Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 18, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #706 of 2,799
I just got my bitfrost  i'm having problem trying to install drivers for windows 10 I downloaded from schitt website window 10 driver and it keeps asking me to insert usb from bitfrost
when it is.Any suggestions.

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #707 of 2,799
I just got my bitfrost  i'm having problem trying to install drivers for windows 10 I downloaded from schitt website window 10 driver and it keeps asking me to insert usb from bitfrost

Either try older version from Schiit website (1.03) or use native Windows drivers.

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #708 of 2,799

It could be your USB ports also. If you aren't using one of the ones on the back, use those, or try switching to a different port.

I used to have all sorts of problems getting USB dacs to work until I replaced my motherboard. I now have a Gigabyte motherboard with USB DAC-Up and it has been excellent (basically it provides a stable 5V if you need, and you can disable the power in to the USB DAC-Up ports if you don't need it in the Bios).

I think I installed them in this order:
- Download the drivers
- Click Setup
- Turn the Bifrost on after it asks me to (it wasn't switched on before starting the installation)

I got it installed without issue both on my home setup with the Gigabyte motherboard and at work using a USB PCIe card that has its own power.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #709 of 2,799
My MB upgrade arrived in the middle of a house move, and I wasn't able to reassemble my home network (temporarily, with long strands of CAT-6 running from upstairs to the router and NAS downstairs) until today. I kept the Bimby since I got it, just in case. My headphone setup is Synology NAS > SOtM sMS-100 > Bifrost MB > Asgard 2 > MrSpeakers Alpha Primes. Just listening to first few tracks of David Virelles's Mbókò (88.2/24 FLAC), slow piano walks with percussion and bass. The soundstage is deeper than pre-upgrade, with the bass popping out noticeably with its characteristic overtones, and the different drums well separated and their lightest touches better delineated. The piano is clearer, less harsh in the upper register. I had just listened to these same tracks on speakers (Bel Canto C7R > KEF LS50s), which used to best the pre-upgrade Bifrost chain, and now it's the other way round (but that might also be in part because the LS50s are too wimpy for the new living room, REF 1s on order to replace them).

Oct 19, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #710 of 2,799

Had the same problem on 7 and XP

Only fix is to first install the driver for the CMEDIA chip and only then install the Schiit drivers
CMEDIA driver is installed by asking windows update to perform it. I guess one needs internet access? (don't know if the driver is a generic one). The chip is recognised as a USB composite device.

The CMEDIA is then always seen as connected (when it is physically the case of course) and the Schiit drivers install correctly.

Hope this helps, I don't understand why it doesn't appear in the Schiit USB FAQ... (or even the install procedure)

Oct 19, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #712 of 2,799

I am glad I am not the only one who calls it a bitfrost.

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #714 of 2,799
  I prefer Buber.  Fraggle Rock was my favorite show.

That's actually Boober.

The only Buber is this guy:

which probably explains why Uberfrost is the more popular nick. :)

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #716 of 2,799
Bifrost arrived. Word of advice. Plug it in and let it run without listening for about an hour ( I think that's been said ). It sounded terrible when plugged in cold. Been running for about an hour while I was in meetings.  The volume went up substantially. I am hearing things I didn't hear in the Buber and I'm not really paying attention.... previous posts note that it reaches normal operation at about 4 hours, I expect to be crying tears of joy as I put it through it's paces this evening.

Oct 19, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #717 of 2,799
  Bifrost arrived. Word of advice. Plug it in and let it run without listening for about an hour ( I think that's been said ). It sounded terrible when plugged in cold. Been running for about an hour while I was in meetings.  The volume went up substantially. I am hearing things I didn't hear in the Buber and I'm not really paying attention.... previous posts note that it reaches normal operation at about 4 hours, I expect to be crying tears of joy as I put it through it's paces this evening.

Yep. @Baldr has indicated that the Bifrost Multibit reaches 99% at ~4 hours of runtime. I've left mine on for days now and he seems to be right. I refrained from even listening to it the first time until it was on for 4 hours because I didn't want to taint my perception, but I did try it cold when I plugged it in at work for the first time. It's not a night and day difference, but it does seem to sound better once its warm.

Oct 19, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #718 of 2,799
fedex says mine will be here tomorrow 
tongue.gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #719 of 2,799
Right now I have been back on my Theta rig and have stayed here for awhile because of its fun and powerful sound signature. The Bifrost MB is more detailed in the highs but I find myself preferring the Theta for its bass and midrange presence. Also the Theta has a higher than normal voltage output so it will make your amplifier sing lower on the volume knob. I see this as critical to getting a more dynamic sound from your average amplifier like an Asgard 2. Not a fair comparison when looking at the internals for the Bifrost MB versus the Theta Progeny. Here are images to see what they look like:

As you can see here the Bifrost is built for being stackable with the amp series and fitting this product line form factor. The Theta was built for big box stereo hi-fi and has more of a "warhammer" design. All of the Progeny, Prime II, Basic III used this same type of PCB I believe. Word on the internet is that the Progeny has a uniquely authoritative and weighty sound which is something that the Bifrost MB doesn't quite have. Bifrost MB is very good though and the main improvements were that it has natural timbre and the spacious soundstage of Gungnir and Yggy. Form factor will limit the dynamics and characteristic weight to the sound of the GMB, Yggy, and Theta. All of them have more oomph to their power supply which is probably why they sound more dynamic and powerful.

Oct 19, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #720 of 2,799
fedex says mine will be here tomorrow :p

Looking forward to your comparison with an upgraded Havana. I'm thinking of doing the exact same Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back