Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 17, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #12,152 of 153,335

Dual mono design would be great xD. Maybe that suits better for a new range of products instead of the Asgard line (i don't know).

They have that already. The range of products is called the Mjolnir/2.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #12,153 of 153,335
  true
admittedly

but this combo was always a FAVE for me

In my search for newer and better I forgot how daggum good my PreFazor LCD3 sounded with the original Vali.  I never hooked up MB until today to that setup (Bimby).  So much good mojo.  Rocking it today while sick at home.  God, it's so good.

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #12,154 of 153,335
Active speakers, that's what I wanna see from Schiit. Something like KEF's LS50 but with built in amp and DAC. Blow the doors off every overpriced high end speaker out there and cater to the small apartment crowd (with current property prices that'd be pretty much every millennial living in a city!).

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #12,155 of 153,335
Well, if everyone is sharing their wish lists...

I'd prefer a single-ended Asgard-level speaker amplifier.  Something downscale from Ragnarok, but still with trademark Schiit quality.

That said, that (nor any other guess so far) earth-shaking or revolutionary.  I'm very curious.

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #12,156 of 153,335
  Active speakers, that's what I wanna see from Schiit. Something like KEF's LS50 but with built in amp and DAC. Blow the doors off every overpriced high end speaker out there and cater to the small apartment crowd (with current property prices that'd be pretty much every millennial living in a city!).

You'll be waiting a long long time then.

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #12,161 of 153,335
Add to wish list, a solid state amp as good or better than Ragnarok, without the speaker driving part, just a dedicated TOTL headphone amp. 

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #12,162 of 153,335
  Add to wish list, a solid state amp as good or better than Ragnarok, without the speaker driving part, just a dedicated TOTL headphone amp. 

Not sure that'd get you anything, beyond a simpler back-panel.  As far as I know, the only difference between the speaker outputs and the balanced headphone output is the connectors.  There's no additional circuitry for the "speaker driving part".

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #12,163 of 153,335

Not sure that'd get you anything, beyond a simpler back-panel.  As far as I know, the only difference between the speaker outputs and the balanced headphone output is the connectors.  There's no additional circuitry for the "speaker driving part".

It does say it drives speakers at 60 watts per channel? What if that part of the amp was left out for those of us that don't need it? I'm not totally sure I know what I'm asking, lol.  I just know, in a headphone amp for what I'd use it for, I don't need to hook it up to, nor drive any speakers with it. 

edit..sort of like the eddie current black widow, as an example.

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #12,164 of 153,335
  It does say it drives speakers at 60 watts per channel? What if that part of the amp was left out for those of us that don't need it? I'm not totally sure I know what I'm asking, lol.  I just know, in a headphone amp for what I'd use it for, I don't need to hook it up to, nor drive any speakers with it. 

edit..sort of like the eddie current black widow, as an example.

The speaker and headphone outputs are just different connectors coming from the same amplification circuit.

Yes, you get 60 watts for speakers quoted at 8 ohms impedance for speakers (if you connected 8 ohm headphones, you'd get 60 watts there, too).

Divide that by four, for 32 ohm headphones, and that gets you to your rated 15 W headphone output.

Other than a little bit of extra cabling to connect the sockets, and the sockets themselves, the output from the amplifier is the same for both the speakers and there is no additional circuitry involved.  All you'd be doing is removing the speaker connections - and since that wouldn't get you anything sonically, just not using them gets you to the same result.

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #12,165 of 153,335

The speaker and headphone outputs are just different connectors coming from the same amplification circuit.

Yes, you get 60 watts for speakers quoted at 8 ohms impedance for speakers (if you connected 8 ohm headphones, you'd get 60 watts there, too).

Divide that by four, for 32 ohm headphones, and that gets you to your rated 15 W headphone output.

Other than a little bit of extra cabling to connect the sockets, and the sockets themselves, the output from the amplifier is the same for both the speakers and there is no additional circuitry involved.  All you'd be doing is removing the speaker connections - and since that wouldn't get you anything sonically, just not using them gets you to the same result.

I see, that makes sense. In the long run, it would probably be better to have the extra versatility as well, just in case. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back