Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 20, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #152,491 of 153,933
May 20, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #152,492 of 153,933
May 20, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #152,493 of 153,933
@Bowmoreman asked about setting up an IPad Pro with Qobuz to a DAC using USB type C to type B and I just did it using an IPhone 15 and Bifrost to Vali 3. I have a charging station I could use for my phone were I not just playing around. It could make for a nice bedside setup if I was so inclined. All solid cherry, a WiiM is also in place if I wanted to stream from it. Now trying WiiM through Bifrost to Vali, I am less impressed but then I am using an optical cable.

IMG_7284.jpegIMG_7286.jpeg
Try it with copper coax.

May 20, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #152,494 of 153,933
This motion sounds like a good one to me; knowing my proclivities. Way back, I *tried* to rip LP’s but the discipline and the sheer amount of real-time involved rapidly made it a failing effort. But, I could see ripping them (CD’s) to hard drive.

What are typical download prices at Qobuz? They don’t say on their website; it’s all about SUBSCRIBE NOW. (Just like all commercial SaaS offerings).

Also, from a lot of lurking on this topic, I settled on Qobuz because of combo of high quality and more likely to fit the music I really like… I despise all things rap, hip-hop and pretty much most of the dreck (In MY opinion, others MMV) of current hip-hop/popular/current music. But love progressive rock, rock, space, jazz, classical, some electronica… Am I right in assuming that Qobuz’ catalog is likely more in line than, say, Tidal would be for me?
As a rough guide, I'd say $10-$20 depending on label, bitrate, etc., with plenty of variance for sales and promotions. The Sublime tier nabs you some really sweet deals.

May 20, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #152,495 of 153,933
But love progressive rock, rock, space, jazz, classical, some electronica… Am I right in assuming that Qobuz’ catalog is likely more in line than, say, Tidal would be for me?
For music from the major labels, Qobuz and Tidal (really all the streaming services) have nearly equivalent catalogs. For small and independent labels, Qobuz has more coverage for classical and jazz, Tidal has more coverage for electronica, space, and progressive.

What are typical download prices at Qobuz?
Download purchase is available in the Qobuz desktop app (Mac/PC), or desktop web player (https://play.qobuz.com/), but not in mobile apps. Open an album and tap on the shopping bag icon.

Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 10.59.45 AM.png

It will show the regular price if you have a standard subscription, or discounted price for Sublime subscription. Sublime is worthwhile if you expect to purchase more than a few albums a year. For some reason, with Sublime hi-res often costs less than CD quality!

Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 11.03.16 AM.png

May 20, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #152,496 of 153,933
Try it with copper coax.
I will check to see if that is feasible. Some tubes just arrived so I am busy with them.
Finnegan is stalking a wild turkey.
IMG_7946.jpeg

May 20, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #152,498 of 153,933
I'm really enjoying Beth Gibbons "Lives Outgrown" on Qobuz, along with a number of songs from the "New Releases" playlist

1716232466786.png

May 20, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #152,499 of 153,933
Try it with copper coax.
I did and the SQ improved drastically lol. Somewhere in my WiiM setup I found an equalizer that I need to find again and shut it off lol.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #152,501 of 153,933
Glad that the change worked for you.:o2smile::L3000:
I also just used the cheap plastic toslink cable that came with the WiiM, but still it was a disappointment. First I had to clean and check some tubes before plugging them into the Vali 3, some short body, chrome top Sylvania 6sn7GTB's. In the event I sell the Freya + I wanted to have a quad of tubes for that purpose and these are testing as NOS.
IMG_7943.jpeg
I saved a lot of space on my desktop by going with a combo midi and mini rack.🤪🤪

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #152,502 of 153,933
For music from the major labels, Qobuz and Tidal (really all the streaming services) have nearly equivalent catalogs. For small and independent labels, Qobuz has more coverage for classical and jazz, Tidal has more coverage for electronica, space, and progressive.

Download purchase is available in the Qobuz desktop app (Mac/PC), or desktop web player (https://play.qobuz.com/), but not in mobile apps. Open an album and tap on the shopping bag icon.

Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 10.59.45 AM.png

It will show the regular price if you have a standard subscription, or discounted price for Sublime subscription. Sublime is worthwhile if you expect to purchase more than a few albums a year. For some reason, with Sublime hi-res often costs less than CD quality!

Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 11.03.16 AM.png
All the comments regarding streaming services and quality have been helpful for me. Being true to myself, I have decided that I don't want anything to do with a streaming service. Until they force me. :wink: I also remembered my wife has a Pandora account. If I have to look up some music I have never heard before from Ripper, I can look there first. If I like it, I will go to BandCamp, 7-Digital, HdTracks, etc. and buy a proper copy. Someone else told me to try YouTube to rough listen to music.

May 20, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #152,503 of 153,933
All the comments regarding streaming services and quality have been helpful for me. Being true to myself, I have decided that I don't want anything to do with a streaming service. Until they force me. :wink: I also remembered my wife has a Pandora account. If I have to look up some music I have never heard before from Ripper, I can look there first. If I like it, I will go to BandCamp, 7-Digital, HdTracks, etc. and buy a proper copy. Someone else told me to try YouTube to rough listen to music.
Pretty much my take on streaming, right there.

May 20, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #152,504 of 153,933
[should be @Paladin79 ]

ME: Nice… I got the right cable, and just this PM subscribed to Qobuz 1 month trial. Another stupid Qobuz question: if I were to choose to BUY something and download a hi-res, where does it GO? On my iPad (and thence to my iCloud backup), or, do I have some “freedom” with the file (for example get it ripped onto an older windows server I’ve got? Or is it sufficiently infested with anti-piracy stuffs that it can ONLY be used on my original download device?

Haven’t tried yet (seems I’m blocked from the download option whilst in the free trial month, but it’d be good to know the “art of the possible”. Ahhh

How did you find the sound quality?? (I’m stuck in my office for the next couple of hours.. :triportsad:

[edit: ninja’d above with the answer from @rkw - thanks but maybe bigger sad-face). Seems if I start on an iOS device, my “owned stuffs” are forever wedded there. Or is it the case that i can surf around my Qobuz content to my hearts content, but if/when I want to download something to, say, my windows rig with oodles of storage, I simply open Qobuz in the browser on the PC, but using my same Qobuz account, and download there/then? (Hope that works).

Sorry for being such an utter prat on this stuff

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #152,505 of 153,933
Once you download a purchase you can do with it as you wish. There's no DRM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back