Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 20, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #152,506 of 153,935
That was my soon-to-be-spouse and my favorite restaurant in Boston area.

An Il Capriccio story: My best friend (and soon-to-be best man, R.I.P.) was on medication that prevented him from eating anything "aged."
We told the waiter, expecting to be kicked out, and waited. A few minutes later, the chef came out, told my friend he could order anything he wanted and he'd change
it to meet his dietary restrictions. Together (my friend was a foodie) they discussed each menu item, and how it could be modified.

From then on, we _always_ went to Il Capriccio.

This, in stark contrast to Jasper's, in Boston, where we asked some shellfish to be omitted (allergies) and the server said, "Jasper wouldn't like that." :smiling_imp:
I started going back in the mid 80's when it was on Prospect St,. I have two stories:

My wife and I noticed WBZ Newscaster Jack Williams sitting a few tables away - circa 1990. The next morning I felt poorly, and wondered if the seafood app had been bad. Later that day I saw Jack Williams live on TV, and he looked very green. I called up the restaurant, and mentioned that I felt poorly after dining there and had anyone else called. No they said. Well Jack Williams the NBZ News Anchor is on TV right now and he looks green around the gills and he dined there last night. No, we haven't had any complaints - except yours. OK - didn't stop me from going back.

About 5 years later we both had a tasting menu, and both had the various glasses of wine - it was one of the better meals we ever had there. Head home, and the wife lost it, all of it. Ever since she takes a sip of mine, it was the mixing that got her.

There was another Northern Italian place on Moody St. near High St. on the West side of the street around the 450 block - one name, lasted about 7 years in the early/mid 80's, very high end, that place was really good. Italian version of something like La Bocage when it was at its peak. Anyone?

May 20, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #152,507 of 153,935
Nice… I got the right cable, and just this PM subscribed to Qobuz 1 month trial. Another stupid Qobuz question: if I were to choose to BUY something and download a hi-res, where does it GO? On my iPad (and thence to my iCloud backup), or, do I have some “freedom” with the file (for example get it ripped onto an older windows server I’ve got? Or is it sufficiently infested with anti-piracy stuffs that it can ONLY be used on my original download device?

Haven’t tried yet (seems I’m blocked from the download option whilst in the free trial month, but it’d be good to know the “art of the possible”

How did you find the sound quality?? (I’m stuck in my office for the next couple of hours.. :triportsad:
I generally buy from HD Tracks so I have not tried that feature of Qobuz. I was curious about the quote myself.🤪
Heading for a hose, Finnegan decided to dump my tea so he could play with the ice. The before photo. IMG_7949.jpeg

May 20, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #152,508 of 153,935
Nice… I got the right cable, and just this PM subscribed to Qobuz 1 month trial. Another stupid Qobuz question: if I were to choose to BUY something and download a hi-res, where does it GO? On my iPad (and thence to my iCloud backup), or, do I have some “freedom” with the file (for example get it ripped onto an older windows server I’ve got? Or is it sufficiently infested with anti-piracy stuffs that it can ONLY be used on my original download device?

Haven’t tried yet (seems I’m blocked from the download option whilst in the free trial month, but it’d be good to know the “art of the possible”

How did you find the sound quality?? (I’m stuck in my office for the next couple of hours.. :triportsad:
Files downloaded from Qobuz are free of DRM* and may be used wherever you like. I’d recommend saving the files to a SSD/HDD/USB storage media of your choosing.

Since you previously mentioned that you don’t have any ripped or downloaded media I’m somewhat surprised that you’re starting now. This is not a condemnation as everyone has a starting point when it comes to digital media.

If you don’t mind me asking, what are your goals regarding streaming and/or downloaded files?

*Digital Rights Management
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

May 20, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #152,509 of 153,935
My first night listening sesh with the mjolnir 2. Kicking some ass with my HD600s. Makes me question the need for an OTL, at all.
ABX will tell.

May 20, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #152,510 of 153,935
The food in Italy is just awesome, and Bologna in particular is even better. Bettered only (in our experience) by Napoli. ... but a different better, not just a better better... if that makes sense?
Napoli - red sauce and pick pockets.... but yes food is great. Actually the "Marches" "Marche" is the only place that didn't wow me food wise.
Coffee and Gelato is coming from another world in Italy.
And the tomatoes ... OMG

Soooo much to like love!
Trieste has the most amazing coffee, but bad coffee is not a thing in Itay. Gelato anywhere else is not Gelato.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #152,511 of 153,935
Files downloaded from Qobuz are free of DRM* and may be used wherever you like. I’d recommend saving the files to a SSD/HDD/USB storage media of your choosing.

Since you previously mentioned that you don’t have any ripped or downloaded media I’m somewhat surprised that you’re starting now. This is not a condemnation as everyone has a starting point when it comes to digital media.

If you don’t mind me asking, what are your goals regarding streaming and/or downloaded files?

*Digital Rights Management
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management
Goals are simple really. I’m pretty much out of space for physical media, but still want to expand my horizons. CD’s when I can… even LP’s when I can, but have to be selective there. For example, there are huge gaps in my Jazz collection on LP because I started too late, and similar with CD’s instead. Less gaps in my Classical. That, and there’s newer/ish prog bands for which I currently have NO media.

My general thoughts are use streaming to “taste around” whilst learning (hopefully) new artists, and, for the best ones, choose to either source real media (LP or CD) in the real word, or purchase and download, so can use if/when internet is out, etc…. Anything I download must be of CD quality.

My recent addition of Yggy has been a revelation; digital finally really sounds like enjoyable music to me instead of its former un-reality (to ME). As you can likely see here, it’s complete challenged some very long-standing assumptions…

Plus, streaming seems relatively cheap/harmless (he says, famous last words)

May 20, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #152,512 of 153,935
I started going back in the mid 80's when it was on Prospect St,. I have two stories:

My wife and I noticed WBZ Newscaster Jack Williams sitting a few tables away - circa 1990. The next morning I felt poorly, and wondered if the seafood app had been bad. Later that day I saw Jack Williams live on TV, and he looked very green. I called up the restaurant, and mentioned that I felt poorly after dining there and had anyone else called. No they said. Well Jack Williams the NBZ News Anchor is on TV right now and he looks green around the gills and he dined there last night. No, we haven't had any complaints - except yours. OK - didn't stop me from going back.

About 5 years later we both had a tasting menu, and both had the various glasses of wine - it was one of the better meals we ever had there. Head home, and the wife lost it, all of it. Ever since she takes a sip of mine, it was the mixing that got her.

There was another Northern Italian place on Moody St. near High St. on the West side of the street around the 450 block - one name, lasted about 7 years in the early/mid 80's, very high end, that place was really good. Italian version of something like La Bocage when it was at its peak. Anyone?
Know that exact place, can’t remember the name. Last I knew I think Watch City Brewing is in that location now (I stopped working in Waltham in 2007; moving to Texas in 2018). Last at Il Cappricio would have been in 2007. Took a Gartner Analyst to dinner after we did an in depth briefing. Remember that we had a Helen Turley Reserve Zinfandel and a Poggio Antico Brunello. (There were two others with us).

May 20, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #152,513 of 153,935
I first heard of white BBQ sauce here, it was recommended for chicken. Cooked two chickens in the smoker on Saturday. I had never before smoked a chicken. Pulling them was a lot more effort than pulling a pork shoulder. Tried a white BBQ sauce recipe that I found on Southern Living’s web site. It was very good! I used Duke’s mayonnaise, as recommended here. I should have played Sweet Home Alabama, but I didn’t.
Interesting. We took 4 visits to look for the best BBQ. Tenn (Memphis area) & Northern Alabama (Decatur - Big Bob Gibson - my favorite). For beef it's Texas - but we did not get to K.C.. I cook BBQ - dry rub w/ sauce tailored to the meat. Do some great sides too. The Carolinas are too vinegar heavy for me.

May 20, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #152,514 of 153,935
Interesting. We took 4 visits to look for the best BBQ. Tenn (Memphis area) & Northern Alabama (Decatur - Big Bob Gibson - my favorite). For beef it's Texas - but we did not get to K.C.. I cook BBQ - dry rub w/ sauce tailored to the meat. Do some great sides too. The Carolinas are too vinegar heavy for me.
I can understand why vinegar was used in the Carolinas since it is a preservative. Smoking is less of a preservative.

May 20, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #152,515 of 153,935
Well, there's yer problem! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 20, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #152,517 of 153,935
Know that exact place, can’t remember the name. Last I knew I think Watch City Brewing is in that location now (I stopped working in Waltham in 2007; moving to Texas in 2018). Last at Il Cappricio would have been in 2007. Took a Gartner Analyst to dinner after we did an in depth briefing. Remember that we had a Helen Turley Reserve Zinfandel and a Poggio Antico Brunello. (There were two others with us).
no other end of Moody - Watch City is by the river. But it was a loooong time back.

May 20, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #152,518 of 153,935
So far I have tested my HD600's on a BHC I made last year, a very neutral OTC D3a tube amp, a few SS amps over the years, and now this mjolnir 2.
The OTC and mjolnir are my favorites. BHC was great but I didn't like the "turned up to 11", hot, tonality.
I have a BHCs - mine's not hot, but it has a pile of upgrades...

May 20, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #152,519 of 153,935
Goals are simple really. I’m pretty much out of space for physical media, but still want to expand my horizons. CD’s when I can… even LP’s when I can, but have to be selective there. For example, there are huge gaps in my Jazz collection on LP because I started too late, and similar with CD’s instead. Less gaps in my Classical. That, and there’s newer/ish prog bands for which I currently have NO media.

My general thoughts are use streaming to “taste around” whilst learning (hopefully) new artists, and, for the best ones, choose to either source real media (LP or CD) in the real word, or purchase and download, so can use if/when internet is out, etc…. Anything I download must be of CD quality.

My recent addition of Yggy has been a revelation; digital finally really sounds like enjoyable music to me instead of its former un-reality (to ME). As you can likely see here, it’s complete challenged some very long-standing assumptions…

Plus, streaming seems relatively cheap/harmless (he says, famous last words)
The Qobuz Download Store is great for this. You can browse the store (Google for that specifically) even on your phone, like in Safari or whatever, and make purchases from there. You just have to do the download on a PC.

May 20, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #152,520 of 153,935
The Qobuz Download Store is great for this. You can browse the store (Google for that specifically) even on your phone, like in Safari or whatever, and make purchases from there. You just have to do the download on a PC.
Excellent, and it perfectly will fit my approach. I have (from back before life intervened with funding from startup pulled, two family deaths, selling house and moving cross-country; ultimately back again 4 years later). A reasonably high-end full size PC tower, with 4TB of disk (in RAID), and all sorts of other stuff just begging to be a SERVER. Just ran out of TIME/LIFE.

But now, 5 years on, with both boys graduated and fully launched (Oldest just finished his check rides at SWA and goes on the line in PHX next week, youngest just finished first full year at Toyota RD, he’s now the lead engineer on the Tundra Pro’s uber-wild seats), and back landed in a house, I finally have more TIME for these sorts of playing-about.

Hardest thing about those challenging years (two boys in Uni with no income, etc.) was I had to sell about 500 LPs and 100 bottles of my wine collection, to fund the return move and house purchase. And it’s THOSE LP’s that I’m gonna get on hi-rez… (think things like the entire 4AD catalog, and go from there… I was offered stupid money at a time I needed it. I’m thankful. But, I miss a lot of that music more than I thought I would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back