Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 8, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #331 of 2,799
I'm listening to it cold out of the box and I'm loving every minute of it. I hear more detail and speed in the high frequency than the Theta but none of that digital sound of the Uber.

The soundstage was the biggest difference. No more claustrophobic Uber soundstage and back to the massive Theta combo burrito soundstage. Although the Bifrost MB has you sitting another row or two back, but in a good way. Theta was actually beat in soundstage size so far (10 minutes of warm up Bifrost MB)

Right out of the box it sounds very natural and neutral at the same time. No doubt in my mind though that right away this chip is more accurate than the 18-bit one in my Theta. The Theta comes across as more fuzzier in the upper detail but still very convincing. I am having to get adjusted to this more neutral sound than the Theta. I still think the Theta has a more pleasing bass response but the cold Bifrost MB is awfully close and I'm hoping will pull through and win there. (hard to beat two transformers of the Theta though)

If you have an Uber get the upgrade right away. You will hear what all the fuss is about!

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #332 of 2,799
Just got this nice email from Schiit:

Dear <me>,

We’ve received your product for upgrade!

Now, give us a couple of days to do the work, test the result, and burn it in. Then it
will be on its way back to you!

We’ll send another email when it’s been shipped, with a tracking number.

All the best,

Schiit Audio        

FWIW, I shipped it Priority Mail (USPS) from VA on Tues. afternoon, and it got to Schiit today.  Patience... must... learn... patience 
wink.gif

I'm definitely impressed with the way Schiit has implemented the upgrade process.  I am patient by nature, but I do like being kept in the loop.  And, this is exactly why I bought the Bifrost to begin with.

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #333 of 2,799
  Your review makes me wonder if the Multi-bit can save the Imagine Dragons album.  I love that album on a car or home stereo, but it's almost painful to listen to with headphones. 

Nothing can save a poorly written record, IMO.

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #334 of 2,799
Yep,  I found tracks that I used to pass over made me stop and Listen. I was talking to the wife this morning and I had Tunes on in the background and I stopped talking a few times because My brain could not process what I was hearing. HA HA She must have thought I had turrets or something.
" Yeah so ................ Umm uh I let the Do.........g outside and Ill take the....................... trash out"   

Its been on for two days but I seems to really settle down after a few hours. Enjoy.

Quote:
  Ok, first impressions cold out of the box....

Moar bass, greater sense of impact at lower volumes, much less digital hash (and I never thought the Bifrost Uber had an issue in this regard), greater sense of space, and lovely decay of instruments. This is using Mac Mini, Wyrd, Lyr 2, and HE-500. As an example, on the latest album by Low in the second song there is a repetitive smashing of a cymbal (I think it's a cymbal). Before I didn't like listening to it and would usually skip the song to save my ears. With Bimby instead of sounding like aggressive digital hash it was pretty nice. I could hear more details with no ear pain. That so far is the most stand-out impression I've had in the first 15 minutes. Lovely. 

I'd say it's worth the $250 upgrade...even if it doesn't get better after warming up. 

I don't know if it's an expectation bias in me, but I love how it sounds. Very natural and effortless, without any "sizzle". Detail retrieval is very good.

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #336 of 2,799
Just curious, for those who just ordered the multibit upgrade, what is the turnaround time like between ordering and receiving authorization to send in the unit?  

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #337 of 2,799
  Just curious, for those who just ordered the multibit upgrade, what is the turnaround time like between ordering and receiving authorization to send in the unit?  

I shipped mine last Friday and received it today. So if you ship on a Friday you can get it before the next weekend.

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #338 of 2,799

I placed my order Monday and was something like 42 in line. I just checked and I'm #8 now. I'm thinking it will be tomorrow or Monday when they give me the go to send it.

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #339 of 2,799
I shipped mine last Friday and received it today. So if you ship on a Friday you can get it before the next weekend.

Same here.

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #341 of 2,799
Thanks all (regarding wait time).  Just to clarify, I was asking for the waiting time from ordering to when Schiit said to send the unit to them, and not the turnaround time once it was shipped to them.  But thanks!

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #342 of 2,799

Your review makes me wonder if the Multi-bit can save the Imagine Dragons album.  I love that album on a car or home stereo, but it's almost painful to listen to with headphones. 

I'm not sure about Imagine Dragons, but Tool sure is a lot more listenable. :)

Maybe someone can check to see if it "fixes" any of the older Muse releases?

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #343 of 2,799
Oct 8, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #344 of 2,799
  Thanks all (regarding wait time).  Just to clarify, I was asking for the waiting time from ordering to when Schiit said to send the unit to them, and not the turnaround time once it was shipped to them.  But thanks!

For myself it was like 5 minutes.

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #345 of 2,799
I'm so jealous.  My Bifrost MB doesn't get delivered back to me till tomorrow.  At least I'll have it for the weekend.  Oh what a good weekend this is going to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back