Saw some Beyers in a store!! (Nah, just kidding...)
Aug 26, 2003 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

j-curve

100+ Head-Fier
Once upon a time I put the boot into Sennheiser for not doing a good job of distributing their headphones. Since that time though, they have made fantastic progress, not just in Hi-Fi stores but also with their budget models appearing in chain stores. [These developments were purely coincidental to my helpful comments, I'm sure.
tongue.gif
]

What's up with Beyerdynamic? Are they available in a store near you? The only places I've seen them are:-
1) in stores carrying at least 50 different full-size headphones,
2) in a pro-audio store where there were 2 or 3 demo models but no stock.

Granted, the easy money for Beyer may be in bulk sales to organisations (predominantly national broadcasters, I presume), but don't they realise that there is significant interest in their products at the retail level?

Aug 26, 2003 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by j-curve
(...) but don't they realise that there is significant interest in their products at the retail level?

Well, I'd say that it's the shopkeepers' job to gather what customers are interested in and adjust their offers accordingly. So if you see no Beyerdynamics around, the demand is probably still too small - or the shopkeepers just don't care, which also seems rather common.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 26, 2003 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 20
J-curve: just wondering, where have you seen sennheisers in chain stores? I nearly had a heart attack when I saw HD570s in a best buy, but outside of that incident, I haven't see them.

Aug 27, 2003 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

andrzejpw: where have you seen sennheisers in chain stores?

That was in Sydney, where you'll see MX earbuds and some of the cheaper full-size cans in Dick Smith electronics stores.

lini, what about the distributors? Shouldn't they be a bit more pro-active? If customers are not requesting Beyers then stores are unlikely to carry them unless an enterprising dealer pays a visit. Maybe there are other problems, such as Beyer's policy regarding demo models(?)

As for customers who aren't yet sure what they want, they'll end up buying something which is already in stock, every time.

Aug 27, 2003 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 20
I've seen Sennheisers in CompUSA actually. Quite a few of them: HD590's, PX200's and PX250's (the noise cancelling ones), HD497's, and HD457's if I remember correctly. They had them next to Koss ksc-55's and UR20's and the usual Plantronics offering of headsets.

Aug 27, 2003 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 20
about the senn's i saw HD600's in a tweeter once, they had a couple other models hooked up at a demo station with a cd player, i think there might have been some 580's and V6's

Aug 27, 2003 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 20
Seen Sennheisers (HD590, HDC 451 or whatever the noise cancelling one is) at Tweeter, and especially now Virgin Megastore, who has the PX100, PX200, PXC250, HD4x7 series, HD212, HD280 and I believe one of the higher ends, either the 570, 580, or 590.

Aug 28, 2003 at 11:42 AM Post #8 of 20
j-curve: Yes, it could be a general problem with the demo model policies. Especially for the distributors. But on the other hand: How should they know, whether it's worthwhile to give out demo model to a certain shop for free, at all? Anyway: Did you bother to ask the sales personnel? At least on request, a good shop should be able to dig up demo model for an interested customer. Nevertheless, this is impossible somtimes, even if the shopkeepers try their best: For example, HiFi News (my favourite dealer here in Munich) just couldn't get a Stax 2020 or 3030 sytem for me, even though they had sold quite a few in the past, because the new distributor is not able to deliver demo models - rather ridiculous for such expensive products...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 28, 2003 at 12:50 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
J-curve: just wondering, where have you seen sennheisers in chain stores? I nearly had a heart attack when I saw HD570s in a best buy, but outside of that incident, I haven't see them.

Yes, around here (Estonia) there is a chain called Viva! Electronics and I was surprised to see a couple of sennheisers (px-200, mx500, hd270 and some eH model) and even a couple of Koss models (Sportapro, ksc-50, the plug) and I haven't seen Koss on sale here anywhere before.

Theres a pro hi-fi store that selles Sennheisers though.

Aug 28, 2003 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 20
Isn't there a Stockmann somewhere in Estonia? They should have plenty of Sennheiser goodness (as well as some of the badness). They don't sell Koss though. I suspect that Koss just prices itself out of all reason or sanity here, that's why.

Aug 29, 2003 at 11:44 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by plainsong
Isn't there a Stockmann somewhere in Estonia? They should have plenty of Sennheiser goodness (as well as some of the badness). They don't sell Koss though. I suspect that Koss just prices itself out of all reason or sanity here, that's why.

I wasnt sure so I went and checked.. they only had the cordless HDR 45-8 model. Overall the selection there was too small.. the usual Sony, Philips and Aiwa models.

Aug 29, 2003 at 11:52 AM Post #13 of 20
Here in England, most hifi shops that sell headphones have some Beyers in stock, even if they are just DT231's.

I got lucky with my DT880's as I went to a pro-audio shop searching for some DT250-250's, but they didnt have any in stock. Nor do they sell DT880's, but it just so happenned they had a pair they wanted rid of....
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2003 at 1:01 PM Post #14 of 20
Yes I saw some Beyers (DT-770 Pro and DT250-250) in a professional audio gear shop in Belgrade. I wanted to buy Beyer DT250-80s, but the jerks ordered me DT250-250s all over from Germany. They didn`t even appologize, so I got the Trackmasters from a well known Germany based Head-fi sponsor company.
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2003 at 1:21 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by miroslav
Yes I saw some Beyers (DT-770 Pro and DT250-250) in a professional audio gear shop in Belgrade. I wanted to buy Beyer DT250-80s, but the jerks ordered me DT250-250s all over from Germany. They didn`t even appologize, so I got the Trackmasters from a well known Germany based Head-fi sponsor company.
biggrin.gif

But the DT250/250 is fairly good, btw - much better than the DT250/80 to my ears...
wink.gif

Grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back