Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
May 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #106 of 1,448
A little OT but I see you have the HD800 with your Bifrost/Lyr. Got a chance to audition them at the meet and that's where I'm going next.
Quote:
What???? Toronto? Gaaaah. Missed it.

May 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #108 of 1,448
Quote:

How are the AAA tubes with the Bifrost?  Any improvement?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 7, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #109 of 1,448
Quote:
Yes, they played music but I got the rice crispies intermittently.  They were bad enough that I did not want to risk my HD800's on them so I did my testing with my ATHM50's until I found the 'good' usb port.  I also had to set the Schiit device as default in 'sound' management  in the control panel to get it to play.  Each USB port has to install the device driver the first time you plug it in.  You only have to install the driver from the file you download once, but each port will auto-install after that.

I really just hope it's a fixable software issue or I'll have to consider buying fruit to listen to my music on.  (OH MY GOSH!!  Did I really say that aloud?)
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blink.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 8, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #110 of 1,448
Quote:
How are the AAA tubes with the Bifrost?  Any improvement?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Other Worldly.

I posted on rolling that they aren't coming out until one of us dies.

and why did I just by 59's
I don't think they will last long.

May 8, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #111 of 1,448
Quote:
None-the-less it's a totally different sound to me and so far, I like it.  I like it a lot.  I say "so far" because there have been time's I'm listened to an "effect", thought it was great, then grew tired of it.  This will, most likely, not be the case, but it made me wonder.

The more I listen the more I am almost taken aback by how different it is. Before I would have said my setup was pretty fluid and even a bit towards dark with my HE-500s, but now it's quite different with a lot of detail and punchiness, and even some hot cymbals due to the increased treble. I'm going to leave it running tonight and see where it is tomorrow, it may sweeten into something fabulous.

I don't think there is any DSP trickery going on, that doesn't seem to be Schiit's style. And the boards are visibly quite different with the new one having the film capacitors gone and the chip that I believe controls the direct coupling circuit visible on the bottom of the board. So it appears genuine and not a deliberate effect.

It looks like I will be going into the closet and digging out some of the tubes I passed over (some Bugle Boys come to mind) and seeing where that goes over the next few days. 

May 8, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #113 of 1,448
Quote:
What is everyone doing with their original boards after the upgrade?

I have no idea what to do with mine.  It's not like I'll ever stick it back in my Bifrost so it's just sitting in my desk right now.   I wonder if Schiit wants any of them back.  They could offer us a small discount on future purchases for returning them!

May 8, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #114 of 1,448
Quote:

The more I listen the more I am almost taken aback by how different it is. Before I would have said my setup was pretty fluid and even a bit towards dark with my HE-500s, but now it's quite different with a lot of detail and punchiness, and even some hot cymbals due to the increased treble. I'm going to leave it running tonight and see where it is tomorrow, it may sweeten into something fabulous.

I don't think there is any DSP trickery going on, that doesn't seem to be Schiit's style. And the boards are visibly quite different with the new one having the film capacitors gone and the chip that I believe controls the direct coupling circuit visible on the bottom of the board. So it appears genuine and not a deliberate effect.

It looks like I will be going into the closet and digging out some of the tubes I passed over (some Bugle Boys come to mind) and seeing where that goes over the next few days. 

Yea,  I know there's no processing going on.  Should never have said that about Schiit.
You pegged it.  Detail.  Lots of it, and from mediocre tubes.
I never thought the old circuit was bad, it's astonishing how much "More" is there with Über

I'll be interested to read if you have the same experience.

May 8, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #116 of 1,448
Followed scelaraus' guide to getting my LEDs back on track (sort of) I placed translucent blue tape over the holes and let adhesive do its magic. It looks pretty nice now and matches up nicely with my amp's power LED. The upgrade is not to be missed, anyone who was considering an upgrade or sidegrade to another DAC, unless there was some specific feature you have in mind by switching, try this first, you'll be happy.

May 8, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #117 of 1,448
Quote:
I really just hope it's a fixable software issue or I'll have to consider buying fruit to listen to my music on.  (OH MY GOSH!!  Did I really say that aloud?)
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blink.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Check this out. It might help....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/638448/serious-popping-clicking-with-usb-dac

May 8, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #118 of 1,448
PLEASE NOTE!! Ifyou purchased your Bifrost within 30 days of April 26, 2013, when the Uber upgrade was announced, Schiit will install it free. This means that your Uber upgrade is $70 not $100 factory installed plus shipping. Mine was already there waiting for upgrade when I discovered this in Jason's announcement in the Sponsors Forum here. By Email, I brought this to his attention and got the $30 discount. Mine shippd out to me late yesterday so I will be all upgraded by this weekend.

May 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #119 of 1,448
Quote:
PLEASE NOTE!! Ifyou purchased your Bifrost within 30 days of April 26, 2013, when the Uber upgrade was announced, Schiit will install it free. This means that your Uber upgrade is $70 not $100 factory installed plus shipping. Mine was already there waiting for upgrade when I discovered this in Jason's announcement in the Sponsors Forum here. By Email, I brought this to his attention and got the $30 discount. Mine shippd out to me late yesterday so I will be all upgraded by this weekend.

I did purchase my Bifrost within the past 30 days, but decided I'd do it myself rather than having to ship it back and have them do it.  Even with their scheduling tool, it wasn't worth living without it for several days for something that takes less than a half an hour to install (if you are comfortable doing that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back