Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 29, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #1,501 of 6,472
How much of an issue was this even? I recall someone a couple pages ago complaining about noise but it turned out to be a bad macbook related thing.

I don't think it is even an issue, just exploring the idea.

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #1,503 of 6,472
  It seems like the Jot really brings higher impedance cans (>150 ohms) to life.
L3000.gif

It does seem to be brutally effective with some fairly heavy headphones!

Sep 30, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #1,505 of 6,472
Nope, you can do SE-SE, SE-BAL, BAL-SE and BAL-BAL with the Jot. It doesn't care- it all works, and works well. The SE is remarkably decent in all cases, but balanced will give you a little more if you use it. That's one of the main things that makes the Jot such a remarkable amp at the price.

So if I
Nope, you can do SE-SE, SE-BAL, BAL-SE and BAL-BAL with the Jot. It doesn't care- it all works, and works well. The SE is remarkably decent in all cases, but balanced will give you a little more if you use it. That's one of the main things that makes the Jot such a remarkable amp at the price.

So if I want to use A Modi MB with the Jot & and still use a balanced connection what would the connection be? In other words I'm using USB from the Jot into my computer now and have the Jot DAC already, but wanna try MB. Same connection as I have now? Would I use RCAs to connect the Jot to the Modi?

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #1,507 of 6,472
So if I
So if I want to use A Modi MB with the Jot & and still use a balanced connection what would the connection be? In other words I'm using USB from the Jot into my computer now and have the Jot DAC already, but wanna try MB. Same connection as I have now? Would I use RCAs to connect the Jot to the Modi?

Yeah, you literally don't need to do anything clever or special to hook the Jot up. Just connect your RCAs from the Mimby to the Jot, and flick the source selector on the front to choose the SE in, and you're good to go. There are no gotchas, it's a very well-designed little amp.

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #1,508 of 6,472

Yeah, you literally don't need to do anything clever or special to hook the Jot up. Just connect your RCAs from the Mimby to the Jot, and flick the source selector on the front to choose the SE in, and you're good to go. There are no gotchas, it's a very well-designed little amp.

Isn't that how you hook any dac/source up to an amp? It aint nanoscience.

Sep 30, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #1,509 of 6,472
Well, since payday rolled in I ordered the Jot. I could resist no longer :wink:

I have an Audeze Deckard on the way, but will probably return that unopened. I plan to use the Jot with HD-650 and a Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart for my office desktop rig. Hope I don't have a problem with my iMac's USB port. Several years ago I did on my home iMac.

I am also wondering if the single box Jot will out do my many years old (two box) PS Audio GCHA and Music Fidelity M1 box with my Audeze LCD2 headphones?

Sep 30, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #1,510 of 6,472

Isn't that how you hook any dac/source up to an amp? It aint nanoscience.

see post #1505 for the original question. It's always good to scroll back a little if you don't understand why an answer is there.

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #1,511 of 6,472

see post #1505 for the original question. It's always good to scroll back a little if you don't understand why an answer is there.

Yes I saw it. It was meant as a joke, but I guess it came out a bit harsh, sorry for that. 

Modi Multibit doesn't have a balanced output, so it is impossible to get it balanced. I wonder though how much difference it would be to have it balanced. If you use really short rca-cables, there are not a long distance to introduce extra noise.

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #1,512 of 6,472

Yes I saw it. It was meant as a joke, but I guess it came out a bit harsh, sorry for that. 

Modi Multibit doesn't have a balanced output, so it is impossible to get it balanced. I wonder though how much difference it would be to have it balanced. If you use really short rca-cables, there are not a long distance to introduce extra noise.

been discussed many time on various threads. Only the most discerning ears can sometimes tell the difference.

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #1,513 of 6,472

It would measure a teeny-tiny bit better. It would be a marginal improvement, not easy to hear.

Having said that, if they released a balanced multibit DAC that stacked neatly with the Jotenheim and was similarly priced, I probably wouldn't be able to resist tearing their arms off for it. It's a bit shameful 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back