Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 15, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #12,136 of 153,246

i guess we have gotten ahead of the Japanese!
http://www.wsj.com/video/japanese-audiophiles-are-going-to-extremes/7CDB7E7F-C035-4595-9D5A-42D6D2B4B356.html

So great to see some are into "power rolling" and spending a little more money than I spend rolling tubes. 
gs1000.gif

Aug 15, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #12,137 of 153,246

i guess we have gotten ahead of the Japanese!
http://www.wsj.com/video/japanese-audiophiles-are-going-to-extremes/7CDB7E7F-C035-4595-9D5A-42D6D2B4B356.html

It's a lot easier to use a clean output sine-wave inverter.  I have empirical results on that.

(But no empirical results on it actually improving the audio quality!)

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #12,139 of 153,246
It's a lot easier to use a clean output sine-wave inverter.  I have empirical results on that.

(But no empirical results on it actually improving the audio quality!)

I was wondering if someone was going to post this story since it was on something we we discussing. You see! I am not crazy after all.

And I agree with you, a balanced power regenerator is much cheaper, easier to implement, and works just as good if not better.

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #12,140 of 153,246
I was wondering if someone was going to post this story since it was on something we we discussing. You see! I am not crazy after all.

And I agree with you, a balanced power regenerator is much cheaper, easier to implement, and works just as good if not better.

I don't need balanced power.   As long as it isn't filled with hash, it is good enough.

I mean, in every Schiit product, the first thing that power faces is a transformer, isolating it from the power lines.  You are *far* more likely to get a ground loop (which balanced power won't eliminate any because that's caused by leakage current) than need studio power.

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #12,143 of 153,246
  If it's not balanced you may go round in circles or do catrwheels, or even both......   very taxing......  
blink.gif

It's a olde observation that even having 2 legs for locomotion (spelled balanced), that the stronger leg (i.e. right in right handed people) causes a long distance trekker to continuously veer to the left, ultimately to walk in circles in the absence of pilot landmarks.

It's also accepted wisdom that veering in the opposite direction, i.e. walking clockwise in circles, causes stress, elevated pulse rate, faster pace, etc., aka the pillar scene in Midnight Express.

Is that what you mean?  Extra credit: Is a balanced right audio channel dominant?  What is the significance of 'red'? 
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #12,147 of 153,246
  What sort of changes would you hope to see in an Asgard 3?

Jason already mentioned there's not much to improve in 2 series...

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #12,149 of 153,246
Dual mono amp design will be great.

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #12,150 of 153,246
I just hope that their next amplifier design is a valve one rather than solid state - I've always been a fan of tube sound and its flexibility even though I'm still not exactly versed in rolling but as of late I've been especially bored with SS.

I'm secretly hoping Schiit comes out with an OTL design higher up than the Valhalla, say between the Lyr and the MJ2 or between the MJ2 and the Rag (or even at roughly Rag's price) at some point but I find that fairly unlikely - plus that's definitely not the Schiit Show announcement based off of the fact Jason's mentioned it's something revolutionary, I'm so curious to see what it turns out to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back