Saving Up: New amp or Headphones?
Apr 24, 2010 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gbacic

500+ Head-Fier
I've got a question for those with lots of head-fi experience:

I am saving up to get myself a graduation/starting university present this august and would like to know if it would be a better idea to get a Woo Audio 6SE (about 1150 USD with tubes), the WA2 (1120 USD with tubes) or the new T1's (about 1000 USD).
I have the ability to audition the T1's before I get them, but hearing the WA6SE before hand would be hard.

If I got the headphones my set up would be:
Lossless audio -> Compass -> Darkvoice 332 -> T1's

and if I get the amp it would be:
Lossless audio -> Compass -> WA6SE/WA2 -> HD650's

I listen to all genres, and just want to know if maybe I should do this or something else to upgrade. Budget would be about 1200 USD.

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 14
Not having heard any of the amps in question, I have had both the HD650 and T1 and for my taste, I would say get the T1. The difference between the T1 and 650 should be much greater than the difference in amps and cost less to boot (especially if you sell the 650s).

Apr 24, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 14
Wow, I have heard both option and have heard the compass too. That is a hard choice. There both good options. I guess if you really like the sound of your hd650 then stick with them and get the wa6se which will give a nice improvment over the compass. Of course, the t1 is a great all around can which will do good with any genre. The only problem maybe someone else can chime in on is will the compass be able to drive those 600 ohm t1 good enough to really make them sing to be worth the upgrade. I think some ss amps will have problems driving them well. I know my isabellina HPA while sounding good, needed the volume turned up almost all the way to be able to get them loud. They sounded best when I tried them out on a couple of tube amps.

Apr 24, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 14
Even on my Woo I had to turn the amp around 3'oclock to get the T1 to sound good. 600 Ohms is a big load on any amp?

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 14
Hi,

Buy one this year and the next one next year. Last year,in June, I bought a pair of Senn HD800.....and I just ordered a WA6 SE I should receive this week.

One thing for sure, once you'll have one, you will die to get to other one !!

Good luck

Denys

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 14
A different pair of headphones sound a lot different that a different amp IME. It all depends on whether you really like your HD650 or not. I would imagine the T1s would be better all rounders (I have listened t them), but the WA6SE and the HD650 is supposed to be VERY nice.

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 14
Which comes first, egg or chicken?
icon10.gif

Which comes first headphones or headphone amp?
My answer is: Headphone. Get the best headphones first.
The headphone amp will follow. Be careful of this word of the day: SYNERGY
atsmile.gif

There must be a cooperation between your headphones & headphone amp.

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 14
IMO Headphone is more important than the amp, but you would be foolish to buy a HD650, K701, DT880 etc if you don't have a good amp or can't get one for more than 2 months. I still reckon the OP should go for the Woo Audio amp for his HD650, as it will only make them sound better and he may not like the T1.

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 14
IMO, I would get the T1 second-hand first and see if you like it. If you don't, you can sell it on. If you like it, save up for a better rig for them.

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #10 of 14
thanks for the advice, everyone. I will probably make my decision based on my audition of the T1. If it works considerably better with my equipment I'll get it, if it doesn't I'll save up to upgrade everything (DAC, amp and headphones). I do love my HD650's with my DV332, but I want that extra step up.

Arg, upgraditis is so terrible.

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #12 of 14
Especially considering you have an amp.

If only I could have a dollar for all those bought a quality headphone but didn't buy a better amp down the track...

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #13 of 14
I also say go for the T1 since you have a pretty good amp already.

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #14 of 14
Take your rig to the store where you can audition the T1. And while you are there audition some other stuff, you never know what you'll like unless you unless you try it.

In the end you should buy whatever you think will make you the happiest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back