Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 25, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #62,372 of 154,918
As I understand it, the Schiit Mega combo buritto filter works by upsampling 16/44, 16/48 files... Curious if anyone hears a difference with HD sources or perhaps I don't properly understand how schiit applies their filter?

Mike's filter is one of the main reasons I am planning to purchase BF2

IMO, HD claiming 32-bits is just a marketing gimmick, because for linear PCM, that dynamic range is on the order of 180 dB (jet engine at 1 foot is around that level). most recordings don't use even 16-bits of dynamic range. also, how many digital recordings were actually captured at 96kHz or faster rates? The music recorded in the 80's and 90's was likely on PCM machines at 16/44 or 16/48 and subsequently upsampled during mixing, mastering, etc so that it could be sold as "HD" at 96, 192, 384kHz.

Mike's filter does indeed do 8x upsampling of 16/44 or 16/48 files to 352kHz or 384kHz, respectively, then fed to the Analog Devices (e.g AD5781, AD5791) DAC chip(s), followed by an analog stage (presumably of first, 2nd, or 3rd order low-pass) to remove the ultrasonic components. Schiit's filters optimize phase and time shift compared to off-the-shelf filters.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #62,373 of 154,918
Jul 25, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #62,374 of 154,918
I love mine and use it every day for work with a pair of HD 4xx's and an Antlion modmic, I haven't really done any critical listening with it, but I haven't disliked what I've heard enough that I'll be retiring my current travel rig (Eitr/Modi MB/Vali 2/Cthulu) to shop duty and will be taking this along with me from now on...
Joke’s on them, I already a work at a nuclear dump site.

Hel will probably fare well against most DAC/amps, but Mojo is no joke.
Is there anything else around the same price that you could rec over the Schiit Hel? I'll be using these headphones. Focal Elegia, Ultrasone Edition 11, Audeze Sine DX, Hifiman Arya. So I need some power that the Hel has which honestly is more than enough. But I want to keep it under $550 Aud which is why the Schiit Hel is a great option for me. I do have a E1da 9038s Gen 2 and Fiio Q5s with the Am3d THX module, they were good but I'd like something that has the power but overall better sq than the two for home use. I am still new when it comes to home use desktop dac/amps. I'll be using my Samsung S20 as source. I got all my Flacs in it haha.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #62,375 of 154,918
Is there anything else around the same price that you could rec over the Schiit Hel? I'll be using these headphones. Focal Elegia, Ultrasone Edition 11, Audeze Sine DX, Hifiman Arya. So I need some power that the Hel has which honestly is more than enough. But I want to keep it under $550 Aud which is why the Schiit Hel is a great option for me. I do have a E1da 9038s Gen 2 and Fiio Q5s with the Am3d THX module, they were good but I'd like something that has the power but overall better sq than the two for home use. I am still new when it comes to home use desktop dac/amps. I'll be using my Samsung S20 as source. I got all my Flacs in it haha.
Not that I've tried... I'm pretty loyal to Schiit, as long as they keep building high quality, no nonsense products right here in good ole USA and stand behind them, I really don't have any need (or want) to try to find something else that may or may not be .003% better in some obscure category that only bats and other creatures might possibly pick up...

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #62,376 of 154,918
IMO, HD claiming 32-bits is just a marketing gimmick, because for linear PCM, that dynamic range is on the order of 180 dB (jet engine at 1 foot is around that level). most recordings don't use even 16-bits of dynamic range. also, how many digital recordings were actually captured at 96kHz or faster rates? The music recorded in the 80's and 90's was likely on PCM machines at 16/44 or 16/48 and subsequently upsampled during mixing, mastering, etc so that it could be sold as "HD" at 96, 192, 384kHz.

Mike's filter does indeed do 8x upsampling of 16/44 or 16/48 files to 352kHz or 384kHz, respectively, then fed to the Analog Devices (e.g AD5781, AD5791) DAC chip(s), followed by an analog stage (presumably of first, 2nd, or 3rd order low-pass) to remove the ultrasonic components. Schiit's filters optimize phase and time shift compared to off-the-shelf filters.
For recording and mixing, I understand potential benefits of higher sampling rates, but for playback of final mix, not so much...

As to MCB filter, does it just upsample at lower multiple for HD sources? My understanding is it worked with 16/44, 16/48... I think I've read BF1 had a NOS mode for 24/192 samples... But I don't know for BF2

As most of what I listen to is 16/44, I'm happy to let the MCB filter do its thing :)

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #62,377 of 154,918
Got a Unison board for my OG Bifrost today. I'd like to congratulate @Jason Stoddard for designing the most complex task a man can undertake. Yes, I'm talking about getting the damn LEDs to align with the chassis holes upon reassembly. I'm pretty sure I need a cigarette lol.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #62,378 of 154,918
Not that I've tried... I'm pretty loyal to Schiit, as long as they keep building high quality, no nonsense products right here in good ole USA and stand behind them, I really don't have any need (or want) to try to find something else that may or may not be .003% better in some obscure category that only bats and other creatures might possibly pick up...
Well then I am sold. I just want something better than my portable set up and I am interested that I can use the Hel for gaming and audio. I read a comparison of it with the Ifi Idsd nano black label and they basically said the Hel has better imaging, separation, soundstage, detail and clarity. That sold me haha. I used to own the Idsd Nano black label but sold it after getting myself a Q5s and E1da 9038s. If the Hel sounds better than the Nano Black label, I know it'll be an upgrade for me :)

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #62,379 of 154,918
Got a Unison board for my OG Bifrost today. I'd like to congratulate @Jason Stoddard for designing the most complex task a man can undertake. Yes, I'm talking about getting the damn LEDs to align with the chassis holes upon reassembly. I'm pretty sure I need a cigarette lol.

AHA! I figured it out - put the electronics into the shell first and THEN add the back piece...

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #62,380 of 154,918
there was a utube video entitled "bifrost full build" or something like that, where they used tweezers to position the led's in place. note that the blue and white led's can be sensitive to static discharge (won't necessarily fail right away too, but sometime later)

also the reason why newer products have the smt led's projecting vertically with light pipes.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #62,381 of 154,918
For recording and mixing, I understand potential benefits of higher sampling rates, but for playback of final mix, not so much...

As to MCB filter, does it just upsample at lower multiple for HD sources? My understanding is it worked with 16/44, 16/48... I think I've read BF1 had a NOS mode for 24/192 samples... But I don't know for BF2

As most of what I listen to is 16/44, I'm happy to let the MCB filter do its thing :)

BF1 is 4x, but will upsample 88.1 or 96 by 2x to 192. similarly BF2 is 1x-8x filter depending on input sample rate

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #62,385 of 154,918

I’d get Hel, especially if it’s also for gaming. If you don’t need the mic input, consider Magni/Modi stack or Asgard with DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back