Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 30, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #1,518 of 6,472
Sep 30, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #1,519 of 6,472
Yeah, you literally don't need to do anything clever or special to hook the Jot up. Just connect your RCAs from the Mimby to the Jot, and flick the source selector on the front to choose the SE in, and you're good to go. There are no gotchas, it's a very well-designed little amp.

Thanks...

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #1,520 of 6,472
Just FYI - The changing of the operating system to Sierra on my MacBook Pro did not change the static problem through the Jot.  Nice suggestion - but didn't work.  Guess will contact Schiit next week.  (Sorry I got some feathers ruffled up about being in this thread with my problem.  Just thought since my Jot was producing static, the Jot blog would be the place to get help.  Won't bother you again.)

Oct 1, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #1,523 of 6,472
  Hi is it possible to run iems balanced without using the xlr like trrs? Ty.

The 1/4" jack on the jotunheim is single ended. There is no way to get a balanced signal from it. You could make (or have made for you) a TRRS to 4-pin XLR adapter. 

Here's the parts you would need to make your own if you have a soldering iron.

TRRS Jack Female
4 Pin XLR Male
Mogami Bulk Cable

Oct 1, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #1,524 of 6,472

The 1/4" jack on the jotunheim is single ended. There is no way to get a balanced signal from it. You could make (or have made for you) a TRRS to 4-pin XLR adapter. 

TRRS Jack Female
4 Pin XLR Male
Mogami Bulk Cable

Thanks for replying! Also would this be a significant upgrade from my O2.

Oct 1, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #1,525 of 6,472

TRRS Jack Female
4 Pin XLR Male
Mogami Bulk Cable

This would not make the IEM-s balanced because the trs connection shares the ground between the left and right channel. If you connect the left - and right - it would not create a proper ground, would cause distortion and potentially damage the amp due to the short circuit between the two channels. The IEM-s would neet to be rewired first to 4 pin with separate ground wires for each side.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #1,526 of 6,472

This would not make the IEM-s balanced because the trs connection shares the ground between the left and right channel. If you connect the left - and right - it would not create a proper ground, would cause distortion and potentially damage the amp due to the short circuit between the two channels. The IEM-s would neet to be rewired first to 4 pin with separate ground wires for each side.

The assumption is the IEM are balanced, so the question answers how to connect it ipassuming it has a TRRS plug.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #1,527 of 6,472

It has much more power. I personally think it sounds fantastic but only your ears will decide what sounds better to you.

He said TRRS, so I was assuming the IEMs were already balanced.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #1,528 of 6,472
nice, exactly what I was looking for. Have UERMs and HE-400, was looking for a solid state upgrade over o2 that could drive both and would allow me to start looking at higher end cans that are harder to drive. Personally not a big believer in spending a lot on dacs, but spending an extra $100 to have a nice built in dac, seems like a good deal.

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #1,529 of 6,472

About as significant as it gets, in my opinion. Have owned both (albeit briefly as I wasn't happy with the O2) at the office and they're just in different leagues - especially once you factor in all the functionalities and connections, etc. that the Jotunheim offers. Given how they're priced there's no contest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back