Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 9, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #421 of 2,799
I've listened to Ænima (whole CD) for almost 20 years now. First time I heard "Eulogy" on my Uberfrost->Lyr->HE 500, i wept. That was my "what the **** have I been listening to all these years?" moment.

I guess I will now be getting an Multibit.

"Thanks, guys.... :angry_face: " says my wallet.

Thanks for the recommendation. Havent listened to Eulogy for a while. It basically blew my mind on the Bimby.

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #422 of 2,799

Really anything besides the latest (which I don't care for much). They all sound pretty congested and flat on a Bifrost Uber. But If I had to pick, anything off of Absolution or Black Holes and Revelations would be ideal.
Thanks!!!

Just got my Bifrost MB hooked up, and sorry to report, it can't fix crapily recorded music.  Flat is flat.  I'm getting a lot less fatigue on Origin of Symmetry, which used to be fairly painful after just a couple songs.  I'm not getting that desire to turn down the volume after the Bifrost MB upgrade.  That harsh edge is gone.  So, that's something.  In fact, that's pretty awesome cause every time I turned down the volume I lost even more range.

EDIT:  Just noticed something on Space Dementia I never noticed before.  That's actually static at the end of the song.  I swear I couldn't tell before.  This is wild.

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #423 of 2,799
Happy to help, and damn, Schiit works fast!  Just got my return shipping notice, complete with tracking.  24-hours to get it, upgrade it, ship it back.  Looks like I'll get to start playing on Tues. :)

Looking forward to your and Rangy's assessment! I should be ordering mine Tuesday, what a great process, hopefully the guys at LH Labs are taking notes...

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #424 of 2,799
Wondering what are the main differences between the older Bifrost Uber and the Bifrost 4490? What are the sonic and measured performance between the two, as claimed on the Schiit website? Has anyone made any comparisons? Are there any big reasons, and is it worth to upgrade to the 4490 from an Uber?

And what are the advantages of the Bifrost Multibit? Anyone know?

Although I have not had any first hand experience, the comments made by owners of some of the Chinese AK4399 based DACs, (the chip used by the original Bifrost (and Uber)) who have upgraded to the 4490 mention an even smoother more analog sound that was already considered a positive trait of the 4399.

Oct 10, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #425 of 2,799

Just got my Bifrost MB hooked up, and sorry to report, it can't fix crapily recorded music.  Flat is flat.  I'm getting a lot less fatigue on Origin of Symmetry, which used to be fairly painful after just a couple songs.  I'm not getting that desire to turn down the volume after the Bifrost MB upgrade.  That harsh edge is gone.  So, that's something.  In fact, that's pretty awesome cause every time I turned down the volume I lost even more range.

EDIT:  Just noticed something on Space Dementia I never noticed before.  That's actually static at the end of the song.  I swear I couldn't tell before.  This is wild.

That was the first thing I noticed when going from Uber - > Theta. Going from Theta and back to MB is much more subtle in difference than the transition I made before which is a good thing because I really enjoy the sound of the Theta.

So far it has been a toss-up for which DAC I prefer. The MB sounds like it has more "detail" and less of a hyped sound than the Theta. They both sound like they were cut from the same cloth, the Theta being the brawnier and slightly more forward sound. Bifrost MB being slightly more neutral and with less bloom in the bass and upper mids. 

Both have excellent staging and imaging. I prefer the highs of the MB over the Theta though. I'm going to need to spend the whole weekend with these two to get a better impression and maybe even post a detailed review and comparison.

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #426 of 2,799

Do you mean, like white noise?
I checked the end of Space Dementia and I can hear that with my computer speakers from my computer sound card and my hearing is far from pristine, it's one of the few sounds in the last 20+ and varies in intensity.
blink.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #428 of 2,799
Oct 10, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #430 of 2,799
Is the volume on the Mulitbit Bifrost set higher than Uber Bifrost? I'm noticing that I have the Lyr 2 set to lower volume than usual. 

Oct 10, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #432 of 2,799
Must be my imagination. Everything sounds so much more forward--in a good way--like all the background layers that are less noticeable or buried in the mix are brought up to the forefront. Especially the vocals, so much more forward and sweeter. It almost makes me feel like the Uber was recessed in the mids. But than, that extends to everything with the Multibit: the bass, the mids, the treble, everything is improved in quality and quantity. Again by comparison, the Uber feels like it was more edgy and dryer and Multibit smoother and sweeter. Great tone and timber.  

A good way to look at it is as if they put a little "tube" (like the ones in the Vali) in the Uber Bifrost Dac. It just smoothes and sweetens everything.  

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #434 of 2,799
  Must be my imagination. Everything sounds so much more forward--in a good way--like all the background layers that are less noticeable or buried in the mix are brought up to the forefront. Especially the vocals, so much more forward and sweeter. It almost makes me feel like the Uber was recessed in the mids. But than, that extends to everything with the Multibit: the bass, the mids, the treble, everything is improved in quality and quantity. Again by comparison, the Uber feels like it was more edgy and dryer and Multibit smoother and sweeter. Great tone and timber.  

A good way to look at it is as if they put a little "tube" (like the ones in the Vali) in the Uber Bifrost Dac. It just smoothes and sweetens everything.  

That description is music to my ears.

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #435 of 2,799

Not your imagination unless it's me too imagining this. This are just more in focus, sharper, but not edgy. More detail, emphasis, dynamics. Whatever you want to call it. It's an improvement across the board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back