Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jul 14, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #3,751 of 7,209
  I'm curious what folks like for powered speakers.  I'm considering something that would work on my desk (so hopefully less than 10" deep) and go low enough (which I know contradicts my size concerns) to be an upgrade from my old Logitech 2.1 system.  The JBLs look good and are not too expensive.  I don't want to drop $500+ on this - if I want amazing sound I'll just pick up the headphones.

I have been using the Emotiva Airmotiv 5s and 6s in two different near-field systems, and they have never given me any reason to believe something vital was missing from the soundscape they produce.  The 6s has the most potent low end, but 5s and the 4s are no slouches either

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #3,754 of 7,209
I have a set of these $150 electrostatic speakers from FPS (model 200 or 215), with "mid-woofer".  They are decent for computer speakers but I cannot find that they are available anymore.

I also had a pair of (also $149) M-Audio monitors, Model Studiophile AV-40 and I can't remember them being bad (thinking back, I actually built some stands to get them at ear level, placed Vibrapods underneath, and used some $200/pair RCA interconnects I had laying around).  I think these were OK speakers or I'd remember...  I actually still have them on top of the kitchen cabinets for listening to Pandora from the laptop and they work great.  Don't know about audiophile accuracy though. The M-Audio site says these speakers are shielded for use next to a monitor which I'd think is kind of a necessity.  

M-Audio makes at least three kinds of small powered speakers - black wood, carbon, and stained wood for seemingly $150 to $250.  I don't have time to look thoroughly but it seems not all their speakers are shielded.  These three-way powered speakers pictured below don't look too bad, Model M3-8.  Can't see they are shielded though...

I haven't compared the sound of any of these speakers; I only know they are not terrible and when you watch the guy playing bass on YouTube you can actually hear notes being played (as opposed to literally hearing no bass at all with TV or computer monitor speakers).

I have had a Linn Sondek Turntable and still have a Linn Genki CD player, to play through Thiel CS2 speakers, let's say a $5000 setup or more in today's dollars.  So if the M-Audio speakers were awful maybe I'd recognize it.  I researched decent powered desktop speakers seven and five years ago when making these purchases and pretty much squat was available as far as reviews.  So, in two rare times of spending money with no "engineering" data or rigorous reviews to go on, I made these two not too expensive purchases and am not unhappy.

Don't know if I've helped you any, but that was/is my experience.

Addition: after going to the Emotive website - they are a "real", complete, audio company; (assuming they are shielded) I'd not hesitate to get a pair of their Airmotiv 4, 5, or 6 speakers and be content.  

I forgot, I've also used this Behringer UCA 202 Interface ($20?), which is essentially a super cheap DAC one can use to bypass the even cheaper sound card one might have in their desktop?  Anyway, here it is; it works fine for me now in the kitchen, between my wife's MacBook Pro and the M-Audio speakers.  It has an optical out also, if one should ever need it.

I'd think $30 to $99 spent on a Fiio or similar DAC along with any of the Airmotivs would be a pretty darn acceptable solution.

Good Lord, how did we get to this from Gungnir comments and opinions?  Sorry to (continue to) hijack this thread, but there must be thousands of us who would like to have a decent pair of computer speakers instead of the $3 Logitecs that used to come with one's desktop.

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #3,755 of 7,209
I'm curious what folks like for powered speakers.  I'm considering something that would work on my desk (so hopefully less than 10" deep) and go low enough (which I know contradicts my size concerns) to be an upgrade from my old Logitech 2.1 system.  The JBLs look good and are not too expensive.  I don't want to drop $500+ on this - if I want amazing sound I'll just pick up the headphones.

Take a look at the Dynaudio Lyd series as well as the Xeo2, Xeo4, and Excite X14A.

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #3,757 of 7,209
cool.gif
  Forum cops go home. 

Jul 28, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #3,758 of 7,209
Hi, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Gumby, but I need to choose a source.

It's between a bluesound node 2 feeding via toslink or rca, and a microRendu feeding via gumby's USB gen2.

Does anyone have experience of a direct comparison between these two sources with gumby? With either I would be prepared to add a good quality LPS and decent cables in order to get the best from them.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #3,759 of 7,209

It's between a bluesound node 2 feeding via toslink or rca, and a microRendu feeding via gumby's USB gen2.

Does anyone have experience of a direct comparison between these two sources with gumby? With either I would be prepared to add a good quality LPS and decent cables in order to get the best from them.

I've no experience with either of those (yet), however after extensive research as well as being in contact with extremely knowledgeable people whose systems cost double, triple, or more than quadruple of mine and that have tested plenty of streamers/sources I have ordered a microRendu - it has been described to me by more than one person as the best music platform out right now when it comes to pure sound quality, outperforming others upward of pretty much 10 thousand dollars. If that's the case and if you want a 100% clean source I don't think you can go wrong for $650 (+ an upgraded LPS if you want one, I've been advised to).

I'd imagine it will have no problem working with the Gumby or any other DAC.

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #3,760 of 7,209

No Bluesound experience, but I'm feeding my Bimby with a microRendu+Teddy Pardo LPS. This is the latest and best in a sequence of upgrades: 1) SOtM sMS-100+wall wart>USB; 2) sMS-100+wall wart>Bel Canto mLink>S/PDIF coax; 3) sMS-100+Teddy Pardo>Bel Canto mLink>S/PDIF; 4) microRendu+Teddy Pardo>USB. The Gumby has a more advanced USB stage than the Bimby, so maybe the difference would not be as marked, but for sure the microRendu combo helps the Bimby deliver even better clarity and detail. The big revelation was listening to Midori on solo violin Bach and picking the subtle variabilities of string tones as well as her handling of the instrument. As if she was playing a few feet away. Not that the previous setups were bad, but the microRendu with a decent LPS is just a better source for the Bimby. The SQ jump from 1) to 2) was the biggest, from 2) to 3) minor, and from 3) to 4) almost as big as from 1) to 2).

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #3,761 of 7,209
The microRendu has brought enormous gains to the Gumby in my system. I am using the iFI power as I wait on the release of the Uptone LPS-1 linear power supply.

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #3,762 of 7,209
A Gumby is my next purchase, assuming Schiit gets them back in stock soon!

The microRendu has performed some serious "unveiling" in my system and is laying bare the shortcomings of various points in the chain. Another tweak to try: some kind of Ethernet filtration between the file source (in my case, an NAS) and the network. I tried an EMO EN-70HD network isolator ($200) between my wi-fi router (in client/extender mode) and the mRendu. Not so good. Then I tried it between my NAS and the primary wi-fi router. WOW....! There may be some balance issues but I think they are more room problems I'm aware of or the NAS as source, so I may try a Sonic Transporter from Sonore as well.

Anyway, I've been PM-ing folks about DACs and the Gumby is clearly the sweet spot by a country mile over others.

Jul 29, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #3,763 of 7,209

I have no experience with either, but I would like to mention how happy I am with:

2009 Mac Mini / Audirvana -> Schiit Wyrd -> Singxer F1 USB to S/PDIF coax -> Gumby BNC

For me the F1 was a substantial improvement over the USB input of the Gumby. In the F1 thread people have combined it with the microRendu and are really enthusiastic.

Aug 4, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #3,764 of 7,209

I have no experience with either, but I would like to mention how happy I am with:

2009 Mac Mini / Audirvana -> Schiit Wyrd -> Singxer F1 USB to S/PDIF coax -> Gumby BNC

For me the F1 was a substantial improvement over the USB input of the Gumby. In the F1 thread people have combined it with the microRendu and are really enthusiastic.

The unexpected "unveiling" that the Regen and microRendu have brought to my ears is way beyond anything I've heard in audio before. Sure you can hear great stuff once in a while here and there, and even at home, but mostly it's been subtle enhancements. And, to really get better meant $$$$$ (or room tuning that would never pass WAF). The two aforementioned products have really changed the game for me and have done so at a price point almost everyone can reach. Now, those little tweaks like cables are EASILY heard and if you care about something like PRaT or soundstaging, it's pretty obvious.

I'll have to look up the F1 you mention (thanks) as I have been wondering about reclocking the USB output of the microRendu. But, then again, perhaps mR to DAC USB is great enough.

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #3,765 of 7,209

I did set up the JBL 305s on iso-acoustic stands run from a Gumby/MJ2 combo and they sound remarkably good for $275 a pair with a very pronounced sweet spot when working at the computer.  Stands brought out the bass.  Adding the 310 sub takes the SQ (and price) to a different level for a near-field room listening experience and maybe overkill, but the sub doesn't sound essential if you are going to your HPs for the best sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back