Schiit Gungnir DAC
Feb 7, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #3,242 of 7,161
Does anyone here have any real life experience with the Gungnir multi-bit vs. the Resonessence Labs Concero HD? I own the Concero HD and am now considering the Gungnir MB. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Feb 7, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #3,243 of 7,161
Does anyone here have any real life experience with the Gungnir multi-bit vs. the Resonessence Labs Concero HD? I own the Concero HD and am now considering the Gungnir MB. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

I have no intentions of parting ways however with the Concero HD as it does afford me DSD & DXD play back as well as portability. Just wondering about the gumbys sonic presentation.

Feb 7, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #3,244 of 7,161

Definitely get the Gumby, even if you have to wait longer.  The price difference is justified. I tried both and find that decision very easy. ...

Thank you for the reply. I'm really on the fence. Can you tell me if there is a difference between running balanced or unbalanced? Mjolnir 2 maybe too expensive for me to get.

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #3,245 of 7,161
The issue isn't balanced or unbalanced - It's just that the Gumby is better on retrieving detail.
However the Bimby is a fine machine and is a fantastic bargain if you want to venture in to the realm of R2R Dacs.

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #3,246 of 7,161
  The issue isn't balanced or unbalanced - It's just that the Gumby is better on retrieving detail.
However the Bimby is a fine machine and is a fantastic bargain if you want to venture in to the realm of R2R Dacs.

LOL That is what I'm on the fence about. Schiit Audio puts quality into all the products and I like their ethic that is way I'm staying with them. I guess I don't fully understand R2R Dacs though. So the Bifrost Multibit is R2R and the Gungnir is not. Correct?

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #3,247 of 7,161
It's easy.  If you can afford a Gungnir Multibit, get it.  If you can't, but you can afford a Bitfrost Multibit, then get that one.

Feb 7, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #3,248 of 7,161
  It's easy.  If you can afford a Gungnir Multibit, get it.  If you can't, but you can afford a Bitfrost Multibit, then get that one.

Yes sir, I'm leaning toward the Gungnir just wanted a comparison of what they sound like so I might be able to save a little money. I have been all over the internet looking for comparisons on sound and I come up with one or the other but never really a comparison. I have read the differences on delta sigma compared to multibit and choose to go the multibit which seems to have more detail to the music. From what I have read. Just curious the sound between these two one from the other. It seems they my be pretty close to SQ. Tonal qualities maybe different.

Feb 7, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #3,249 of 7,161

LOL That is what I'm on the fence about. Schiit Audio puts quality into all the products and I like their ethic that is way I'm staying with them. I guess I don't fully understand R2R Dacs though. So the Bifrost Multibit is R2R and the Gungnir is not. Correct?

The Gungnir has an upgrade from DS to R2R.  So you could have either.  The upgrade is, I think, around $500.  So the GMB winds up at about $1,250.  I owned the DS Gungnir and loved it, then I upgraded to the GMB.  It was the best decision I've made regarding my HP hobby.  The SQ is much better with the MB technology.  I haven't heard the BMB but there are very favorable reviews on this site.  One thing to remember, the BMB is SE only while the GMB has balanced capability.

Hope this helps,
RCB

ps. Just checked the Schiit website, and the BMB is $599.  The GMB is indeed $1,249.  Just for comparison.

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #3,250 of 7,161

Yes sir, I'm leaning toward the Gungnir just wanted a comparison of what they sound like so I might be able to save a little money. I have been all over the internet looking for comparisons on sound and I come up with one or the other but never really a comparison. I have read the differences on delta sigma compared to multibit and choose to go the multibit which seems to have more detail to the music. From what I have read. Just curious the sound between these two one from the other. It seems they my be pretty close to SQ. Tonal qualities maybe different.

My take after spending lots of hours reading various posts came down to this (for me). The multibit platform was geared by Schiit to focus on the current redbook standard (typical CD's) and pull out as much info as possible and make it sound musical. The three DAC's share this focus. They each do it at different levels, and the levels are in regards to accuracy and details. The common comment you will hear or read about in each units thread is that they are easy and fun to listen to. Although I have not listened to the bimby ( I have the uber) , I did originally get the Gumby. It was such an amazing upgrade to me, that I have since moved on to yggy. I hear schiit in my old favorite CD's (FLAC files now) that I did not know was even there. It's a given that the redbook standard is obsolete in that there are much higher levels of quality of recordings that could be provided to consumers , but the implementation of them is limited. I have a few 24/96 samples myself, but 98% of what I have is redbook. There is allot (amazing amount) of information in that standard that this platform reveals. The revelation for me in moving to the multibit platform was in validating all the previous comments that I had read over the years about DAC's being second only to the headphone (speakers) in the audio chain in regards to impact on sound quality. I never wanted or understood the need to commit that much $$ to a piece of audio equipment that just "converted" digital information into analog. I just never understood this as well as I do now. My suggestion is to get the gumby as it has SE and balanced input/outputs and it will be a good foundation for you moving forward if your goal is to continue to grow and obtain higher quality sound. What ever you end up selecting, it will be a noticable move. (JMHO)

Feb 7, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #3,251 of 7,161

Some have said the Gumby and Bimby in SE mode sound similar. I cannot confirm or deny this. but here are a few posts that may help. I searched for his detailed comparison but could not find it. I have the Bimby because at this point there is no plans to going Balanced . From what I read some say that the Bimby and Gumby sound similar In and SE config with the gumby edging out in some details but in balanced mode the Gumby Grew its horns.. er I mean sprouted wings.

Atomicbob has/ the Yggy, Bimby and Gumby.  Look through his posts, he has also done some great work taking measurements and posting them. He seems to really enjoy the Bimby.  The last I read Mike Moffat was using the Bimby and Vali 2 for one of his listening stations. (That's a great combo by the way.)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/785367/bifrost-mb-technical-measurements
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785365/gungnir-mb-technical-measurements

http://www.head-fi.org/t/785369/yggdrasil-gungnir-mb-bifrost-mb-a-terse-ribald-comparison#post_12015806

http://www.head-fi.org/t/785369/yggdrasil-gungnir-mb-bifrost-mb-a-terse-ribald-comparison#post_12012998

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #3,252 of 7,161
Thanks to all of you really helps out. I had looked ALL OVER the net reading everything I could. Including the differences between DS and Multibit or R2R, as it is also called. The details and musical aspect of multibit is the reason why I want to upgrade. Also the reason I went with the headphones I did. Just did not have enough money to spend a grand on headphones then a grand on a dac. So I read all the reviews on here and decided to go with the 400i. As far as a dac I figured I would stick with something I know. I have had my Magni 2 U for almost 3 years using it off  my sound card then got the Modi 2 U. All I have done I have seen improvement. Improvement in detail and channel separation mostly but still improvement.  So when I read that a multibit dac brings even more out I figured I would take my tax refund and save a little and jump to the next level. Always wished for equipment like this when I was young but money seemed to slip through my fingers. Partying takes money when one is young and foolish. I think I will go ahead and get the Gungnir MB. Have to wait a little but it will be worth it. Rather do that than set and wonder what it would have sounded like. The quality of sound I have now is better than I have ever had. With speakers or headphones from the past. The 400i and M&M stack is like a open window compared to a closed window. I can't wait to here the Gungnir MB if it take things to another level. Wow.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #3,253 of 7,161

Some have said the Gumby and Bimby in SE mode sound similar. I cannot confirm or deny this. but here are a few posts that may help. I searched for his detailed comparison but could not find it. I have the Bimby because at this point there is no plans to going Balanced . From what I read some say that the Bimby and Gumby sound similar In and SE config with the gumby edging out in some details but in balanced mode the Gumby Grew its horns.. er I mean sprouted wings.

Atomicbob has/ the Yggy, Bimby and Gumby.  Look through his posts, he has also done some great work taking measurements and posting them. He seems to really enjoy the Bimby.  The last I read Mike Moffat was using the Bimby and Vali 2 for one of his listening stations. (That's a great combo by the way.)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/785367/bifrost-mb-technical-measurements
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785365/gungnir-mb-technical-measurements

http://www.head-fi.org/t/785369/yggdrasil-gungnir-mb-bifrost-mb-a-terse-ribald-comparison#post_12015806

http://www.head-fi.org/t/785369/yggdrasil-gungnir-mb-bifrost-mb-a-terse-ribald-comparison#post_12012998

Thanks I will read them. I have searched and read a lot. Just did not come up with these. Hard to find things sometimes. Even have done reading on other forums for information. Once again appreciate it. I will post what I think when I get it on here.

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #3,254 of 7,161
  Thanks to all of you really helps out. I had looked ALL OVER the net reading everything I could. Including the differences between DS and Multibit or R2R, as it is also called. The details and musical aspect of multibit is the reason why I want to upgrade. Also the reason I went with the headphones I did. Just did not have enough money to spend a grand on headphones then a grand on a dac. So I read all the reviews on here and decided to go with the 400i. As far as a dac I figured I would stick with something I know. I have had my Magni 2 U for almost 3 years using it off  my sound card then got the Modi 2 U. All I have done I have seen improvement. Improvement in detail and channel separation mostly but still improvement.  So when I read that a multibit dac brings even more out I figured I would take my tax refund and save a little and jump to the next level. Always wished for equipment like this when I was young but money seemed to slip through my fingers. Partying takes money when one is young and foolish. I think I will go ahead and get the Gungnir MB. Have to wait a little but it will be worth it. Rather do that than set and wonder what it would have sounded like. The quality of sound I have now is better than I have ever had. With speakers or headphones from the past. The 400i and M&M stack is like a open window compared to a closed window. I can't wait to here the Gungnir MB if it take things to another level. Wow.

I do not feel you have to defend your choice of the 400i - it is an extremely scalable headphone. One of my favorite setups with it is:

Gumby > Liquid Carbon > 400i

With the foundation of the Gungnir MB and a good amplifier, this is second only to HE1K - at 10X the cost 
eek.gif

Gungnir Multibit is a fantastic foundation! HiFiMan HE400i is a fantastic headphone! You will appreciate the multibit benefits with this setup.

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #3,255 of 7,161
One thing that is really pissing me off about the Multibit Gungnir...

In the last couple months of listening, I'm beginning to now hear how most of my music is compressed. 85% of what I listen to was released within the last 15 years or so, and a lot of it is mastered with little dynamic range. I've noticed it a lot more in vocals especially... it's a real downer. I enjoy the quality of presentation Gumby brings, but it's also very capable of exposing crappy recordings.

I have no idea how/why these artists allow their music to sound the way it does on their albums. What is the point of butchering things this way? A lot of music I enjoy is acoustic... I feel for people who enjoy harder stuff as well.

I can also appreciate 'audiophile' recordings, and it gives me the urge to collect well recorded/mastered, more natural sounding music, but on the other hand, I don't think an appreciation of music needs to solely be based on the technical aspects of the recording. This pisses me off immensely. Thanks Schiit.

Also, it's not like my music has a DR of 4-6... I'm talking a DR of 7-10 or so...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back