Sansa Clip died. Recommendations on small, inexpensive, gym-worthy player?
Jun 5, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #32 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's a v1, you can run rockbox on it, imagine even how much better with all the rockbox sound settings: Bass, Treble, Balance, Channels, Stereo Width, Crossfeed, Equalizer and Dithering
atsmile.gif

When they say Sansa V1 hardware they mean e200 and c200 models.

All clips are 2nd generation models. Additionally, there are two versions of the clip - the 8gb version is different from the others. "current status" from the wiki page says:

Quote:

Rockbox somewhat runs on the Clipv1, but hasn't been released yet.

For details see SansaAMS

At the moment Rockbox will crash randomly while playing audio, and the keymap hasn't been worked on with care.

Jun 6, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #34 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

All clips are 2nd generation models. Additionally, there are two versions of the clip - the 8gb version is different from the others. "current status" from the wiki page says:

Thanks for the tip and pointing me in the right direction
wink.gif
I've been running it on 1 and 2gb clips for months now and my kids have now been running it for the last month too. They're set to dual boot, but you must have a v1 clip, as it'll brick your v2 if you try flashing it... that must explain the pictures below
tongue.gif

DSCN0112.jpg

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #35 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No there are two versions of both the Clip and Fuze, and v2 versions of the Clip are not just the 8gb model. Depending on who you know Rockbox has been around in a testing version for months. Wiki cannot answer every question correctly, sometimes you have to ask an expert
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #36 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by no9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No there are two versions of both the Clip and Fuze, and v2 versions of the Clip are not just the 8gb model. Depending on who you know Rockbox has been around in a testing version for months. Wiki cannot answer every question correctly, sometimes you have to ask an expert
bigsmile_face.gif

From following the sansa ams threads on the rockbox forums, i get the impression that the potential for weirdness on these is much higher than, say, a gigabeat S.

but hey, if it's usable, great. But as recently as yesterday, rockbox developers are confirming that there's still a known issue with the clip where playback will sometimes just randomly stop.

until recently my rockbox hacking has been almost entirely iriver & toshiba. I've got various sansa e200 and c200 models rockboxed, and just built up about 2.75 working fuzes from a pile of broken ones last night.

Jun 6, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #37 of 59
Apologies to the OP for going off topic.

ericj, a little further clarification that I read from the forums: There’s no such thing as Sansa Clip V1, there's only revision 1 and revision 2 which are different variants of the V2 architecture, this is why Rockbox renamed the port from Sansa v2 family to AMS Sansa. I could be wrong but the rockbox developers use Clipv1 and Clipv2 to differentiate the two, even if they are probably both using the V2 architecture.

This is why I said “If it's a v1, you can run rockbox on it” here. In the first picture above the blue clip is running V02.01.32A and will not run rockbox firmware, the 3 black ones are running dual boot r20783-090425 and OF V01.01.32A.

Playback is very, very good, IMHO better than the OF but it will freeze on a song occasionally, according to funman (Rockbox Developer) “the problem is possibly the clip’s small memory.” For me either resume or reboot gets my tune playing again and it’s a bit rare, so it really doesn’t bother me. If you are interested in following, check current status click here. Or you can follow the forum thread here.

Jun 6, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #38 of 59
I have the Sony NWZ-W202-it's nice but at about $70, you'd be better off buying another Sandisk player.

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #41 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In store $20.00 for 2gb clip starts tomorrow, read http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/2g...6-13-a-427873/

just picked this up, one for myself (while gardening or waiting for wife to pick a shoe ) and two (pink) more for my god-daughters (<10yrs old).

now what do you guys recommend as far as media organizer/MP10 or drag and drop method. yes, I'm new to the Sansa, I'm done with iPods.

advance thanks

version:v02.01.16a

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #42 of 59
I use WMP11 with my Clips because I use playlists to move music on and off the Clip, but drag and drop is fine if you don't care about playlists. With WMP11 or another media organizer, you can create playlists (by genre, artist, etc.) and move music on and off the Clip really quickly. Just works better for me, especially on the 1GB Clip. With the 8GB Clip, I also have two massive playlists that I can adapt when I want to change or add tracks.

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #44 of 59
fwiw drag&drop seems to work fine on the clip w/ the latest firmware. No need for playlists if the files are properly tagged.

A little surprised that it plays FLAC, but i suppose sandisk probably has a single code base that they branch off of for their various products.

Jun 10, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #45 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpl Ledanek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
… now what do you guys recommend as far as media organizer/MP10 or drag and drop method. yes, I'm new to the Sansa, I'm done with iPods.

advance thanks

version:v02.01.16a

I use a few different media players, so I connect in MSC, Windows explorer and drag & drop ftw, btw newest fw is v02.01.32a

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the v1 clip was prone to battery issues and also had inferior sound quality to the v2.

Unless, the sound quality issues were directly related to those players which did have battery issues.

I know, I had a v1 which had a duff battery and it sounded (in comparison to the v2's) grainy and noisy.

Haven't heard that issue before, but I did have one of the one's that the battery went bad on, which sandisk replaced no problem. AFAIK both are different variants of the V2 architecture so the sound quality is the same, that's not to say you didn't have a sq issue. The advantage to the v1 is that you can run rockbox, have gapless, a workable eq (as you know the sansa one sucks), crossfeed, pan, games and more ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back