Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Dec 22, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #497 of 1,112
My issue is different, but possibly related. I have a glitch only when I use MusicBee with Wasapi on initial play, the playback warbles. The solution is to select a track, let it play for a second, then select another track and the problem goes away. If I don't select another track, which forces a stopping of play, the warble will continue from song to song until the selection is done playing. The problem disappears on my next play selection.

This does not happen when I use MusicBee with ASIO or with other music players, such as Foobar and PlayPcmWin all with Wasapi. The Eitr replaced a Yellowtec PUC2 which did not have this problem, but it was bested by the Eitr.

So I think it is not just the driver, but how the music player interacts with it. I haven't had any stability issues with ASIO, but the googling I have done on Wasapi vs. ASIO seems to favor Wasapi over ASIO. Maybe that is only because Wasapi is newer and newer must be better.

I did extensive a-b-ing between Asio and Wasapi and always favoured Asio in multiple setups. Wasapi sounds dryer/flatter/less wide according to my ears. Asio sounds more extended in highs and lows and more lush. I think you get the most of Asio when you use a dedicated driver.

Dec 22, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #499 of 1,112
I did extensive a-b-ing between Asio and Wasapi and always favoured Asio in multiple setups. Wasapi sounds dryer/flatter/less wide according to my ears. Asio sounds more extended in highs and lows and more lush. I think you get the most of Asio when you use a dedicated driver.

What is your opinion of using the generic ASIO driver with the Eitr?

Dec 22, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #501 of 1,112
Again, the Eitr lights up ONLY when it has power on the USB input.
Err, exactly my point. What made it unclear to you?

Dec 22, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #502 of 1,112
Well, after waiting a month on the backorder and USPS taking 7 days to deliver a "Priority Mail 2-Day" package (knew I should've went with Fed-Ex), I finally, FINALLY got my Eitr. I immediately plugged it in to my Modi Multibit and I noticed an immediate improvement over the TOSLINK out I was using from my motherboard. It could be the "new toy" honeymoon period talking but so far, this little guy appears to be worth the price of entry. I'll have to do some serious A-B testing to see if the coax input is really that much better than the optical out of my motherboard but regardless, I'm pleased with the performance of the Eitr and it's earned its spot in my set up so far.

Dec 22, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #503 of 1,112
Please, let's not turn yet another thread into a cable debate. If they work for you then more power to you. End of story.

Some claim that the Eitr makes all USB cables sound the same. We are finding out now that is just not true. If you are using a mid-fi system built around a low cost Schiit stack that might be true, but on a highly resolving system USB cables do make an audible difference. The problem is the better sounding cables are expensive and are not worth the expense unless you have a truly high end system. However, it is much less expensive to add more resolving cables to Etir than go with Rednet.

As I use Eitr more with different USB and S/PDIF cables if I notice an audible difference the higher end guys should know about I will certainly share.

Dec 22, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #504 of 1,112
Please, let's not turn yet another thread into a cable debate. If they work for you then more power to you. End of story.
:point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2:

Cable debates (ESPECIALLY digital) are...bleh.

Dec 22, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #506 of 1,112
I do feel that Kernel Streaming (KS) output in foobar2000 gives superior result than both ASIO and WASAPI. It is a very *slight improvement though. Less than 5%, but once you try KS you might not want to look back. The music has a better flow and sounds less "digital".

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_ks

*one slight improvement can cost more than $200. Here it is free.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #507 of 1,112
I do feel that Kernel Streaming (KS) output in foobar2000 gives superior result than both ASIO and WASAPI. It is a very *slight improvement though. Less than 5%, but once you try KS you might not want to look back. The music has a better flow and sounds less "digital".

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_ks

*one slight improvement can cost more than $200. Here it is free.

I don’t agree, but I think it differs from driver to driver. Just check all three and decide which one you like the most (asio, wasapi, ks).

Dec 23, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #508 of 1,112
Well I just hooked up the Eitr to my mac ,Jotenheim and MB Modi.

Superb improvement as the the sound is fuller ,more spacious and detailed. I found myself turning down the volume
from the level I normally have it , a sure sign that the noise floor has dropped.

A steal at the price it is sold at.

Dec 23, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #509 of 1,112
I don’t agree, but I think it differs from driver to driver. Just check all three and decide which one you like the most (asio, wasapi, ks).

Might also has a bit to do with the music itself. I listen to music that covers wide range of frequencies. A slight glare or digital noise added is better perceived when the music plays at that same frequency where the noise is. Just saying. But I agree at the end it is best to try all output and decide with our own ears what is best.

Another good free improvement is to resynch internet time by left clicking on the time at the bottom right of your screen (window 7), change date and time settings, internet time, change settings, Update now. Bingo. Another 5% improvement for free. :)

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #510 of 1,112
Better USB cables, e.g. the Audioquest Diamond and Cofffe make a considerable difference. When I was first started using digital devices, I used some good, but not great USB cables from Kimber (Silver) and Audioquest (Carbon). Originally, I didn't think, that with digital signals, a higher specification USB or SPDIF cable should make a difference, but much to my surprise, in listening tests with four individuals present, they did. Virtually every person agreed on the improvements and the degree of improvement. I eventually bought used Audioquest Diamaond and Coffee USB cables for my high-resolution Conrad-Johnson loudspeaker system and they improved the sound quailty from my digital source considerably. As did the Shunyata 75 ohm digital coax RCA SPDIF cable for my Eitr. Its not sublte; anyone can hear the improvements these cables bring. As for what people should spend their money on, its for each person to decide what creates a value proposition for them when it comes to audio gear. If you were to ask Wasupdog, I would bet you breakfast that he's not giving up his Audioquest Coffee USB cable. For me, the Audioquest Diamond/Coffee cables made such a significant improvement, that buying them used for 50% off retail was a value propostion for me.

Oh, and BTW, what makes even more difference are aftermarket power cables e.g. Shunyata.

I agree about the AudioQuest Diamond USB. Trying the Mad Scientist FCG digital cable from the Eitr to DAC+ right now still forming an opinion. Also trying out the DigiFlex Gold Digital Audio Cable from River Cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back