Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 14, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #3,766 of 7,161
not sure whats up with Schiit Gungnir at the moment. Why it is out of stock? 

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #3,767 of 7,161
  not sure whats up with Schiit Gungnir at the moment. Why it is out of stock? 

New goodies about to be revealed at coming Schiitshow? 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #3,768 of 7,161
I believe the metalwork is holding up the process on the Gungnir as I contacted Schiit about it the other day. They are definitely not out of stock forever so no need to worry. When they get chassis back in stock, they can stuff them and ship the units. 

Aug 16, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #3,769 of 7,161
Hey schiitheads. So I was one of the original gungnir/mjolnir stack bandwagon jumpers when I bought a pair of LCD-3s three and a half ish years ago. I bought it has an endgame setup into the foreseeable future and has served me pretty well fed from a squeezebox touch server. For reasons completely unknown I'm starting to get that itch again, and the sound of the multibit upgrade for the gungnir intrigues me.

I was always one of the people that found the g/m stack very aggressive and had the propensity to get fatiguing sometimes, even with the darkish LCD-3 classics. I couldn't imagine a brighter headphone with that setup. My question to you guys is how would the Gumby upgrade change things? Would it tone down that aggressive edge or was that the mjolnir all along? I have a lyr as well and the aggressiveness is also present through it, which leads me to believe it could be the dac. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #3,772 of 7,161
I've owned my Gungnir since March of 2013. It replaced a Peachtree Audio iDac, and was an amazing step up. Later, I replaced the Gungnir's USB card with the version 2 upgrade. I have been lurking in this thread for a long time, and am excited to say that I just sent it back to the mother ship to have it brought up to Gumby status! Even though I'm late to the party, I'll post my listening impressions to this thread once I get it back. 

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #3,773 of 7,161
I've owned my Gungnir since March of 2013. It replaced a Peachtree Audio iDac, and was an amazing step up. Later, I replaced the Gungnir's USB card with the version 2 upgrade. I have been lurking in this thread for a long time, and am excited to say that I just it back to the mother ship to have it brought up to Gumby status! Even though I'm late to the party, I'll post my listening impressions to this thread once I get it back. 

Congratulations - you are going to love it. Just remember to give it some time to both warm up and burn in as it will improve from how it sounds out of the box.

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #3,774 of 7,161
  I've owned my Gungnir since March of 2013. It replaced a Peachtree Audio iDac, and was an amazing step up. Later, I replaced the Gungnir's USB card with the version 2 upgrade. I have been lurking in this thread for a long time, and am excited to say that I just it back to the mother ship to have it brought up to Gumby status! Even though I'm late to the party, I'll post my listening impressions to this thread once I get it back. 

I followed a similar path, and IMO the $500 to upgrade the Gungnir to Gumby was the best investment I've made in my HP rigs.  The SQ improved dramatically.  Agree w/ the burn-in comment and keep the Gumby hot going forward.  You will love it.

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #3,775 of 7,161

I followed a similar path, and IMO the $500 to upgrade the Gungnir to Gumby was the best investment I've made in my HP rigs.  The SQ improved dramatically.  Agree w/ the burn-in comment and keep the Gumby hot going forward.  You will love it.

Thanks for the positive thoughts. I have always kept my Gungnir powered on 24/7 since day one. I'll be sure to let it break in before I make my final judgments about what SQ differences the upgrade has brought. 

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #3,776 of 7,161
I've owned my Gungnir since March of 2013. It replaced a Peachtree Audio iDac, and was an amazing step up. Later, I replaced the Gungnir's USB card with the version 2 upgrade. I have been lurking in this thread for a long time, and am excited to say that I just sent it back to the mother ship to have it brought up to Gumby status! Even though I'm late to the party, I'll post my listening impressions to this thread once I get it back. 

Congrats David!

I think the money was worth it.

250 hours is all it should need according to many folks who have burned the Gung in... I let my new digital gear play 3 weeks straight when I get it to make sure what I'm hearing is what I will always hear when I audition.

The wait to burn in your new gear is the hardest part of a purchase.

I leave my DAC on 24/7 as well.

ENJOY

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #3,777 of 7,161
Hi all. I've finally jumped into the Schiit and bought a Gumby (secondhand) to upgrade from my X-Sabre. Having done some reading, I've started wondering if it's worth using a USB to coax/BNC converter. My normal setup is PC > ROON > Audioquest Jitterbug > Audioquest Coffee USB > DAC

Any recommendations?

Aug 30, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #3,778 of 7,161
Hi all. I've finally jumped into the Schiit and bought a Gumby (secondhand) to upgrade from my X-Sabre. Having done some reading, I've started wondering if it's worth using a USB to coax/BNC converter. My normal setup is PC > ROON > Audioquest Jitterbug > Audioquest Coffee USB > DAC

Any recommendations?

In my opinion, it is worth it. I have changed from the internal USB fed by Wyrd to the Singxer F1 USB to coax bridge, also fed by Wyrd. For my ears and my chain, this was a big step and revealed how good the dac really can be.

There is a head-fi thread for this USB bridge: http://www.head-fi.org/t/803111/xmos-xu208-usb-bridges-the-latest-gen-has-arrived

It is not so crazy expensive either, and in the meantime even comes with a proper aluminum case. It is not quite made in USA, though :)

I use Mac Mini / Audrivana -> Wyrd -> F1 -> Gumby BNC

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #3,779 of 7,161

In my opinion, it is worth it. I have changed from the internal USB fed by Wyrd to the Singxer F1 USB to coax bridge, also fed by Wyrd. For my ears and my chain, this was a big step and revealed how good the dac really can be.

There is a head-fi thread for this USB bridge: http://www.head-fi.org/t/803111/xmos-xu208-usb-bridges-the-latest-gen-has-arrived

It is not so crazy expensive either, and in the meantime even comes with a proper aluminum case. It is not quite made in USA, though :)

I use Mac Mini / Audrivana -> Wyrd -> F1 -> Gumby BNC

Thanks gwitzel. Sounds like I might need to find a local supplier of USB-SPDIF bridges (or maybe go via a Chinese site)

Aug 30, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #3,780 of 7,161

Thanks gwitzel. Sounds like I might need to find a local supplier of USB-SPDIF bridges (or maybe go via a Chinese site)

There are ebay offers with international shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singxer-F-1-XMOS-XU208-USB-Digital-Interface-384K-S-PDIF-I2S-DSD256-with-CRYSTEK-/131919964841?hash=item1eb70aeaa9:g:AnAAAOSwFc5XwBhd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singxer-F-1-XMOS-USB-Digital-Interface-Module-XU208-U8-with-CNC-SHELL-all-in-one-/112062071571?hash=item1a176b8313:g:4k4AAOSwZVlXjtP-

I bought from:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/162112976437?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They say they ship from LA and it was very fast delivery (I live in LA).

There is also the more expensive Singxer SU-1 that people use with the Bimby and report great results. This has an own power supply and more output options. For the F1 it is important to feed it with clean 5V USB power (like from the Wyrd).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back