Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 3, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #11,401 of 153,411
  One of the most amazing demos I ever heard was a full-blown MBL Ultimate setup.  Two of the most astoundingly "real" tracks were Taiko drumming from Japan and then the Royal Scots Dragoons.  Bagpipes are great when played well and when reproduced at live dbSPL.

Yum, ,Taiko drums.  My wife hates bagpipes so much that if I played any I think she'd skip the divorce and go straight to the murder.

Jul 3, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #11,402 of 153,411
I think I qualify as a Kodo groupie.
Saw them 4 times in US in 4 different cities.
Extended a layover in Munich to see them there and went to Sado Island last year.
They are the best live, but I recommend a cool environment. They get tired in the heat. The performance is not as energetic.

Jul 3, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #11,404 of 153,411
  One of the most amazing demos I ever heard was a full-blown MBL Ultimate setup.  Two of the most astoundingly "real" tracks were Taiko drumming from Japan and then the Royal Scots Dragoons.  Bagpipes are great when played well and when reproduced at live dbSPL.

For a wide variety of instruments, including Cristina Pato's Galician bagpipes, I recommend Bob Belden's wonderful Miles Español, a collection of tracks composed or inspired by Miles Davis and played by some of the best jazz musicians working today (Gonzalo Rubalcaba, John Scofield, Chick Corea, Antonio Sanchéz, Ron Carter, Jack DeJohnette, ...) as well as an amazing assembly of musicians from Mediterranean and Middle Eastern traditions (Cristina Pato, Rabih Abou-Khalil, Jorge Pardo, ...). 

Jul 3, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #11,406 of 153,411
One of the most outstanding experiences I've ever had was witnessing The Royal Tattoo at the Edinburgh Festival.  If you don't think you like the pipes, go see this show.  Your opinion will change.  Or you will be driven insane, one of the two.

Jul 3, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #11,407 of 153,411
In all honesty we are a strange group. I started to learn its ways after about 800 posts and 3-4 years :D

I see you joined this month. Welcome to head-fi...

Ummmm...........I've never figured us out!
Probably never will! :p

Jul 3, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #11,408 of 153,411
As much as I dislike Hotel California, at least it is nice to know some audio show demo rooms use REAL MUSIC that someone might actually listen to.

I am completely, totally, utterly sick of The Eagles
:deadhorse:

Jul 3, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #11,409 of 153,411
I am completely, totally, utterly sick of The Eagles
deadhorse.gif

The Big Lebowski comes to mind. 

Jul 3, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #11,410 of 153,411
I figured I'd ask Jason and Mike when they show up (hopefully!) in Denver about recommended tracks.  I would sort of expect them to refrain from endorsements here for tracks for the same reason they don't talk about other companies' products.

For me, Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms" left me slackjawed with my Gumby.  That @Baldr mentioned that it was a reference disc back in the 80s for him cemented its reputation for me.

Jul 3, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #11,411 of 153,411
Today I kept kicked back and listened to Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage, using my ETHER C's, driven by by Yggdrasil and Ragnarock. The Central Scrutinizer sounded so fantastic, through this combo.

Jul 3, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #11,412 of 153,411
Today I kept kicked back and listened to Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage, using my ETHER C's, driven by by Yggdrasil and Ragnarock. The Central Scrutinizer sounded so fantastic, through this combo.

I only own a few Zappa recordings, but Joes Garage is probably my favorite. Maybe because this was the first Zappa I ever heard as a teen, recently expelled from Catholic school. Hilarious stuff. Also later became a big Missing Persons fan, and never realized that the key members were all in Franks band at the time.

Jul 3, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #11,413 of 153,411
I only own a few Zappa recordings, but Joes Garage is probably my favorite. Maybe because this was the first Zappa I ever heard as a teen, recently expelled from Catholic school. Hilarious stuff. Also later became a big Missing Persons fan, and never realized that the key members were all in Franks band at the time.

I need to look up Missing Persons, did not know that band was made up of former Zappa members.:)

Jul 3, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #11,415 of 153,411

Users who are viewing this thread

Back