Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 3, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #11,416 of 153,408
Today I kept kicked back and listened to Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage, using my ETHER C's, driven by by Yggdrasil and Ragnarock. The Central Scrutinizer sounded so fantastic, through this combo.

Apostrophe is my favorite Zappa album. My father used to listen to Apostrophe at least twice a week. I always loved Zappa when I was a kid because we were both named Frank, and I never knew another Frank before. I thought the dog-doo snow cone bit was hilarious back then (my 5 year old self is still laughing), and the rest of the albums whit flew over my head. Now as a man approaching 30 I love the album for its razor sharp satire and fantastic mastering.

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #11,417 of 153,408
I need to look up Missing Persons, did not know that band was made up of former Zappa members.
smily_headphones1.gif

Except for the singer...
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #11,418 of 153,408
Missing Persons, pretty cool band!

Jul 4, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #11,419 of 153,408

Apostrophe is my favorite Zappa album. My father used to listen to Apostrophe at least twice a week. I always loved Zappa when I was a kid because we were both named Frank, and I never knew another Frank before. I thought the dog-doo snow cone bit was hilarious back then (my 5 year old self is still laughing), and the rest of the albums whit flew over my head. Now as a man approaching 30 I love the album for its razor sharp satire and fantastic mastering.

Not to forget such insightful and WAY ahead of their time songs as I'm the Slime and Dinah-Moe-Hum and Stink Foot

The man was a genius and "The Mothers of Invention" were no slouch either.

JJ

Jul 4, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #11,420 of 153,408
  For me, Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms" left me slackjawed with my Gumby.  That @Baldr mentioned that it was a reference disc back in the 80s for him cemented its reputation for me.

+1, however IMHO "Love Over Gold" (original non-remastered pressing) is an even better recording from a sound quality perspective, it sounds more alive and analoguey (well, it should do as it was originally recorded to tape!).  The music on "Love Over Gold" probably stands up better with age too.

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #11,421 of 153,408
Jul 4, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #11,422 of 153,408
Today I kept kicked back and listened to Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage, using my ETHER C's, driven by by Yggdrasil and Ragnarock. The Central Scrutinizer sounded so fantastic, through this combo.

Not surprised that Zappa sounds so good, the man was a master of the studio and knew how to get good results on tape. I have tried, really tried, to like Zappa and his music. Had a couple of friends who were real devotees, whose opinions I respected. He had a great voice, wicked sense of humor, and you just have to respect his output and wide-ranging compositional skill. Also, he was a superb judge of talent. Besides Bozzio et al, Lowell George was an alum. Even so, I never find myself thinking, gee, must listen to some Zappa today.

My loss, I suppose. There are albums which send me into a state of audio (and musical) bliss, especially through Ygg/Rag, but I'm hesitant to name them...

Jul 4, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #11,423 of 153,408
Master drummer Terry Bozzio played on Joe's Garage and 25 other Zappa albums.  Missing Persons was formed by Terry and Zappa guitarist Warren Cuccurillo and Terry's then-wife Dale was the lead singer.  Dale also appeared on Joe's Garage.

I love all of FZ's work and if you are unfamiliar with him I highly recommend starting with one of his most commercial albums "Apostrophe"

Jul 4, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #11,424 of 153,408
Good listening Zappa for me includes:

Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar

Guitar [Live]

Fillmore East - June 1971

and

Whippin' Post from Them Or Us

and the combo Apostrophe/Overnite Sensation

Discovered him with the classic Freak Out! album in the 60s.

I do not listen to FZ all the time but he must be my rotation.

r2

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #11,426 of 153,408
I've only been to one audio show ( CanJam rmac 2014) and didn't have that much fun, so probably will never go to another. Brought my x5 as a source, but can't for the life of me remember what music I used for demos. That said, I've never even contemplated owning music for the purposes of demoing gear (mine or others') that I wouldn't listen to for pleasure regardless of the gear used. Since I am not all that familiar with most classical music, and can't stand most acoustic jazz, I guess it is a good thing I can't afford high-end gear, since I'll never own any of the music that is apparently de rigeur to show how good one's gear actually is. I'd rather listen to a 128kbps mp3 of music I like on buds from a phone than Diana Krall in hi-res on a million dollar system. Just sayin'.

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #11,427 of 153,408
I've only been to one audio show ( CanJam rmac 2014) and didn't have that much fun, so probably will never go to another. Brought my x5 as a source, but can't for the life of me remember what music I used for demos. That said, I've never even contemplated owning music for the purposes of demoing gear (mine or others') that I wouldn't listen to for pleasure regardless of the gear used. Since I am not all that familiar with most classical music, and can't stand most acoustic jazz, I guess it is a good thing I can't afford high-end gear, since I'll never own any of the music that is apparently de rigeur to show how good one's gear actually is. I'd rather listen to a 128kbps mp3 of music I like on buds from a phone than Diana Krall in hi-res on a million dollar system. Just sayin'.

I agree with this, but I think you may be missing the point.

I hope to pick up tips on new, interesting music that happens to sound good as well.  There's a lot of music out there, too much to consider with no constraints.  So, I constrain it to quality audio (because that matters to me) and styles I like.

I'm certain that I'll hear something new at a show.  I hope I'll hear something I like.

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #11,428 of 153,408
I agree with this, but I think you may be missing the point.

I hope to pick up tips on new, interesting music that happens to sound good as well.  There's a lot of music out there, too much to consider with no constraints.  So, I constrain it to quality audio (because that matters to me) and styles I like.

I'm certain that I'll hear something new at a show.  I hope I'll hear something I like.

Eu contraire sir. I am constantly listening to, and looking for, new music, even in the categories I cited above as not being my favorites. Those categories just happen to be the ones that are simultaneously the ones in which I have had the least success, and also those that are referred to above as being played to death at audio demos/shows. If the compositon and performance of music doesn't appeal to me, the sound quality doesn't mean ****, while I have quite a bit of music that isn't recorded/mastered all that well but either the composition or the performance moves me. I'll listen to whatever you want to play to evaluate how good your megabuck system sounds, but I will never buy or listen for pleasure to music because of its sound quality alone.

Jul 4, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #11,429 of 153,408
  One of the most amazing demos I ever heard was a full-blown MBL Ultimate setup.  Two of the most astoundingly "real" tracks were Taiko drumming from Japan and then the Royal Scots Dragoons.  Bagpipes are great when played well and when reproduced at live dbSPL.

The conversation has moved on, but, just for the record... I don't have any bagpipe music, but I could certainly listen to it from time to time. Scottish, Irish... etc.

And Taiko... oh wow yes!  Now there's  bass thumps to thrill the soul!

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #11,430 of 153,408
Eu contraire sir. I am constantly listening to, and looking for, new music, even in the categories I cited above as not being my favorites. Those categories just happen to be the ones that are simultaneously the ones in which I have had the least success, and also those that are referred to above as being played to death at audio demos/shows. If the compositon and performance of music doesn't appeal to me, the sound quality doesn't mean ****, while I have quite a bit of music that isn't recorded/mastered all that well but either the composition or the performance moves me. I'll listen to whatever you want to play to evaluate how good your megabuck system sounds, but I will never buy or listen for pleasure to music because of its sound quality alone.

Sadly, finding music of poor quality that appeals to me is too easy.  And I agree, sound quality *alone* isn't enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back