Schiit Gungnir DAC
Feb 9, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #3,256 of 7,161
  [size=xx-small]...I'm beginning to now hear how most of my music is compressed…..85% of what I listen to was released within the last 15 years or so, and a lot of it is mastered with little dynamic range…..it's a real downer[/size]…[size=x-small].What is the point of butchering things this way?[/size]…[size=x-small].This pisses me off immensely[/size]…[size=x-small]..[/size]

Welcome to my world!...

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #3,257 of 7,161
  One thing that is really pissing me off about the Multibit Gungnir...

In the last couple months of listening, I'm beginning to now hear how most of my music is compressed. 85% of what I listen to was released within the last 15 years or so, and a lot of it is mastered with little dynamic range. I've noticed it a lot more in vocals especially... it's a real downer. I enjoy the quality of presentation Gumby brings, but it's also very capable of exposing crappy recordings.

Also, it's not like my music has a DR of 4-6... I'm talking a DR of 7-10 or so...

Maybe a soon-to-arrive Schiit product will include an adjustable de-compress controller, where volumes near some 0dB reference point are passed at 100%, but with lower incoming volumes, proportionately larger cuts in volume are made. Sounds easy in principle to non-EE me. (Almost everything seems simple, when you know next to nothing about it.)

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #3,259 of 7,161
gumby or yggi. Decisions...decisions...

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #3,260 of 7,161
Let me help you...
It is actually simple..

If you can afford it, buy Iggy.. If you can't afford Yggy get Gumby..

I love my Gumby, but if I had the funds I woukd have gone Yggy.
Gumby is amazing. I have zero regrets about getting Gumby, but...

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #3,261 of 7,161
Let me help you...
It is actually simple..

I hear ya sir! I've got my heart set on Yggy, but having one of those wavering moments.

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #3,262 of 7,161

Let me help you...
It is actually simple..

I hear ya sir! I've got my heart set on Yggy, but having one of those wavering moments.

I've been in the same boat. I have the money for a Gumby, but  another ~2 mos. and Yggy should be mine. I can't tell you how many times I wavered back and forth thinking I should just go for instant gratification. I keep telling myself this:

1. If I don't buy the Yggy It will always nag me as to how much better it could have gotten.
2. Yggy is a steal at the price and probably gets you to 99% of the most expensive, esoteric DACs - that I would never buy even if I had the money.
3. Any sweet future digital upgrades will likely hit the Yggy before the rest of the line.

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #3,264 of 7,161
I have a GMB and would love to own the Yggy but I don't have a dedicated listening space (yet).  It's quite big and heavy, while I can move the GMB around from storage to the listening area.  I know that's just my personal heartache but it may be relevant.  The Yggy does sound better - one day....

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #3,265 of 7,161
Let me help you...
It is actually simple..

+1

I have stated it before, and I'll state it again. The Gumby was an eye openner for me in understanding the role of a good DAC in your chain. I now agree that DAC's are only second to the effect of a new set of cans on improving the sound. I rethought my inventory as I was going to keep my bifrost uber/Lyr2 after going gumby/MJ2. I'm now in the process of getting rid of the bifrost having moved to a yggy. My gumby is being paired with my lyr2. Yggy / MJ2 is wonderful. (not that gumby was bad mind you)

Put the money in the DAC. Your old favorites will sound new agin. Really.

Feb 12, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #3,266 of 7,161
Hi guys, new to the club lol. I'm set to receive my Gumby tomorrow after I got overnight shipping haha. I guess I'll say a bit about how I got here.

A few months ago I did some radical changing to my inventory and bought an HE-500 (which I sold), a Q701, and later a Lyr 2. Then I got my LCD-2 and have been really satisfied with my setup but something was always off or dissatisfying and I realized it was my old Maverick D1 DAC/Amp combo. It was a decent deal at $200 back in 2010 and did the job but I now just knew it really couldnt keep up with my equipment.

I asked around and everyone talked me down from going in really hard and getting an Yggy or other 2K DACs and said just go for a Bifrost and other stuff around that price. Honestly I just wanted a DAC that stood up to my equipment now and what I'll be getting in the future.

Then I decided I'll just go somewhere in-between and get the Gumby so now I'm here! I am kinda glad I didnt go Yggy so I can spend that money on another pair of phones if I want or a new amp.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #3,267 of 7,161
Cool @B-Dawk20 - just a question... why use Winamp when you can use WinPlay3? 
biggrin.gif

Enjoy Gumby... give it plenty of time to warm-up as well... the presentation changes quite a bit over the course of the first week.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #3,268 of 7,161
Cool @B-Dawk20
 - just a question... why use Winamp when you can use WinPlay3? :D  

Enjoy Gumby... give it plenty of time to warm-up as well... the presentation changes quite a bit over the course of the first week.

Hahaha way before my time! Well. Kinda lol. I do still use classic skin on winamp though. Gotta love that interface. I've gone through foobar, mediamonkey, and a few other players but nothing matches the simplicity and versatility of Winamp imo.

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #3,270 of 7,161
Go buy the Gumby = 95% SQ if the Yggy, smaller Footprint, more euphonic sounding - fantastic price to value ratio.
Most people would't not know the difference between the two DACS if somebody were to  sneak into their house and swap one for the other.

If you already buy "the best" where will go from there ….
So you still can dream of having something better one day. 
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back