Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 15, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #12,721 of 153,741
Just to butt in - the IBM Model F is clearly the best sounding keyboard. Those things are capacitive buckling spring goodness. They feel better than the Model M's too. :)

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #12,722 of 153,741
It's not about the sound it's about the feel. What was that about vintage typewriters..,

SM Stom with MX Browns and SA keycaps. The SA's totally remind me of the IBM Selectric's I learned how to type on in 7th grade. I miss the 10-keys though. Not to worry, I have a DIY board coming.

I also like my Apple Keyboard II with the Alps quiet swiches, but it is old and the swiches need replacing. A few of them work intermittently or double tap. Too bad they don't make those switches. I'll get around to maybe replacing them all with with Matias clicky's.

Mechanical keyboards are like Multibit...one you use(hear) them, you can't go back. It's funny how mechanical keyboards also fell away about the same time as 1-bit decoding was becoming popular in the early 90's (just to tie it back in to something audio). Although there is a way bigger niche market today for mechs than MB.

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #12,723 of 153,741
Another Matias tactile pro keyboard user here.
Besides the tactile feedback these keyboards have, having the option and shift option key strokes on the keypads is a wonderful feature.
Enough so that I won't go back to a keyboard without them anymore.
And just because I can… © ® ™ ¢ Ω ≈ √ µ ≤ ≥ • ∞ ∂ ∆  π ø Ø ∑ ≠ ± are among the more useful symbols I use, all without having to look them up (I just look down)…
atsmile.gif

JJ

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #12,724 of 153,741
I have this eerie sense of impending doom for all the offtopic we've caused but I'm too passionate about the topic to really be accountable for my actions.

Quote:
SM Stom with MX Browns and SA keycaps. The SA's totally remind me of the IBM Selectric's I learned how to type on in 7th grade. I miss the 10-keys though. Not to worry, I have a DIY board coming.

I actually skipped out on Pulse SA, shame on me now because god knows I regret it - the renders weren't particularly appealing to me at the time for some reason but the real deal definitely looks fantastic. Oh well, not big on blue for my boards regardless and have a ton of SA sets already but still, looks beautiful irl.

If you like Pulse keep an eye out on Massdrop within the next couple weeks, Mitos' Godspeed will be arriving very soon and it is gorgeous. It will also be multisculpted, your choice of 1-1-2-3-4-3 or a flatter profile in the form of a 2-2-3-3-3-3 kit called "Terminal" which I believe is unheard of when it comes to SA sets.

I'm not a fan of Matias' layouts and aesthetics but I sure as hell do love his switches; I ordered Evang's new MiniVan kit that was recently on Massdrop with Matias Quiet switches and the LightCycle DSA set, patiently awaiting its arrival now (and for a while to come). Not a fan of clicky switches as I've mentioned but all of Matias' range is phenomenal imo.

My favourite switches are topre as I've mentioned but within the Cherry and clone(s) range I prefer linears - really into gateron Yellows and reds as they actually feel smoother (less "gritty") than the MX equivalents, vintage cherry blacks are still great though. Whites/clears are also enjoyable, not too big on browns these days but they're still nice switches.

I liked your Multibit to mechanical comparison, they did fall off around the same time. Mechs have completely taken over though realistically, wonder if they'll fall off again at some point in time - I doubt multibit will, at least I'm hoping it won't.

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #12,725 of 153,741
Continuing to derail the thread. I skipped the journey with mechanical keyboards and bought a Topre Realforce straight away when I got back to PC gaming a few years ago. It's a fantastic keyboard, and I have zero interest to dabble with anything else.

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #12,726 of 153,741
Continuing to derail the thread. I skipped the journey with mechanical keyboards and bought a Topre Realforce straight away when I got back to PC gaming a few years ago. It's a fantastic keyboard, and I have zero interest to dabble with anything else.

i use hhkb instead

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #12,727 of 153,741
I love my K70-RGB Rapidfire, the 1.2mm actuation vs 2.0mm of my previous razer blackwidow ultimate is like a whole new world of typing speed. You guys should definitely check them out.

Sep 16, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #12,728 of 153,741

Sorry to continue the off topic, but still haven't found anything better for this for fast, accurate typing due to its excellent tactile feedback.  Noisy as all getout, my go-to keyboard for decades...  Down to my last one, though.

The original Model M is still made.  Mine is in black/grey with a PS/2 cable, but they have USB cables, too.

Too noisy for my office, though.  But I've been tempted to buy one for there, too.

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #12,733 of 153,741
  But how can we get valid samples of the keyboard sound without a proper Multi-Bit ADC to capture the sonic information to distribute to keyboard sonics connoisseurs across the globe?

+1

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #12,734 of 153,741
  I demand two-way blind AB testing to definitively prove which keyboards sound better. 

So far only QWERTY testing is ever discussed.

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #12,735 of 153,741
It isn't readily apparent to me, but reading the manual of the Jotunheim; it appears that in order to take advantage of the potential for two inputs you have to select either a DAC or phono pre-, that if no card is selected that input arrives blanked off.  A nice third option would be a line level input to allow the use of both an outboard DAC and phono pre-, particularly since I already have both and would like to update to multibit someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back