamics, not just complete lack of congestion (which the Tele have as well), but can scale louder passages without restraint. It's a big sound - the players aren't blown up. They are natural sized - it's just a bigger stage.

This is a tough review, as all these tubes, especially the top three. are all super stars, each just a joy to listen to. I frequently switch back and forth between the Tele and the HG, as their characteristic sound is closer to each other then the Amperexs. I'm going through many songs, older rock stuff, newer stuff, maybe some jazz and a little classical, even some alt stuff, just to get a view of these from as many angles as possible.

PS edit - The Teles have about 60 hours on them. I'll burn them in for another 50, since they were NIB, over the next couple of days.

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #2,134 of 23,494
I have to say I love these Telefunken E88ccs! They are not like the Teles I have heard in the past. They have to be one of the best 6922s I have ever heard. Deep detail, maybe not quite as deep as the '75 HG but close. Great tone as well! They do everything right.

What's the difference between between the Tele and the HGs? The HG has an inner lit quaility, an incisive view that is extrodinary. On vocals, they project the most realistic portrayal, they have a holographic projection that is uncanny - and that none of the other tubes fully replicate. They also have the 'fullest' sound - by that I mean the sound stage seems not only wider and deeper - but it seems the whole sound field is larger. And into that is projected more music. Partly it's a greater level of detail, exposing vocals, guitars, little bells, tambourines, etc...buried deep into the mix. Partly it's the greater dynamics, not just complete lack of congestion (which the Tele have as well), but can scale louder passages without restraint. It's a big sound - the players aren't blown up. They are natural sized - it's just a bigger stage.

This is a tough review, as all these tubes, especially the top three. are all super stars, each just a joy to listen to. I frequently switch back and forth between the Tele and the HG, as their characteristic sound is closer to each other then the Amperexs. I'm going through many songs, older rock stuff, newer stuff, maybe some jazz and a little classical, even some alt stuff, just to get a view of these from as many angles as possible.

PS edit - The Teles have about 60 hours on them. I'll burn them in for another 50, since they were NIB, over the next couple of days.

Me too, 60hrs and they continue to get better! Thanks for the validation/backup. Because you have your tube tester you can screen the various Ruskys....HOWEVER, for the rest of us, these Teles...Kevin@upscale said it all. Ordering my second pair. satwilson

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #2,135 of 23,494

Can you send me some link on the Ebay?

Thank you much

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #2,136 of 23,494
All of this talk of the Telefunken E88CC I had to get a pair! AHH my wallet!

At that price I ordered (6) of them. Should be good for a few years!

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #2,137 of 23,494
Me too, 60hrs and they continue to get better! Thanks for the validation/backup. Because you have your tube tester you can screen the various Ruskys....HOWEVER, for the rest of us, these Teles...Kevin@upscale said it all. Ordering my second pair. satwilson
Yes, and since the '75 Holy Grails are unobtanium now - I highly recommend the Teles. That's a great opportunity now at upscale - very reasonably priced for a 'super' tube.

Just finished with Bob Marley Exodus. Whoaa! Boy that was fun! The HG definitely has deeper, greater bass then the E88CC. Not as much as the PW, but that's overkill, the HG's bass is so well defined - more tuneful then the PW. That said the Teles are no slouches! Just in comparison.

PS edit - For those new to the thread the HG stands for 'Holy Grail' refering to my past reviews of the truly excellent Russian 6N23P. The very best being the '75 Silver Shields. These are extremely rare, and virtually impossible to find. For those who can't or won't spend $220 for a pair of the E88CC Telefunkens mentioned, I have some really nice Voskhod 6N23P for sale on ebay for $19 a pr. These have been hand tested on my tube tester and matched by myself. PM if interested. I have a few extra prs to sell. They are a nice stepup from the stock tubes, with greater detail and bass.

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #2,141 of 23,494
wow....that's me order some tubes too...  

popcorn.gif

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #2,142 of 23,494
  All of this talk of the Telefunken E88CC I had to get a pair! AHH my wallet!

At that price I ordered (6) of them. Should be good for a few years!

First off your first pair will blow you away! Of course burn them in. I have a backup pair ordered, but I am 63yrs old and @ 3-4 hrs. a day... Anyway it will be great to pass these awesome tubes along to someone years from now, could be worth way more than we paid, I have NO SYMPATHY for your wallet, great investment! Please post your evaluation.

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #2,143 of 23,494
  First off your first pair will blow you away! Of course burn them in. I have a backup pair ordered, but I am 63yrs old and @ 3-4 hrs. a day... Anyway it will be great to pass these awesome tubes along to someone years from now, could be worth way more than we paid, I have NO SYMPATHY for your wallet, great investment! Please post your evaluation.

Thanks for the source satwilson, will post back.
That's $700 in tubes...expecting the apocalypse?! LOL! Stock up!!:)

Yes, the tubeocalypse! It's coming!

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #2,145 of 23,494
  Can the tubesavers from tubemongers be removed once  installed? Or they can be removed only after opening the amp?

Yes, they can be removed, though it can be a bit of a PITA.  I managed it by wiggling them to loosen them, and then carefully using needle nose pliers.  That them up, but no harm done.  No doubt there are other methods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back