Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #1,141 of 1,697
Just out of curiosity, I emailed Schiit about the volume pot scratching noise issues to see if it has been fixed in more recently built units. This is what they had to tell me about it:

"The noise when changing the volume and imbalance at very low volumes is normal for a volume pot of this size. If you do not like how the Fulla operates, you are welcome to request a return within the 15 days."

My Fulla 2 will be arriving today so I'm hoping the volume pot noise won't be very noticeable.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #1,142 of 1,697
Let's talk pot noise, since I mentioned it a few posts back. There shouldn't be an appreciable amount of pot noise in the Fulla 2, and indeed that is the case for the vast majority of them. In some cases, due to production variability, there may be a small amount of pot noise only when turning the knob, and usually only audible if no music is playing. 

In other cases, there is quite a lot of pot noise, audible over the music. In this case, there's usually mechanical damage to the pot, and we can fix that, either with a swap in the first 15 days of ownership, or under warranty afterwards. 

It's important to note that "tweaking" (bending) the pot to attempt perfect alignment causes mechanical damage that results in a lot of pot noise. Don't try to force the pot into alignment.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 24, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #1,143 of 1,697
I'm a little over two weeks in with the Fulla 2.  I still don't notice any channel imbalance, that could be because I usually have the pot at 10 o'clock or higher.

I sometimes notice a very slight scratchiness moving the pot when there is nothing playing.  If i turn the pot up and down a few times the scratchiness goes away.  It's almost as if there is some static build up in it.  

I am using dedicated USB power via a Blackberry Playbook charger which puts out 1.8A.  I found a clearance bin full of them a while ago for $2 a piece and bought a dozen of them.  Not sure if this helps things or not but the power must be cleaner than using the computer power.  Who knows.  I'm still extremely happy with the Fulla 2.  

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #1,144 of 1,697
Let's talk pot noise, since I mentioned it a few posts back. There shouldn't be an appreciable amount of pot noise in the Fulla 2, and indeed that is the case for the vast majority of them. In some cases, due to production variability, there may be a small amount of pot noise only when turning the knob, and usually only audible if no music is playing. 

In other cases, there is quite a lot of pot noise, audible over the music. In this case, there's usually mechanical damage to the pot, and we can fix that, either with a swap in the first 15 days of ownership, or under warranty afterwards. 

It's important to note that "tweaking" (bending) the pot to attempt perfect alignment causes mechanical damage that results in a lot of pot noise. Don't try to force the pot into alignment.

Thanks for the clarification. I was beginning to get a little paranoid about the Fulla 2 that will be arriving today. I'll definitely make sure not to bend the pot into alignment. As someone who does lots of component level PCB repair & troubleshooting at work, this makes perfect sense. Sometimes issues can pop up when vendors build PCB assemblies with different, but (almost) identically spec'd components.

Anyone here using the Fulla 2 with HD558 or 598 (open back) headphones? I'm curious to know what position the volume knob is adjusted to with the HD598 for normal volume levels. I understand the volume levels will vary from person to person, but I'm just curious.

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #1,145 of 1,697
Anyone using the Fulla 2 with HD598 open back headphones? I'm curious to know what position you have the volume knob adjusted to for normal listening and hoping that I will not have an imbalance problem with my HD598 SE.

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #1,146 of 1,697
  Hey Fulla 2 people - I’m just checking on this volume control noise issue.  It’s my understanding that some Fulla 2’s out there do not have the scratchy volume noise, correct?

I’m on my second Fulla 2 and although the low level imbalance is better than it was with my first one, the scratchy noise developed over a few days of use, just like the first one did.  So if there are Fulla 2’s out there without this issue (examples that have been in use for at least a few days) , then I’ll send back the second one for a third.  

The imbalance isn’t a problem, it happens with my Magni 2 (not with my Jotunheim) - but the scratchiness should not happen.  There’s a workaround for the imbalance, but the noise is always there...

Thanks for any info!

I have one without the noise.  I used it for a week and then put it aside -- I bought it for another project that got temporarily sidelined.

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #1,148 of 1,697

I have one without the noise.  I used it for a week and then put it aside -- I bought it for another project that got temporarily sidelined.

It took about 2 months of daily use for my 2nd Fulla 2 before it started making Pot Noise. I replaced the 1st one for being noisy since day 1 and I did not try to adjust or force center the knob. Both were well centered, however I used the 2nd for long period of time, everyday, constantly adjusting the volume on the Fulla 2 since all songs are not recorded the same way.
Jason (Schiit Audio) offered to look at it before "swapping it", however I felt a level of no trust on the "we need to look at it before any solution." However I contacted Schiit and received same answer. Looks like its their norm, not to trust people that buy their products.  I am sorry, but I did not steal anything nor I am trying to take advantage of anyone. Its not my fault the "product" I got from them has a flaw. I dont think I am dealing with Schiit anymore....

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #1,149 of 1,697
My Fulla 2 has no pot noise and no channel imbalance that I can hear.

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #1,150 of 1,697
Anyone here using the Fulla 2 with HD558 or 598 (open back) headphones? I'm curious to know what position the volume knob is adjusted to with the HD598 for normal volume levels. I understand the volume levels will vary from person to person, but I'm just curious.

I'm testing this for you now with HD558's unmodded. The clock on this pot at full silence starts at about 7. There's I'd say about a 5mm rotation to 7.6 and at that level, which would be low level listening the imbalance is real. This is my low level listening volume and I can hear the keys of my mechanical (cherry mx) keyboard over the music as I type (for reference as it might help some).

By 8 the imbalance is more-or-less gone. I know that seems like minutia but I'd rather be too specific as to not inaccurately portray strengths and weaknesses.

By 9 the imbalance is either gone or very hard to notice. This is Normal listening volume to me and the sound of my mech keys are barely audible over the music.

By 10 we are jamming and I can no longer hear anything from my keyboard. There is no imbalance from here onward.

It is true as well that even with the volume at full silence I can still hear faint music playing. This doesn't bother me at all though.

Adding photos for reference and credibility because...credibility.

Below is what I used to test.

Below is 9 o'clock

Below is 8 o'clock

Below is "7.6" o'clock

Below is 7 o'clock or "off"

*edit: formatting

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #1,151 of 1,697
Thanks for that post D Rob, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I never listen to music at the "faint" level so I don't believe the inbalance will be an issue for me. By the way, is that a Logitech G810 keyboard? I have the same one and also with the backlight set to white.

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #1,152 of 1,697
Initial impressions after less than 30 minutes on SQ, it is not bad at all, but it lacks the authority that the Audioengine D1 had with both my dynamic and planar headphones. That product (D1) is more expensive but I find the Fulla 2's SQ at first listen to be inferior in relation to fullness of sound vs thinness, and bass presence and authority. 

Obviously I need more time to evaluate. The volume pot is a hair off center but, eh.. The USB and TRS connections are fine with no issue related to fitment. I do not have a scratchy pot. Channel imbalance exists and is worse on higher sensitivity/lower impedance phones. If that's all I had to listen to, I'm not sure if this would be ideal because low level listening could pose a problem with IEM's or open backs. 

I don't really do reviews but owning other things to compare it to and having some free time I think I will once all the dust has settled. 
Overall first impressions are it's a solid competitive offering. It's not really fair to expand until I've had more time to evaluate it's full merits.

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #1,153 of 1,697
  Thanks for that post D Rob, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I never listen to music at the "faint" level so I don't believe the inbalance will be an issue for me. By the way, is that a Logitech G810 keyboard? I have the same one and also with the backlight set to white.

That good to hear and you're welcome. Yes it is an 810. Great minds my friend great minds lol.

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #1,154 of 1,697
  Initial impressions after less than 30 minutes on SQ, it is not bad at all, but it lacks the authority that the Audioengine D1 had with both my dynamic and planar headphones. That product (D1) is more expensive but I find the Fulla 2's SQ at first listen to be inferior in relation to fullness of sound vs thinness, and bass presence and authority. 

Interesting since I was also considering the D1 before purchasing the Fulla 2. I ultimately chose the Fulla 2 since it requires no extra adapters for my headphones and speakers. The cheaper price was another added bonus.

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #1,155 of 1,697
For those who like to listen at relatively low volume, and are bothered by the channel imbalance...try plugging headphones into the variable line-out on the back of the unit, and control volume with the Volume knob (careful not to plug headphones into fixed line out as it will blast your headphones/ear drums)

Channel imbalance seems to less bothersome with this connection, and sound is as good as the headphone jack on the front, atleast on the lower volumes with easy to drive cans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back