Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 24, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #137,371 of 153,748
Catch-up time.
OUT FOUL SPIRIT! OUT! I CAST THE EVIL CLASS D(EMON) FROM YOUR SYSTEM! IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS AUDIOPHILE, I CAST IT OUT, NEVER TO RETURN! 😮
Ironically, I'm vegetarian (I really should be vegan) and I don't like Class D.
Now, I’m back to those home-made 2 gauge Bi-wires. They’re ugly, but damn do they let the current flow to the Duettas!
Reminds me of a Japanese audiophile saying how the best ICs he'd heard were made from Belden 8402, which is 20 AWG tinned copper. It's cheap, so I have been thinking of trying it.
Finally someone gives some insight as to What plankton meant. I felt like I was missing an inside joke.
I believe it refers to not just hearing the notes, or the detail of notes played on an instrument, but the underlying texture/substance of the music when listening. The best I've experienced this was with a system where I could make out how the sound of one instrument bounced off adjacent objects (other instruments?) -- that is, the detail of how sound bounced around the room and objects in it as music was being played.

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #137,372 of 153,748
My ancient powered computer speakers have started hissing so I'm considering replacing them with a Rekkr and a set of speakers, especially after Jason's chapter comments about hiss. I already have a Magni/Modi stack.

Any recommendations for a good budget pair of speakers? Most recommendations I've found are for powered sets.
Sony SSCS5. The price jumps all over the place but I got a pair for under $120. They’re surprisingly decent and upgradable.

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #137,378 of 153,748
That's my concern. I'm not sure what speakers would pair well with the Rekkr. I suppose I could unplug my Elac rears and try them, but that locks me into buying a Rekkr without a fallback.

I've been unsuccessful in my attempts to find a compatible speaker for desk/ tabletop placement. Everyone suggests the Klipsch but they're placement suggestions clearly indicate they aren't designed as bookshelf or desktop speakers. I'm extremely picky about my music, speaker placement is often more important than just about anything else. A great set of speakers improperly placed can be smoked by a mediocre pair with proper placement. Proper 2 channel beats the pants off of surround sound for music with proper speaker placement. Eventually I intend to purchase some Polk bookshelf speakers to pair with a Rekkr because I think they'll probably be fine for near field listening at the desk. If you find something small enough to fit on desk that aren't crazy expensive with unrealistic placement recommendations I am extremely interested.

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #137,379 of 153,748
I've been unsuccessful in my attempts to find a compatible speaker for desk/ tabletop placement. Everyone suggests the Klipsch but they're placement suggestions clearly indicate they aren't designed as bookshelf or desktop speakers. I'm extremely picky about my music, speaker placement is often more important than just about anything else. A great set of speakers improperly placed can be smoked by a mediocre pair with proper placement. Proper 2 channel beats the pants off of surround sound for music with proper speaker placement. Eventually I intend to purchase some Polk bookshelf speakers to pair with a Rekkr because I think they'll probably be fine for near field listening at the desk. If you find something small enough to fit on desk that aren't crazy expensive with unrealistic placement recommendations I am extremely interested.
I use headphones. Yup. 'phones. Both hard-wired and BooToof but in troof I like the former a bit more.

D'ORTagnan

Jan 24, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #137,381 of 153,748
True Cable Confession!

IMG_20240124_113228548.jpg

I hate these all the same length unruly haywire springs thingies used for supplying 120 volts here in the USA! :)

Over the past decade I have purchased 26 pieces of various Schiit from Sys's to Eitr to Yggy. Of them 15 have had these haywire things. I wish there was a check box on the Schiit website that said:

"I acknowledge opting out of the stock power cord. I will save zero dollars and pay the same for Schiit's NOT putting one in the box as it complicates shipping. I will however be helping the planet by providing more room in the landfills for all the food we throw away!'

I have collected over the years an inventory of cords that would rival bcowen's tube collection:):IMG_20240124_113455301.jpg
YMMV, buyer beware and count the cost before investing in appropriate length power cords of this caliber of esoteric.

And, in this case a blanket statement which I believe is never a useful thing in the hobby does apply here: These power cords sound the same as the Schiit Stock Power Cords! :)They're just easier to work with for me.

Jason, help the planet with an "SSPC" opt out on the order page! I will pay more for less! :)
My experience is that most NEMA 15 to IEC power cables are undersized [less than the 3 x 18 AWG] that they claim to be. Solution? Buy Hospital Grade cables----much larger conductors [14 or 16 AWG], very good terminations, great prices on the surplus market. The only downside? Med cables tend to be 10' or 2 M in length, which means that you can buy hospital grade NEMA or IEC receptacles and enjoy good sound.https://www.mpja.com/Power-Cord-8ft-UL-Listed-NEMA-5-to-IEC-C13-16-3-AWG/productinfo/36514+CB/ is an example of a very affordable 16 AWG tough cable.

Jan 24, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #137,382 of 153,748
I have a single Rekkr with 4 ohm tiny Radial speakers (built by @Paladin79). They are not very efficient, but it gets way louder than I care to listen. They are on my computer desk and only about 3 feet from my head, however, so that may be why. :D

I guess what I'm saying is don't be uber concerned about a mildly inefficient speaker if they are close and you listen at reasonable levels.

**Fancy anti-resonance bands. And don't tell @bcowen, but the inside of a couple of panels in each speaker are lined with small sorbothane sheets. :D
I have the radials driven by a

Gjallarhorn​

and an Emotiva subwoofer. Preamp is Valit 2 +, with Loki Mini + . DAC is a Modi Multibit, preceded by a a Schiit Wyrd. Power is by Chutulla.
This is my office system.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #137,383 of 153,748
It is testament to the design of the Transporter that I needed to spend that much to achieve a real improvement on a device which only cost £1,100 new.
A shout out in appreciation for the Transporter!
I ordered it when it was first announced and it has remained one of my favorite pieces of audio equipment of all time. It completely changed the way I listened to music, and was the first stand alone appliance I knew of (as opposed to general purpose computer) for lossless digital playout. Slim Devices were ahead of their time, but it was not the right product for mass market sales and Logitech.
Enjoy it while you can!
IMG_0761.jpeg

Jan 24, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #137,384 of 153,748

Users who are viewing this thread

Back