Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 3, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #2,296 of 6,473
  I'm feeding one of my Jots with a Yggy, and it's a very nice match, IMO. Makes me want Yggy's at every station with the Jot's, and call it a day, at least DAC/Amp wise.

I am also feeding my Jot with an Yggy (ok and an MJ2). May as well use it (yggy) if you got it.

Nov 3, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #2,297 of 6,473

I am also feeding my Jot with an Yggy (ok and an MJ2). May as well use it (yggy) if you got it.

At first glance, it seems like an unlikely pairing, a TOTL Dac with a mid to low priced amp, but IMO the Jot hits out of its price range for sure. As for the Yggy, it's an addictive device. Love it so far, and of course, love the Jot.

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #2,298 of 6,473
From the review I can find it seems like the Jot does out preform its price point which isn't surprising since it is Schiit.  I was going to just get the amp for $399 but I might as well get the dac for the extra $100 as it will be better than just using my X5II's USB dac, plus its less wires and things to hook up.  I didn't think I could find a good balanced amp at the $500 and under mark but leave it to Schiit to make one. 

Nov 3, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #2,299 of 6,473

I have that combination and really like it.  Good punch and dynamics.  The Elears are very detailed but non-fatiguing with this combo.  Well worth the $399.  Or $499 with DAC.  I have the DAC and honestly can't tell the diference from it and the Bifrost 4490.

Are you running it balanced?

No.  My balanced cables are supposed to arrive Friday.  Will post impressions later.

Nov 3, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #2,300 of 6,473
Since I'm getting the Jot I need to get some balanced cables for my Elear and I found some on eBay that look to be pretty good. They cost about $158 after shipping and the company that makes them has some for quite a few other headphones and all are the same price. They have full copper and silver plated copper to choose from as well as balanced and single ended.

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #2,301 of 6,473
Since I'm getting the Jot I need to get some balanced cables for my Elear and I found some on eBay that look to be pretty good. They cost about $158 after shipping and the company that makes them has some for quite a few other headphones and all are the same price. They have full copper and silver plated copper to choose from as well as balanced and single ended.

Can't believe how stupid expensive balanced headphone cables are compared to balanced XLR interconnects....

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #2,302 of 6,473
Hello, I have ordered a Jotunheim with the DAC card. I am now looking for a usb cable (under 1m) to connect to my Windows computer. My budget is around US$50/£40 (I am from the UK). Do you guys have any suggestions?

I am looking at the Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 and AudioQuest Cinnamon which both have a similar price. I am also looking at the Furutech ADL Formula 2 and AudioQuest Forest which are a bit cheaper. Which one should I go for?

Thanks everyone in advance
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #2,304 of 6,473
The Jotunheim does benefit from a good source like a Yggy or Vega. I don't mind the DAC being more resolving than the amp. A more balanced pairing maybe the Gumby, u give up a bit of the neutrality of a Yggy-Jotunheim pairing, for a slightly warmer sound, which may suit some headphones. BTW I found massive improvement after switching from the USB of my MacBook Pro to a Fiio X7 via coaxial.

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #2,306 of 6,473
Hello, I have ordered a Jotunheim with the DAC card. I am now looking for a usb cable (under 1m) to connect to my Windows computer. My budget is around US$50/£40 (I am from the UK). Do you guys have any suggestions?

I am looking at the Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 and AudioQuest Cinnamon which both have a similar price. I am also looking at the Furutech ADL Formula 2 and AudioQuest Forest which are a bit cheaper. Which one should I go for?

Thanks everyone in advance:D  

If u r playing from a computer, i suggest get the cheaper one like the Furutech ADL F2 and spend the rest of the money on a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3. The improvement is much bigger here.

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #2,308 of 6,473

Thanks everyone in advance
biggrin.gif

Neither, it's a waste of money and won't make things sound better.

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #2,309 of 6,473

Users who are viewing this thread

Back