Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 31, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #12,466 of 152,205
very_evil_smiley.gif
  Besides there's no such thing as a light bulb.  It's a lamp. 

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #12,467 of 152,205
AD module? Network renderer module? Open source interface for third parties? Lots of possibilities with Jot.

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #12,469 of 152,205
This new topology is so intriguing that I'm considering getting a Jot even though I have no rational need for another HP amp. Rational? Did I just say rational on Head-Fi? (Slaps own face.)

Beginning to wonder about the new speaker stuff - had assumed it would be built around the Rag-style circlotron. But what if Jason has decided to really throw the audio world a curve ball? Stay tuned...

Back to Jot, how about a tube buffer module? For those who like glass-flavored audio and don't need a DAC or phono pre. Probably have to be the miniature tubes from Vali. Or would it be possible to lay 12AX7s (or the like) horizontally? Maybe one fully inside the case and one poking out the back? A slightly bigger Jot (II?) might have more room, maybe even enough for two modules?

There's a strong draw to get sucked into the hype. I replaced an expensive Naim DAC with Schiit gear, and I'm glad I did, but I could have regretted it. Having heard some of the really hyped gear at CanJam London there's a strong case to listen and make up you mind, rather than be drawn into the hype.

Aug 31, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #12,470 of 152,205
There's a strong draw to get sucked into the hype. I replaced an expensive Naim DAC with Schiit gear, and I'm glad I did, but I could have regretted it. Having heard some of the really hyped gear at CanJam London there's a strong case to listen and make up you mind, rather than be drawn into the hype.

Hype is talk that is not backed up by performance. Schiit delivers performance, most often more performance for the (insert your unit of currency here) than most other companies. Your experience of replacing other gear with a Schiit product, and recognizing an improvement in sonics, along with greater listening pleasure, is far more common than not. That is not hype, that is delivering the Goods.

Aug 31, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #12,471 of 152,205
Hype is talk that is not backed up by performance. Schiit delivers performance, most often more performance for the (insert your unit of currency here) than most other companies. Your experience of replacing other gear with a Schiit product, and recognizing an improvement in sonics, along with greater listening pleasure, is far more common than not. That is not hype, that is delivering the Goods.

Agreed: hype is hype and is independent of performance. Only the the listener can determine if the hype translates into actuality. Whilst my experience of replacing gear with Schiit gear has impoved, in my particular instance, my listening pleasure, it didn't necessarily have to be that way. My point is, is that it is important, if possible, to listen to gear before buying to avoid potentially expensive dissapointment.

Aug 31, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #12,473 of 152,205
  The only "hype" surrounding Schiit Audio products is generated by enthusiasts on this forum.

Well, while I am a fan and will continue to buy Schiit products, my experience has not been completely unblemished.

But this is not the place for it -- this is, after all, Jason's thred, not mine.  And negative experiences with brand names named seem to get deleted immediately!

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #12,475 of 152,205
  I figure I'll use one at or next to my desk, which is located near the back of the living room, behind the couch.  The turntable, front left and right preamp out from my CA home theatre receiver, and an eventual Yggdrasil, all nearby, will be fed into a planned (phono'd) Jotunheim.  Apart from serving obvious headphone duties, said Yodel-Ay-Hee-Hoo will also allow for the selection and output of the aforementioned through a long run of XLRs to the front of the room where a pre and power amp will do the rest.  Perhaps some pivot point Schiit will provide that two channel doody eventually.  I also look forward to a decent ADC.

I had missed that you could switch between single ended input and balanced. Very good post, Turdski!

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #12,476 of 152,205

I don't know if I'm willing to pick nits over light bulb to Edison Effect to Fleming Valve to Audion.  Suffice to say that in there is the line between electrical and electronics.

What he had to say about the 50s through the 90s was much more the meat of the story.

Didn't mean to pick a fight. Apologies to the poster of a fine article. My hobbies are antique electronics, mechanical phono's and audio, both tube, semiconductor and hybrid. The author of the article should have left out the early history he cribbed from Cliff's notes. 

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #12,478 of 152,205
I ran across this blog yesterday: [COLOR=3D7A96]A Tiny History of High Fidelity[/COLOR] by Lynn Olson, which has a chapter on the high dollar audio industry ascendency, he calls "The Fashion-Magazine Gatekeepers Take Over 1980-1990". 

A really interesting and insightful read, starting with the advent of radio at the turn of the 20th century, and his treatment appears fairly even-handed and perceptive, with obvious insider chops.  Well worth the time for an overall background synopsis leading to our current state of affairs.

very interesting essay, albeit a western-centric one.

As someone who was brought up in the east, hi-fi was/is a lot more pluralistic and non partisan as it is in the west.

Brands such as Luxman, Shindo, Ureshi never stopped making valve amplification, and analogue/vinyl might have declined in the mainstream market but was vibrant within the community, not as a clique within a clique that it was in the west.

"Mainstream" publications like Stereo Sound in Japan have always devoted at least 30% of each issue on "vintage" hi fi, alongside the FOTM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back