Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 11, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #466 of 2,799
Today I brought my Bifrost out of my 2 channel and hooked it up in place of my Modi in my HP set up. Windows>JRiver>Flac>USB>Bifrost Uber>Valhalla2>DT990 600Ω. What a difference it was. I know it's been said, but it blew me away. I was hearing things in tracks I had listened to at least 50 times. New different parts of the songs popping up that I had been missing all along. I got upset at this with the third track in a row, took off the headphones and was pissed. Now I have reason to upgrade the Modi, and a Gungnir MB should sound better than my Modi or Bifrost. Time to save up and get it. I am happy to report I grabbed and beer and decided to enjoy the music rather than be mad at it.

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #467 of 2,799
Looks like quite a few people ordered the MB upgrade over the weekend. The queue is now up to 60. Mine has been inching down among the single digits since late last week. Hopefully I'll get my upgrade email to send it in today or tomorrow.

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #468 of 2,799
  Today I brought my Bifrost out of my 2 channel and hooked it up in place of my Modi in my HP set up. Windows>JRiver>Flac>USB>Bifrost Uber>Valhalla2>DT990 600Ω. What a difference it was. I know it's been said, but it blew me away. I was hearing things in tracks I had listened to at least 50 times. New different parts of the songs popping up that I had been missing all along. I got upset at this with the third track in a row, took off the headphones and was pissed. Now I have reason to upgrade the Modi, and a Gungnir MB should sound better than my Modi or Bifrost. Time to save up and get it. I am happy to report I grabbed and beer and decided to enjoy the music rather than be mad at it.

Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.
atsmile.gif

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #469 of 2,799
  Looks like quite a few people ordered the MB upgrade over the weekend. The queue is now up to 60. Mine has been inching down among the single digits since late last week. Hopefully I'll get my upgrade email to send it in today or tomorrow.

I never did get a queue number from the link they sent me. It was cool, she was back to me in under a week. Mailed Saturday, arrived at the mothership on Monday, shipped Tuesday, arrived at house Thursday. It's hard to beat that.

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #470 of 2,799

I never did get a queue number from the link they sent me. It was cool, she was back to me in under a week. Mailed Saturday, arrived at the mothership on Monday, shipped Tuesday, arrived at house Thursday. It's hard to beat that.

That makes sense if you were one of the first to order the upgrade. I'm guessing they started the "you are number X of Y" link after they had a dozen or two to load the queue.

I waited too long. Initially I was just going to sell my Bifrost because I wanted balanced outputs. (Gumby) But my curiousity got the best of me and I figure I'll just keep the bifrost for another year or more and then maybe go straight up to the Yggy.

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #471 of 2,799
Truth. I'm not hating on the impressions, but listening for yourself is always the best. It seems that any DAC upgrade always ends up with "tighter bass, less fatiguing highs, more space, better imaging, more organic and/or less digital."

You forgot to add, "I heard things on the tracks I hadn't heard before with my previous ______  (fill in the blanks).   And if you're using speakers instead of headphones, you also have to add how your wife was outside mowing the lawn but came running in to ask you if you got something new because the system sounded so good, then she sat down on the sofa and listened with you for the next 10 hours. 

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #472 of 2,799
You forgot to add, "I heard things on the tracks I hadn't heard before with my previous ______  (fill in the blanks).   And if you're using speakers instead of headphones, you also have to add how your wife was outside mowing the lawn but came running in to ask you if you got something new because the system sounded so good, then she sat down on the sofa and listened with you for the next 10 hours. 

Lol! My wife wouldn't even listen if I begged her. Not her cup of tea. Haha.

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #475 of 2,799

That happens to me ALL the time! 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #477 of 2,799

So true!!! :D

When I read statements like these, I always shake my head. If you go back to your old gear, you will hear those things now. Just change the volume and your wife has no chance to tell the difference between DACs walking by your speakers.

Oct 12, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #479 of 2,799

So true!!! :D

When I read statements like these, I always shake my head. If you go back to your old gear, you will hear those things now. Just change the volume and your wife has no chance to tell the difference between DACs walking by your speakers.

This is true, but what can sometimes happen, as it did for me on the Bifrost MB, is that even with the Uber, there's this part on the Muse song Space Dementia at the end where there's static and a loud discordant instrument or synth sound that hurts my ears.  All I ever noticed with the instrument because it actually hurt and I was focused on it.  After getting the MB upgrade, that painful noise was much, much less harsh and I suddenly heard the static in the background that I never noticed before, because I was so focused on the pain.  I think this, the idea of being focused on a particular instrument or sound, is why people miss certain other sounds in a piece of music.  When you get a different DAC, not even necessarily better, just different, it highlights, or changes the sounds slightly enough that you either notice different parts of the track more/less and it makes other sounds stand out.

I don't think this is BS or people making it up at all, although in some cases it probably is people looking for attention.  I'm as skeptical as they come.  The above instance doesn't happen to me very often, but it did happen on that particular song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back