Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 31, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #2,311 of 7,093
The Schiit folks are pretty smart in bringing out a MB Gungnir . I heard talk that there was serious consideration in not offering it because
they felt it would cannibilize Yggy sales .

But guess what . Since I had a taste of the MB Gungnir , now I am a lot more interested in hearing the Yggy which I haven't yet . By the way
I upgraded my Gungnir to MB . I did not buy a new MB Gungnir.

Yes I am now a potential Yggy buyer .

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #2,312 of 7,093
But guess what . Since I had a taste of the MB Gungnir , now I am a lot more interested in hearing the Yggy which I haven't yet .

I'm in the other boat... I heard the Yggy, fell in awe/love with the presentation, but just couldn't bring myself to spend that much. I waited happily for the MB Gungnir, and if it approaches the quality of the Yggy, I will be a happy man for years to come (provided that I forget about the Yggy, of course). My Gungnir is with Schiit at the moment getting the upgrade...

I've auditioned the Yggy a couple of times, and each time it absolutely blew me away. Just the sheer amount of detail and resolution in 16 bit 44.1kHz files is astounding... it might be blasphemy, but I will say that in my opinion, the Yggy is as close to an end game vinyl rig as I've ever heard. I have yet to audition any 5 $ figure DACs, but I also don't think it's entirely necessary. These multibit offerings from Schiit are serious performers for their price.

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #2,313 of 7,093
I thought long and hard about ordering a Gungnir MB or an Yggy.  I wanted to be sure I wouldn't turn around and buy an Yggy after hearing Gumby.  I don't think I will because Gumby is so so good and I promised myself not to do that.  So while there may be some loss of sales to Gumby, there will probably be an off-setting addition to sales by Gumby trade-ups to Yggy.  Yggy is very hard to resist but there are some of us who have upper limits and Yggy was just too much for me.

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #2,314 of 7,093
I have to hear this Gungnir MB for myself. My next chance to audition and compare against my own rig will be in November at the annual San Diego meet
frown.gif

I really enjoy my Theta so much and maybe I think Gungnir MB will be the more resolving DAC with better leading edges for the bass and treble.

The Theta has that remarkable ability to sound truly "analog" and without any harshness or grain.

The treble presentation I have always wanted to compare. The Theta never gets "hairy" and when the volume turns up the highs never seem to shift out of place like they do with my Bifrost Uber.

I'm thinking this Gungnir MB will be a slightly more neutral and less forgiving DAC than my Theta DS Pro Progeny. I would like to make the next leap forward towards a balanced chain but my money is fearful of the diminishing returns and spirally road towards minor gains.

Maybe if I get myself a Liquid Carbon the next logical step will be to go fully balanced R2R Gungnir.

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #2,316 of 7,093
I have to hear this Gungnir MB for myself. My next chance to audition and compare against my own rig will be in November at the annual San Diego meet :frowning2:

I really enjoy my Theta so much and maybe I think Gungnir MB will be the more resolving DAC with better leading edges for the bass and treble.

The Theta has that remarkable ability to sound truly "analog" and without any harshness or grain.

The treble presentation I have always wanted to compare. The Theta never gets "hairy" and when the volume turns up the highs never seem to shift out of place like they do with my Bifrost Uber.

I'm thinking this Gungnir MB will be a slightly more neutral and less forgiving DAC than my Theta DS Pro Progeny. I would like to make the next leap forward towards a balanced chain but my money is fearful of the diminishing returns and spirally road towards minor gains.

Maybe if I get myself a Liquid Carbon the next logical step will be to go fully balanced R2R Gungnir.

I will be able to compare both soon. I own the Theta Pro Progeny (which I found was actually Zach's of ZMF prior to my seller) and have the MB Gungnir otw, which is actually my former DS Gungnir now upgraded. I am looking forward to the comparison. It is likely the MB Gungnir will be a significant leap forward.

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #2,317 of 7,093
I will be able to compare both soon. I own the Theta Pro Progeny (which I found was actually Zach's of ZMF prior to my seller) and have the MB Gungnir otw, which is actually my former DS Gungnir now upgraded. I am looking forward to the comparison. It is likely the MB Gungnir will be a significant leap forward.

I would say so. I owned a Theta DSPro Progeny A revision in the 90's. Unfortunately, I sold it, and regretted it ever since, but that's another story... :wink: the Theta Progeny had AMAZING dynamics and had this really cool heft and weight to the bottom end, and it was very driving and tuneful. I am not sure how the Multibit Gungnir will stack up to that, HOWEVER I can say that I feel the Gungnir multibit will surpass the Theta Progeny in terms of soundstaging, inner detail, resolution, tonality and timbre, and probably quite significantly. it may also be more dynamic and driving, but without the two side by side I can't say exactly. But then again every system is unique and it would be interesting to hear your comparisons of the two!  :)

Cheers!
-TRQ

BTW, the standard Gungnir is no slouch when it comes to dynamics and tuneful bass, but then again without the Progeny and Gungnir side by side to compare, I couldn't say for sure what the differences would be between them. I have not tried the Gungnir multibit in the bass woofers of my system yet, but I have heard the standard D/S Gungnir in the bass and it is GREAT!!

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #2,318 of 7,093
I would say so. I owned a Theta DSPro Progeny A revision in the 90's. Unfortunately, I sold it, and regretted it ever since, but that's another story... :wink: the Theta Progeny had AMAZING dynamics and had this really cool heft and weight to the bottom end, and it was very driving and tuneful. I am not sure how the Multibit Gungnir will stack up to that, HOWEVER I can say that I feel the Gungnir multibit will surpass the Theta Progeny in terms of soundstaging, inner detail, resolution, tonality and timbre, and probably quite significantly. it may also be more dynamic and driving, but without the two side by side I can't say exactly. But then again every system is unique and it would be interesting to hear your comparisons of the two!  :)

Cheers!
-TRQ

BTW, the standard Gungnir is no slouch when it comes to dynamics and tuneful bass, but then again without the Progeny and Gungnir side by side to compare, I couldn't say for sure what the differences would be between them. I have not tried the Gungnir multibit in the bass woofers of my system yet, but I have heard the standard D/S Gungnir in the bass and it is GREAT!!

The bass with the MB Gungnir it is tighter and worlds better
than the D/S Gungnir

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #2,319 of 7,093
Actually, what is really cool about the multibit Gungnir, is that it gives you that detail that you crave, but don't realize you crave, when you are listening to the standard Gungnir. The immense soundstage also captivates you and is much more involving with the multibit Gungnir, as opposed to the more intimate soundstage that the standard D/S Gungnir presents.

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #2,321 of 7,093
Great to read all the positive comments about the Gungnir MB upgrade.  My upgraded Gumby shipped today from Schiit Audio.  Overnight to Tennessee.  The people at Schiit are just a delight to deal with - highly professional.  Can't wait to hear the improvement in sound afforded by the MB technology!

Enjoy your Music,
RCB

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #2,322 of 7,093

Cheers!
-TRQ

That is something I can definitely agree on as an owner of one of these. The dynamics, heft, and impact of instruments is something you can really feel with this DAC. This is a very engaging DAC and I'd imagine one of the best single-ended DACs ever made. Other owners of Theta Prime II/Progeny have commented about how it sounds very similar to the Audio-GD DAC-19 DSP which uses PCM1704-Ks. I'm hoping that is the case and that the Gungnir MB will surpass the Theta in those categories. I just want to see if more resolution is possible at this price range or I have to move to the Yggy or find a Gen V.

However, the Theta is assembled of some parts that are no longer manufactured. The GMB is modern and uses the lower model of the same DAC chip used in the Yggy from Analog Devices. Some of those old products were designed right.. no amount of time and technology can always improve upon what was achieved. If you look at the power supply area of the GMB versus the Theta you will see a similarity. Also if you look at the Berkeley Alpha DAC <--one of the better sounding DACs I have ever heard, it uses double transformer power supplies. The power supply I am told is one of the most important components to designing a good DAC. Look at MSB Diamond DAC IV and any other DAC that uses a separate power base like the EAD DSP9000mkiii.

Sep 1, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #2,323 of 7,093
Anyone else notice their Gungnir MB clicking sometimes when you are not playing music? Even if the computer is off, but the DAC is on, it sometimes clicks internally. It's a different click then when changing sample rates, a bit more quiet. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #2,325 of 7,093
For those who have upgraded to the MB, has long has the turnaround time been? I have really been enjoying my Gungnir, so I hate to give it up. However, it sounds like the upgrade is worth the wait.

Schiit received mine Monday morning and it was put in the mail back to me this afternoon.

Too bad it took Canada Post 13 days to get it down to Schiit. Aside from the posting, looks like about 24 hours of time for Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back