Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Jan 2, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #1,036 of 1,112
Hello:

If someone could take a look at my issue here described and give me any feedback, I'd sure appreciate it.

When I power up my 2 channel/computer/Eitr system and choose a track, what I hear (not every time mind you) is great distortion/static with the music faintly being heard through it all. This happens with both WAV and YouTube tracks and only after powering off my Eitr and turning it back on does it rectify itself. That is the point - only after I power off my Eitr and turn it back on does the static vanish from my system never to be heard from again that is until I turn my system back on the following morning and even then it might not do it until the next morning after that when I power it back on. My question is: 1) what could possibly be going on? 2) does this sound like my Eitr could have a problem 3) any suggestions on remedies?

Thanks so very much for any thoughts,

Chuck

Jan 2, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #1,037 of 1,112
Hello:

If someone could take a look at my issue here described and give me any feedback, I'd sure appreciate it.

When I power up my 2 channel/computer/Eitr system and choose a track, what I hear (not every time mind you) is great distortion/static with the music faintly being heard through it all. This happens with both WAV and YouTube tracks and only after powering off my Eitr and turning it back on does it rectify itself. That is the point - only after I power off my Eitr and turn it back on does the static vanish from my system never to be heard from again that is until I turn my system back on the following morning and even then it might not do it until the next morning after that when I power it back on. My question is: 1) what could possibly be going on? 2) does this sound like my Eitr could have a problem 3) any suggestions on remedies?

Chuck

I would contact Schiit and ask them. If your EITR is still under warranty they can repair or replace it (provided they have any stock left).

Jan 2, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #1,039 of 1,112
Hello Jimmy: So you think it sounds like the problem is the Eitr and not something else?

Not sure. However, Schiit can determine if the EITR is the problem, or another component. Best of luck!

Jan 7, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #1,040 of 1,112
Hello:

Chuck
Sounds like your computer is re setting to default driver. Just go to control panel and set to Eitr as default. Then reboot .

Jan 9, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #1,042 of 1,112
Another query: when I first placed the Eitr into my 2 channel amp system, my volume seemed quite low - I had to increase my amp's volume way too high in order to generate enough sound. So, then I tried increasing the operating system's volume up to 100%. With this I find that I only have to turn my amp's volume up a quarter of the way to achieve good volume. 1) Is this the appropriate method and 2) Is this method alright for the amp?

The reason I ask if this is alright for the amp is that my amp started to have a hum to it right after this volume change I describe above, where it never had one before. Just asking if it is a coincidence or not.

Thanks for any input.
Chuck

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #1,043 of 1,112
Another query: when I first placed the Eitr into my 2 channel amp system, my volume seemed quite low - I had to increase my amp's volume way too high in order to generate enough sound. So, then I tried increasing the operating system's volume up to 100%. With this I find that I only have to turn my amp's volume up a quarter of the way to achieve good volume. 1) Is this the appropriate method and 2) Is this method alright for the amp?

The reason I ask if this is alright for the amp is that my amp started to have a hum to it right after this volume change I describe above, where it never had one before. Just asking if it is a coincidence or not.

Thanks for any input.
Chuck
Yes, always turn the driver to 100% volume

Feb 22, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #1,045 of 1,112
Hello:

Chuck
My EITR does the same thing. If I shut my laptop down and restart, the Eitr will be unusable until I cycle it off and on. Normally I put the laptop into Sleep mode, which does not cause the issue, but I can always tell when there's been a Windows update during the night, because the Eitr will be messed up in the morning.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #1,046 of 1,112
Feb 22, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #1,047 of 1,112
Thanks, I recently upgraded my computer and began getting audio crackling on videogames. It doesn't happen on my phone or other computers. I was going crazy changing drivers, upgrading BIOS, etc.
Here is the thread they talk about, there are many people using other sound devices getting those crackles

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/lnmet0/an_update_on_usb_connectivity_with_500_series/

Np, I saw that thread and was wondering if all of the recent complaints with the Eitr here may have been influenced by this pretty-recent issue. I heard even VR headsets got affected badly by this

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #1,048 of 1,112
I need a usb to toslink adapter, what is the cleanest way to do this, need it noise free of possible, but also to have option of using the 5v USB out and not always need a LPS
What do you guys recommend, I need it to NOT have a dac

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #1,049 of 1,112
I need a usb to toslink adapter, what is the cleanest way to do this, need it noise free of possible, but also to have option of using the 5v USB out and not always need a LPS
What do you guys recommend, I need it to NOT have a dac

You may take a look at JAVS DDCs. I have one, and it can operate with USB bus power.

But toslink is still digital, you will need a DAC to get an analogue output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back