Schiit Gungnir DAC
May 11, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #7,096 of 7,161
I’m pretty sure Schiit amps don’t do that though as I have my Gungnir hooked up to both a Folkvangr and a Lyr3 via RCA and it works well with either or both on.
I agree the Schiit amps probably don’t do this. I owned a Freya S before the Wired 4 Sound STP-SE, and didn’t encounter this issue.

The Freya S is a great preamp at its price, but its imaging was too diffuse with my ATC powered speakers (SCM-19As) compared to what I knew the ATCs were capable of. So I sold the Freya to a fellow Head-Fier and found the STP-SE.

Side note in case anyone is looking at preamps: The STP-SE has a similar clarity of timbre to the Freya, but manages to image much more clearly and precisely, while almost sounding tube-like with a lot of air and space in the soundstage. In addition to decent stage depth, it can cast a remarkably wide stage, more than my Ray Samuels Audio The Apache, which is a phenomenal preamp as well.

The STP-SE was described as “b@llsy” by one reviewer, and I agree. When playing dynamic music, especially with deep bass that has texture and detail, the STP-SE compels my subwoofer (Totem Acoustics Storm) to churn out immensely satisfying bass with surprising amounts of detail.

Without meaning to derail this thread- feel free to DM me if you’re looking at preamps. The W4S STP-SE is a gem.

May 11, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #7,097 of 7,161
ELITE pre-amp indeed

May 11, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #7,098 of 7,161
I agree the Schiit amps probably don’t do this. I owned a Freya S before the Wired 4 Sound STP-SE, and didn’t encounter this issue.

The Freya S is a great preamp at its price, but its imaging was too diffuse with my ATC powered speakers (SCM-19As) compared to what I knew the ATCs were capable of. So I sold the Freya to a fellow Head-Fier and found the STP-SE.

Side note in case anyone is looking at preamps: The STP-SE has a similar clarity of timbre to the Freya, but manages to image much more clearly and precisely, while almost sounding tube-like with a lot of air and space in the soundstage. In addition to decent stage depth, it can cast a remarkably wide stage, more than my Ray Samuels Audio The Apache, which is a phenomenal preamp as well.

The STP-SE was described as “b@llsy” by one reviewer, and I agree. When playing dynamic music, especially with deep bass that has texture and detail, the STP-SE compels my subwoofer (Totem Acoustics Storm) to churn out immensely satisfying bass with surprising amounts of detail.

Without meaning to derail this thread- feel free to DM me if you’re looking at preamps. The W4S STP-SE is a gem.

Is it really fair to compare the stp-se to the Freya S? The STP-SE starts at $3,750 USD. I think when saying how great a product is compared to another its only fair to state the price. The WFS is $3k more than Freya S. It damn well better be a far superior product.

Edit: just looked again and the only version available now is the $3,750 although they started at only $2k. Still a lot more than Freya S.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #7,099 of 7,161
Is it really fair to compare the stp-se to the Freya S? The STP-SE starts at $3,750 USD. I think when saying how great a product is compared to another its only fair to state the price. The WFS is $3k more than Freya S. It damn well better be a far superior product.

Edit: just looked again and the only version available now is the $3,750 although they started at only $2k. Still a lot more than Freya S.
Great point!

Indeed, the stock STP-SE is about $ 2,000 new, so your comment is very fair. The reason I didn’t go deeper into that was because I didn’t want to derail this thread.

But full disclosure: I paid $980 for a mint-condition STP-SE. The Freya S I bought and then sold was about $400.

In this case, I’d call that $500+ very well spent in my system. Most of the time in this hobby you can spend twice as much money and only gain 10-20 percent in performance. Not in this case, the STP-SE is more in the 40-50 percent better range, in my estimation- and of course that is a somewhat arbitrary number. 😆

If you search my comments on the Freya S, you will also see I complimented it with regards to its performance vs. my RSA The Apache.

The comparison of the Freya S with products 3-4x or even 5x its price is very much a compliment- and was intended to praise an excellent preamp.

(I’m a big fan of Schiit’s gear and their company overall)

May 11, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #7,100 of 7,161
it's a steal at that price.

May 16, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #7,101 of 7,161
Okay so apparently I can know exactly which version of Gungnir I have by the serial number. Does anyone know which one I have based on the serial number in the photo below?

Attachments

• IMG_5457.jpg
    IMG_5457.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
May 16, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #7,102 of 7,161
Okay so apparently I can know exactly which version of Gungnir I have by the serial number. Does anyone know which one I have based on the serial number in the photo below?
Show me this sticker-

Attachments

• image_2024-05-16_122232923.png
    image_2024-05-16_122232923.png
    309 KB · Views: 0
May 16, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #7,103 of 7,161

Attachments

• IMG_5458.jpg
    IMG_5458.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
May 16, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #7,104 of 7,161
It depends on when it was manufactured. 2018 was when the VCXO upgrade came out with the multibit upgrades. Schiittalker can't look up serial numbers anymore. So best bet is to email Schiit support and see if they can trace the serial number back to when it was made and upgraded. My serial number is 500 higher than yours and has the VCXO clock and multibit upgrade. It's also Gen 5 usb

But my guess is that it's a A2 revision with the VCXO clock. From Schiittalker
"The A1 revision is the original version before we introduced the Multibit magic in the A2."

And serial number L is the last revision with the VCO clock. Came out about 2022

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...most-improbable-start-up.701900/post-17019072

But more importantly, how does it sound?

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #7,105 of 7,161
I did the multibit upgrade with Unison USB recently and it does a two light start up with the USB/ VCXO that lights up sequence is this how yours starts up?

May 16, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #7,106 of 7,161
I did the multibit upgrade with Unison USB recently and it does a two light start up with the USB/ VCXO that lights up sequence is this how yours starts up?

I'll check that later. If it does the two light start up then it's the Unison USB version?

May 16, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #7,108 of 7,161
I'll check that later. If it does the two light start up then it's the Unison USB version?
Unison will be stated right on the USB sticker on the back. But unison has nothing to with the VCXO vs VCO clock.

Unlikely that you have the VCXO clock. More likely it's the VCO clock. Schiit couldn't get the parts for the VCXO clocks past 2022.

May 16, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #7,109 of 7,161
Unison will be stated right on the USB sticker on the back. But unison has nothing to with the VCXO vs VCO clock.

Unlikely that you have the VCXO clock. More likely it's the VCO clock. Schiit couldn't get the parts for the VCXO clocks past 2022.

Well I bought mine used so I don't know when it was made.

May 16, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #7,110 of 7,161

Unlikely that you have the VCXO clock. More likely it's the VCO clock. Schiit couldn't get the parts for the VCXO clocks past 2022
Was the VCXO part of the old boards only? or part of the main circuit board? if so my gumbi was bought second from a user that had since 2016, it was the DS version. I sent mine a month ago, been using it for about a month, love the multibit sound compared to the DS, and I thought the DS sounded amazing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back