Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #6,376 of 8,735
Quote:
Thank you sure...very informative, I'll look for that RTC...right now I'm burning some siemens e188cc, it's amazing, and spectacular! they said its very close to Siemens CCa.
anyway thanks

Those valves are luscious.
I recall saying, it's like the bow is pulling you over the strings..
L3000.gif

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #6,378 of 8,735
Quote:
Just rolled in the Lorenz SEL PCC189s into my SLI 80 and DAYUM SON, these sound great. IMO even better than my Telefunken cryoed 6922s.  So much air and tight right bass.  I'm sorta regretting letting my backup pair go.  Oh well, they show up on eBay frequently enough.  

Those SELs are a great tube for the money.  Go out and score some while the price its still reasonable!!!

+1

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #6,379 of 8,735
Apr 12, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #6,380 of 8,735
Quote:
I haven't heard the JJs. From what I've read the GEs are a much better tube. The JJ have "non existent bass and rolled off highs." I almost did the same thing. If it costs more, it has to be better, right?

Another member got some GEs from Nebraska Surplus for under $2 a tube a month ago. They won't be matched, but I don't know if that's a problem or not.

That would be me.  Got them from here:

http://www.surplussales.com/Tubes-Sock-Acc/6/TubesListed_6-2.html

The 6BZ7s are till going for $1.60 per.

Just be advised, these tube are "various brands" there's no way to guarantee which brand you get.  I lucked out, all the ones shipped to me were RCAs, which are the desired brand for these tubes in NOS. Another member got GEs.  Not quite as good, but since Schiit is selling those tubes for $10.00 per, it is a pretty big savings.

Also, one member bought some, and got hit with high shipping cost.  It looks like 10 tubes cost $9.00 to ship.  If that's too high for your pocketbook, you may have better luck elsewhere.

Remember, these are not matched.  Might want to buy a few in case you have serious volume level differences so you can swap a few in or out.

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #6,381 of 8,735
Quote:
But Amperex = Philips, but they built valves for Mullard and visa versa.
Amprex OG's were generally Holland. The white label and 6922's New York.

Well, no.

Amperex was a US subsidiary of Philips. Amperex made a limited number of types in the US. They made, for example, 6922s and 7308s for the US military but they did not make 6DJ8s.

Amperex made nothing in the Netherlands. The Dutch factories were Philips factories, not Amperex factories. Amperex sold, though, lots of tubes made by Philips in the Netherlands.

Philips was a true tube giant:

1. Valvo, a Philips subsidiary, made tubes in Hamburg, Germany.
  2. Mullard, a Philips subsidiary, made tubes in the UK.
  3. Radiotechnique (RT, later RTC), a Philips subsidiary, made tubes in France.
  4. etc.

Cross-labeling was common.

The name is Philips, not Phillips. (Likewise, it's Voskhod, not Voshkod.)

Some days I feel like Don Quixote...

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #6,382 of 8,735
Anyone have any experience on the gold lion tubes on ebay? They're not NOS so I'm not sure if they're good or not. I was thinking on buying a pair just to see if tube rolling makes a big difference (still listening to the stock NOS tubes that came with the lyr lol) 

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #6,383 of 8,735
Quote:
Anyone have any experience on the gold lion tubes on ebay? They're not NOS so I'm not sure if they're good or not. I was thinking on buying a pair just to see if tube rolling makes a big difference (still listening to the stock NOS tubes that came with the lyr lol) 

Genalex Gold Lion tubes are current production (Brand new, made like 1-2 years ago) made in the Saratov factory in Russia.

They do seem to get farourable reviews.
http://jda1951.xanga.com/765921724/new-sensor-genalex-gold-lion-6922/

[size=x-small] Listening Impressions:[/size]
[size=x-small]
  1. Bass response is strong, laying a solid foundation to the music in much the same way as the Saratov (Reflector) 6H23π-EB (6N23P-EV).
  2. Although dialogue is clear and easy to follow, vocalists can sound “smaller” than life-size at times with mouth and throat predominating over the chest.
  3. Treble is open and extended.
  4. Low level detail is reference level.
  5. Transient attack is not quite up to the level of reference vintage tubes.
  6. Soundstage width, depth and height are near-reference grade and most like the Mullard PCC88.
  7. Macro-dynamics are forceful and are most similar to the 6922EH in this regard. 
  8. Lacks the tonal smoothness and grain-free quality of the best vintage tubes, as do the 6922EH and to a lesser degree, the Saratov 6H23π-EB (6N23P-EV).
[/size]

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #6,384 of 8,735
Quote:

Well, no.

Amperex was a US subsidiary of Philips. Amperex made a limited number of types in the US. They made, for example, 6922s and 7308s for the US military but they did not make 6DJ8s.

Amperex made nothing in the Netherlands. The Dutch factories were Philips factories, not Amperex factories. Amperex sold, though, lots of tubes made by Philips in the Netherlands.

This is like "Deja Vu all over again"

Don,
I'm confused.  "Amperex" was a US subsidiary of Philips yet Philips=Amperex is incorrect.  
blink.gif

subsidiary companysubsidiary, or daughter company[1] is a company that is completely or partly owned and partly or wholly controlled by another company that owns more than half of the subsidiary's stock.

"Amperex made nothing in the Netherland" 
size]
.....  yet the valves below say Amperex,  "Made in Holland".  The Netherlands was once known as "Holland"  or it might have been a subsidiary. 

There is a "little triangle symbol" on the valve.  It means Heerlen.  Sometimes I spell it Herleen cuz I have a diploma from a high school in the USA.

[size=small]A subsidiary is, "or may be" a "brand".  Example PepsiCola has subsidiaries, listed with the securities exchange commission, called Frito Lay and Quaker Oats, along with dozens of others.  These are also "brand names".  So I Quaker Oats = PepsiCo is correct.  Other than the fact you can't drink oats.[/size]

[size=small]In the Philips Codes list I included with a prior post, it lists manufacturing symbols for cities where valves are made.  It does not list the quantity of valves produced so I can't tell is the New York plant made more or less valves than the Herleen or Mitcham factories.  Now I know that New York only made a few.  Protection and racketeering costs probably drove them out.[/size]

[size=small]Sometimes I feel like Jeff Spicoli[/size]

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #6,385 of 8,735
I will not participate in discussing this topic further.
It belongs on a different forum in a different thread.  
I've also heard that very bad things can happen if discourse like this continues.

Contestant #3:
"Alex, I'll take Forum rules for $100"

"Alex":
"This person was no longer wel…."

Contestant #2:
"Buzzzzzz"

"Who is …….. ?

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #6,386 of 8,735
Quote:
Don,
I'm confused.  "Amperex" was a US subsidiary of Philips yet Philips=Amperex is incorrect.  
blink.gif

"Amperex made nothing in the Netherland" 
size]
.....  yet the valves below say Amperex,  "Made in Holland".  The Netherlands was once known as "Holland"  or it might have been a subsidiary. 

Jeff,

this is not complicated.

Amperex does not equal Philips because Philips as the parent company included a lot more than just Amperex.

If a tube was made in the Netherlands, it was made by Philips whatever the brand printed on the tube. Philips certainly made a lot of tubes for Amperex, their US subsidiary, as did Mullard, their UK subsidiary.

Please calm down, Jeff.

Don

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #6,388 of 8,735
Update.

Olga sent me a photo of the getters for the Mullard /RTC E188CC's.
As suspected they have dimple getters, so they are from 72'.

I'm thinking they should still sound good and that $120 is a fair price for them.
E188CC eBay Listing

According to Tubemonger, a very large quantity of these valves hit the european market.
As I recall, he thought $200 was a good price.

Again, parcels from Lithuania take a Long Time to get to the USA.
When a bunch of us bought Lorenz SEL's, some arrived in 3 weeks, some 4, mine 6, another 7 weeks.
Everyone was very concerned.  Some got refunds, but in the end Everyone received their valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back