Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
May 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #136 of 1,448
Quote:

Thanks guys! What I have is one of those 4 outlet Tripp Lite Isobars, with the source, amp, and DAC plugged into it.

If I take the Bitfrost out of the equation and use the DAC's of the source (Pioneer or Onkyo SACD players, 2V out) and connect by analog to either a Lyr, Asgard, or Little Dot Mk III, the amps are quiet (except for the Lyr which is very slightly noisy at full volume). 

If I use the optical or coax (doesn't matter which) out of the source and connect it to the Bitfrost, I get prominent hum after about 12 o'clock (on any of the amps), although I can detect it lower on the volume knob.

The Bitfrost (in combination with any of the amps) appears to be the culprit.

I've tried powering straight into the wall, other outlets, an APC H10 line conditioner, directional and/or different rca cables. 

Nothing has stopped it except the cheater plug.

BUT now, after a trip to Guitar Center, I am the proud owner of a $75 HumX (yes my @$$ hurts) which is performing the same as the cheater plug. Didn't really think I'd have to buy an additional piece of gear after dumping a boatload of currency into Schiit gear.

What that is telling me is there is an external problem that causes your Bifrost (probably trans) to hum.
Why?
Because an external device fixes the problem.   It doesn't fix the Bifrost, it gives it clean current.  I know that sounds stupid.
It's great that you have it suppressed, but I'd like you to find the source and fix it.

May 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #138 of 1,448
Quote:
What that is telling me is there is an external problem that causes your Bifrost (probably trans) to hum.
Why?
Because an external device fixes the problem.   It doesn't fix the Bifrost, it gives it clean current.  I know that sounds stupid.
It's great that you have it suppressed, but I'd like you to find the source and fix it.

What I don't understand is why I can hook 3 different external sources (2V) by analog to any three of the previously mentioned amplifiers without any indication of ground loop.

Pioneer SACD, Onkyo SACD, and Logitech Touch

All I ever do is swap the power cable and rca's from the Bitfrost to whatever source component I wish. Therefore the power arrangement is always the same.

It's only the Bitfrost that is causing the issue (even when using optical that is galvanically isolated from the sources).

Color me stumped.

Anyway, I am way off topic. Back to Uberville!

May 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #139 of 1,448
Quote:

Thanks guys! What I have is one of those 4 outlet Tripp Lite Isobars, with the source, amp, and DAC plugged into it.

If I take the Bitfrost out of the equation and use the DAC's of the source (Pioneer or Onkyo SACD players, 2V out) and connect by analog to either a Lyr, Asgard, or Little Dot Mk III, the amps are quiet (except for the Lyr which is very slightly noisy at full volume). 

If I use the optical or coax (doesn't matter which) out of the source and connect it to the Bitfrost, I get prominent hum after about 12 o'clock (on any of the amps), although I can detect it lower on the volume knob.

The Bitfrost (in combination with any of the amps) appears to be the culprit.

I've tried powering straight into the wall, other outlets, an APC H10 line conditioner, directional and/or different rca cables. 

Nothing has stopped it except the cheater plug.

BUT now, after a trip to Guitar Center, I am the proud owner of a $75 HumX (yes my @$$ hurts) which is performing the same as the cheater plug. Didn't really think I'd have to buy an additional piece of gear after dumping a boatload of currency into Schiit gear.

Did a bit more reading......  A simple test that might save you $70.

Reading Wiki..  (as Nuttinbutair  said)  two power sources and a ground that isn't "free flowing".  Instead it has resistance.  This may be dangerous because you could have voltage on the ground.  This means the potentials are not the same. 

It said make sure audio chassis are tied together and the devices are on the same voltage source. (breaker)  I immediately thought chassis.  Lyr / Bifrost.  How?

The simple thing you might try is:
Loosen the black screw that holds the AC Power receptacle to the back of the Bifrost and Lyr.  Next take a piece of wire, solid copper works the best, and connect the Lyr Chassis to the Bifrost chassis with a short piece of wire wrapped around each screw.  Nothing massive.   Now the grounds are right tied together at the closest point.

Perhaps a short wire (no voltage) will save you $70

May 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #140 of 1,448
The Lyr has very high voltage.  The Bifrost low voltage.

From Wikipedia...

Low current wiring is particularly susceptible to ground loops. If two pieces of audio equipment are plugged into different power outlets, there will often be a difference in their respective ground potentials. If a signal is passed from one to the other via an audio connection with the ground wire intact, this potential difference causes a spurious current through the cables, creating an audible buzz at the AC mains base frequency (50 or 60 Hz) and the harmonics thereof (120 Hz, 240 Hz, and so on), called mains hum. Sometimes, performers remove the grounding pin from the cord connecting an appliance to the power outlet; however, this creates an electrocution risk. The first solution is to ensure that all metal chassis are interconnected, then connected to the electrical distribution system at one point (often referred to as a "single-point ground"). The next solution is to have shielded cables for the low currents, with the shield connected only at one end (this, however, increases the possibility of radio frequency interference (RF) since the shield may act as an antenna). Another solution is to use isolation transformersopto-isolators, or baluns to avoid a direct electrical connection between the different grounds. However, bandwidth of such is of consideration. The better isolation transformers have grounded shields between the two sets of windings. In circuits having high frequencies, such as computer monitors, chokes are placed at the end of the cables just before the termination to the next appliance (e.g., the computer). These chokes are most often called ferrite core devices.

May 10, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #142 of 1,448
Just got my bifrost back from Jason,after the Uber upgrade.
Its one hell of an upgrade.,well worth the small amount he is asking..to me the sq has increased 20%
Its very close to the Gungnir,in SQ....if I didn't know,better,I'd say it's almost like a SS dac,almost.
SQ on 75% of my test music files,are like nothing I ever heard before.
There is absolutely no noise..zero..clarity,bass,mids seems to push forth,with  a perfectly clear detailed sound and smoothness.
Maybe a good word ,would be neutral,or better yet,accurate.

My setup,is
crack amp with balls...Tung-Sol 5998  & Siemens silverplates
Uber bifrost
Foobar
HD 800
Most of my music is..acoustic guitar,classical,light jazz,some opera-it makes up about 90% of my test files

Hats off to Jason,another great upgrade

May 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #143 of 1,448
I think you nailed it with the 20% sq increase.  That is exactly where I would put it.

I put together a list of about 18 songs to test the upgrade looking for some very specific things in treble, bass, piano, live recordings, complex passages, vocals, etc.  All songs I know very well and I had certain passages in each song I was going to listen to for improvement.  Note: all listening was done via speakers not headphones.  I don't have a good quality headphone rig right now.

[size=medium]In general, I believe that the upgrade does indeed pass a cleaner output signal to the amp which allows more detail to come out top to bottom.  So, my carefully prepared list of songs all sounded better.  On some, the impact of the upgrade was more pronounced than others, but still all songs sounded better.[/size]

[size=medium]So when  some head-fiers say punchier bass, I think that is the result of a significantly cleaner signal reaching the amp.  The punch is in the original recording and the dac chip resolves it, but you didn’t hear as much of the initial string pluck or the height of the note before it begins to decay.  With the upgrade, you can.  Piano key strikes and decay are also more natural.  [/size]

[size=medium]Soundstage is better because more musical information is being relayed in terms of note decay.  You hear the note further out from the source because more of the edge of the decay can be heard.  Highes are cleaner.  Cymbals have a bit more shimmer.  Complex passages are better sorted out because you can hear the individual instruments or voices more clearly.[/size]

[size=medium]So I think it is a very cost effective upgrade.  I was in the market for a new DAC, but this has halted my search for now. [/size]

May 10, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #145 of 1,448
Quote:
I think you nailed it with the 20% sq increase.  That is exactly where I would put it.

I put together a list of about 18 songs to test the upgrade looking for some very specific things in treble, bass, piano, live recordings, complex passages, vocals, etc.  All songs I know very well and I had certain passages in each song I was going to listen to for improvement.  Note: all listening was done via speakers not headphones.  I don't have a good quality headphone rig right now.

[size=medium]In general, I believe that the upgrade does indeed pass a cleaner output signal to the amp which allows more detail to come out top to bottom.  So, my carefully prepared list of songs all sounded better.  On some, the impact of the upgrade was more pronounced than others, but still all songs sounded better.[/size]

[size=medium]So when  some head-fiers say punchier bass, I think that is the result of a significantly cleaner signal reaching the amp.  The punch is in the original recording and the dac chip resolves it, but you didn’t hear as much of the initial string pluck or the height of the note before it begins to decay.  With the upgrade, you can.  Piano key strikes and decay are also more natural.  [/size]

[size=medium]Soundstage is better because more musical information is being relayed in terms of note decay.  You hear the note further out from the source because more of the edge of the decay can be heard.  Highes are cleaner.  Cymbals have a bit more shimmer.  Complex passages are better sorted out because you can hear the individual instruments or voices more clearly.[/size]

[size=medium]So I think it is a very cost effective upgrade.  I was in the market for a new DAC, but this has halted my search for now. [/size]

Excellent reply,TEH
I do the exact same thing..even if I buy a new cable,same routine2-3 days of going over 5x the same songs
This time ,I picked up the improvement ,immediately..
I believe,I'm at my endgame,or very close to it--.???

May 10, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #146 of 1,448
Quote:
Just got my bifrost back from Jason,after the Uber upgrade.
Its one hell of an upgrade.,well worth the small amount he is asking..to me the sq has increased 20%
Its very close to the Gungnir,in SQ....if I didn't know,better,I'd say it's almost like a SS dac,almost.
SQ on 75% of my test music files,are like nothing I ever heard before.
There is absolutely no noise..zero..clarity,bass,mids seems to push forth,with  a perfectly clear detailed sound and smoothness.
Maybe a good word ,would be neutral,or better yet,accurate.

My setup,is
crack amp with balls...Tung-Sol 5998  & Siemens silverplates
Uber bifrost
Foobar
HD 800
Most of my music is..acoustic guitar,classical,light jazz,some opera-it makes up about 90% of my test files

Hats off to Jason,another great upgrade

Uh...isn't it a Solid State DAC?  Just askin'...
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #148 of 1,448
Quote:
Uh...isn't it a Solid State DAC?  Just askin'...
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

LOL-yes Hk-it is..
ever since I got the crack,my brain has been fried with tubes..must be all that heat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back