Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 16, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #16,381 of 151,223
  Anyone see the Yggdrasil review in the latest issue (Feb 2017) of Stereophile?

The subjective reviewer loved it.  However with the objective reviewer who performs the technical measurements, the results were mixed.  He felt the analog circuitry is superbly well designed, but that its digital circuitry is not fully optimized and hoped this could be addressed with a firmware upgrade.

Opinions of Stereophile among many folks are less than favorable but should Schiit decide a firmware upgrade is desired, can the Yggdrasil be upgraded by users in the field or must it be sent back to Schiit?

​I just cancelled both Stereophile and The Absolute Sound.  The former I like not even half as much as the latter but stopped both subs as I can not take the silliness any more.  I shall miss the record reviews...  I may or may not return within a year or so.  So no, I did not see that article. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #16,382 of 151,223
Nice that you don't need to roll tubes. Sadly for my system, tube stage with 5692 tubes gives the best synergy.

I agree the 5692 are absolutely amazing with Freya and Yggy combo. I really wish I could get that sound with new production tubes so I don't feel like I'm burning out by red bases every time I turn on Freya (which is 3-6 times per day).

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #16,383 of 151,223
The Freyas tubes are on once its powered up. If you get into pricey tubes it seems like a waste when watching movies unless you want to pull the tubes every time.
2 Channel gets preference for me too I kept everything separate. I went with smaller wall mountable speakers and a separate AVR for surround sound. For 2 Channel Mani and Bimby feed The inputs on my freya.  If I wanted to use my 2 channel speakers as you are thinking of, I would have the output of the AVR going to a SYS Input and the output of the Freya going to the other sys Input. The SYS output to the power amp. Some may argue more components in the chain  or various other things but this will allow you to switch between 2 channel and AVR with out having to burn through or pull tubes to watch movies.

Wow. I was way over thinking it. Thats such a simple fix. SYS for the win!

Jan 17, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #16,384 of 151,223

​I just cancelled both Stereophile and The Absolute Sound.  The former I like not even half as much as the latter but stopped both subs as I can not take the silliness any more.  I shall miss the record reviews...  I may or may not return within a year or so.  So no, I did not see that article. 

I confess I probably spend more time every day here on Head-Fi than I do reading a new Stereophile when the mailman brings it. I probably ought to unsubscribe on philosophical grounds ... I love the Schiit mentality while Stereophile's unofficial motto sometimes seems to be  "What the world needs now is another $50,000+ turntable" ... but I guess enough of their reviews are interesting that on balance I get my money's worth. At least the magazine itself is inexpensive. 

That said, Herb Reichert's subjective review of the Yggy was very positive. His concluding words were (hope this isn't too long a quote, but I'm at least spending the energy to re-type it by hand) :

"I think it [Yggy] would do a magnificent job of anchoring a giant-killing budget [sic] system.

I believe  this so strongly that I recommend a simple, high-value. music system that I know I could live with forever: the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC ($2399), feeding a Schiit Ragnarok integrated amplifier ($1699) driving a pair of KEF LS50 speakers ($1499). For a total cost of $5497, this system will play my headphones and speakers with equal perspicacity. Cross my heart, it will deliver sky-high musicality as well as oceans of myth and Norse magic. I've listened to this exact setup for almost a year, and if I weren't an audio reporter, I'd keep it and use it until the Fate of the Gods is nigh."

Can't wait to hear everything about the new Manhattan project. Let me be first to suggest it should be named whatever the correct tongue-twisting word for Vineland is, on the theory that the Norsemen probably/possibly made it down to the mouth of the Hudson River.

Jan 17, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #16,385 of 151,223

Can't wait to hear everything about the new Manhattan project. Let me be first to suggest it should be named whatever the correct tongue-twisting word for Vineland is, on the theory that the Norsemen probably/possibly made it down to the mouth of the Hudson River.

Not Odin, if it's really the father of a new digital direction?

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #16,388 of 151,223

The online magazine called Tone Audio has a generous amount of record reviews. You should check it out, if you don't already.

Jan 17, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #16,389 of 151,223
Hi Schiitheads,
Been enjoying my headphone gear for a few months now, and finally put my Mimby on my old JVC RX717 receiver and KLH 900B 3-ways and Sony powered sub from ~15-20 years ago. I think the setup sounds improved with the mimby, and of course I'm drooling over the new 2-channel gear here. I keep thinking new speakers might get the most improvement first off rather than the amp/pre...
My question regards whether anyone is using power amps like vidar with a separate powered sub vs full range floor standing speakers. My current setup uses a dedicated sub out on the JVC, but with a power amp, I'd have to wire it through the speaker inputs.
New to this and just looking for where to improve without spending megabucks on speakers right away

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #16,390 of 151,223
Hi Schiitheads,
Been enjoying my headphone gear for a few months now, and finally put my Mimby on my old JVC RX717 receiver and KLH 900B 3-ways and Sony powered sub from ~15-20 years ago. I think the setup sounds improved with the mimby, and of course I'm drooling over the new 2-channel gear here. I keep thinking new speakers might get the most improvement first off rather than the amp/pre...
My question regards whether anyone is using power amps like vidar with a separate powered sub vs full range floor standing speakers. My current setup uses a dedicated sub out on the JVC, but with a power amp, I'd have to wire it through the speaker inputs.
New to this and just looking for where to improve without spending megabucks on speakers right away

I am Glad you are enjoying the Mimby.  Schiit Dacs works very well in the 2 Channel Arena. Many Say Speakers can make the biggest difference, I would add the caveat speakers can also make the weak spots in your chain somewhat more noticeable and then its down the rabbit hole you go with the upgrades..
As far as Your Sub, that depends on what type of Inputs does your Sub Accept. I have seen some that took the speaker outputs from your amp only and then outputed back to the Main Speakers. More common nowadays is RCA inputs. If your sub has RCA Inputs, you Can Split at the Preamp output before the signal gets to the power amp. Also some pre amps have multiple outputs so no splitting needed, just hookup the sub to the second set of outputs.

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #16,391 of 151,223
Hi Schiitheads,

Depending on the types of inputs on your sub, you could run it off a SE output of the preamp. Freya, for example, as two of them.

Naturally, @bigro got here first.

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #16,392 of 151,223
I am Glad you are enjoying the Mimby.  Schiit Dacs works very well in the 2 Channel Arena. Many Say Speakers can make the biggest difference, I would add the caveat speakers can also make the weak spots in your chain somewhat more noticeable and then its down the rabbit hole you go with the upgrades..
As far as Your Sub, that depends on what type of Inputs does your Sub Accept. I have seen some that took the speaker outputs from your amp only and then outputed back to the Main Speakers. More common nowadays is RCA inputs. If your sub has RCA Inputs, you Can Split at the Preamp output before the signal gets to the power amp. Also some pre amps have multiple outputs so no splitting needed, just hookup the sub to the second set of outputs.

Thanks for the reply. The Sony sub has speaker in/out and also a line level sub input. It's only a single cable from the JVC though, not separate L and R RCA cables. Don't know if that would work from a preamp to combine L and R into one cable. I assume that the crossover in the JVC and the Sony sub deals with what frequencies go to the mains and the sub

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #16,393 of 151,223
  More common nowadays is RCA inputs. If your sub has RCA Inputs, you Can Split at the Preamp output before the signal gets to the power amp. Also some pre amps have multiple outputs so no splitting needed, just hookup the sub to the second set of outputs.

So when I move to a bigger place, my Saga would be able to feed both Vidar and e.g. Elac 2070 simultaneously?

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #16,394 of 151,223
  Anyone see the Yggdrasil review in the latest issue (Feb 2017) of Stereophile?

The subjective reviewer loved it.  However with the objective reviewer who performs the technical measurements, the results were mixed.  He felt the analog circuitry is superbly well designed, but that its digital circuitry is not fully optimized and hoped this could be addressed with a firmware upgrade.

Opinions of Stereophile among many folks are less than favorable but should Schiit decide a firmware upgrade is desired, can the Yggdrasil be upgraded by users in the field or must it be sent back to Schiit?

is it available online?

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #16,395 of 151,223
Thanks for the reply. The Sony sub has speaker in/out and also a line level sub input. It's only a single cable from the JVC though, not separate L and R RCA cables. Don't know if that would work from a preamp to combine L and R into one cable. I assume that the crossover in the JVC and the Sony sub deals with what frequencies go to the mains and the sub

​Not sure if I'm following correctly but if your sub has only one RCA input for bass (ideally it would have a rt and left input) and you someday go to a Schiit preamp then at first try and see you might only need one channel to your sub and give it a listen. The bass that your sub wants generally speaking should be the same in both channels. Then you could combine them and see if it sounds OK and if you get more bass if you need it, one would think that nothing would or could feed back with them combined since it's preamp out to sub in only. The other preamp outputs then go directly to the power amp (Vidar) where you connect your speakers. I can't imagine the sub itself not having a cross over frequency control and volume as that would be imperative in this type set up. Just thinking out loud.......oh, and I recall for both Saga and Freya, (paraphrased from their manuals) "if you are using both outputs at the same time it's preferable to not have it hooked to a product that shorts it's inputs when turned off, then that can cause distortion."  Hope this helps and I didn't make it more confusing. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back