Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 19, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #13,472 of 150,898
  I WANT MY DAMN FREYA!

Here's hoping the guys at Schiit aren't currently kicking themselves for being idiots and announcing a product before it's ready for sale. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #13,473 of 150,898
  A couple more answers:

1. No 12V triggers.
2. No standby mode. 
3. No power switch on remote.

These answers sadden me - because I'd been hoping a Freya was what I've been trying to shop for for my use case (to cop the term from your post later): the bedroom system.  Here's the situation:

1. The alarm goes off - it's time to wake up.  I am an inchoate not-yet-human mass of flesh.  I need to start playing the WFMU stream so that the music can be the thread which helps pull me back into consciousness and existence for the day.

2. If in this state I have to stand up and walk across the room to flip on a physical switch, it will kill me.  I need to be able to start the music and have it pull me together so I can gather the gumption to get out of bed.

3. I can start the stream playing using the Roon app on my phone - but doing the right thing with the preamp or integrated amp or preamp/amp combination such that the audio system doesn't have to be left in a state which is unreasonably hot and likely to waste unreasonably much power or component life, yet I can start things with just one eye pried open and both feet still under the covers - that's what I crave.

Of course, just to keep things difficult - of course I want everything to be balanced, from Gumby through the rest of the chain, so it all sounds as good as it can.  So I've been looking at remote-controlled balanced preamps - possibly preamps which can switch a power amp on and off (ahem, 12v trigger), or just preamps (because I'm about 90% sure that the setup I really want in that room is a balanced preamp driving some good active monitors with XLR inputs).

As you'll be aware, such preamps are not thick on the ground, especially at anything near a reasonable price.  I was looking at the little Auralic Taurus Pre (what, about $2200?) or a passive balanced pre with remote (believe it or not, you can easily spend 6 grand for a fancypants one of those;  the Tortuga ones seem like a relative bargain at a shade under $2K ($1100 if you build the kit, which would be fine).  But $700 ready to go would certainly be way better.  Like, buy-it-now better.

And a tube gain stage as an option would be swell as well, in case there were impedance or gain issues which made such a stage necessary - I've always liked the idea of firebottles for gain stages, because they just seem like more linear devices than transistors.  But I don't want to leave tubes burning 24/7.

I don't need many features in the device I'm looking for - I don't even need extra inputs, I expect the thing will basically never be asked to play anything but the one balanced input fed by the DAC.  But I need it to be reasonable to leave it in a state which will respond to the remote overnight, and let's just say all day, without worry.  Aside from that, I just need volume control.  And mute would be sweet.

5. [...] or leave the tubes out entirely.

H'mm!  Really?  Tubes pulled and turned on would be an okay state to leave a Freya in long-term?

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #13,474 of 150,898

H'mm!  Really?  Tubes pulled and turned on would be an okay state to leave a Freya in long-term?

If you leave it switched to the Passive or Jfet Buffer Mode. With the tubes out, I do not see any reason why you could not leave the power switch on and use the remote for volume control. There you go, now you can Join the waiting Line, you are in good company 

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #13,475 of 150,898
   I need to be able to start the music and have it pull me together so I can gather the gumption to get out of bed.

Buy a remote controlled power outlet and plug the power strip/conditioner/whatever with your gear on it into the outlet. Leave your gear in the On position and just use the remote power outlet to turn it on and off. I imagine a lot of people would leave their DAC off of that outlet since it seems like most people don't turn those off. 

If you buy a pack of them you can even put a lamp on one of the outlets so you don't have to get up to turn on the lights either.

https://www.maxximastyle.com/electrical-accessories/wireless-remote-outlet-control-system-pack-of-3?gclid=CjwKEAjws5zABRDqkoOniLqfywESJACjdoiGnzPfERSkNdfeLl6_HEcvWb0Uqkx-QzkKuIvR-JC0aBoCx9zw_wcB

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #13,477 of 150,898
Remote plugs can be scheduled just like alarm clocks.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #13,478 of 150,898
  Remote plugs can be scheduled just like alarm clocks.

​Seems to me like a lot of fuss and nonsense to go through just to wake up to music. C L OC K    R A D I O.

Simple.   Save your money for what you want.    I use my work phone's alarm to wake me up.  I then do PT on my fiddler crab leg while listening to music on my Grace Digital Internet Radio set to my "Beatles" station.

Schiit really does a fine job of making fine equipment that is pleasing to the ears, eyes and thankfully enough, the wallet.   I know...Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but love is often blind.  Many music enthusiats listen with their eyes closed.  Why?  They are enjoying a memory made real again via music.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #13,481 of 150,898

​I cannot stand that young man.  He is...How shall I put this without putting him in his place?

He is typical.

It's a good thing he doesn't talk too much in the video.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #13,482 of 150,898

​I cannot stand that young man.  He is...How shall I put this without putting him in his place?

He is typical.

It's clear he thinks a bit too highly of himself but it was still a cool interview because of the subject and subjects. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back