SAmsung galaxy note 2
May 15, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #406 of 471
I might purchase a cheap Note 2 to check if the headphone out is able to keep up with the stunning one of my iPhone 4S.

Love the sound of the 4S but like many others i'm tired of such a tiny screen.

Since i use UM3x and SE420 iems hiss is my may concern...

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm

May 15, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #407 of 471
I might purchase a cheap Note 2 to check if the headphone out is able to keep up with the stunning one of my iPhone 4S.

I know that the Note 2 does not have as much volume output as some of the iPhones. If you root the Note 2, you can do this mod at XDA for turning up the headphone amp gain on the Note 2.

May 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #408 of 471

If you in the end decide to go with the Note II, try to get the international version N7100, although I think you cannot get many others in Spain. Hope you don´t get disappointed with the movement.

Quote:
I know that the Note 2 does not have as much volume output as some of the iPhones. If you root the Note 2, you can do this mod at XDA for turning up the headphone amp gain on the Note 2.

Root is definitely the way to go. :D

May 15, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #409 of 471
I'll be keeping my 4S till i've assessed the Note 2 performance. So the move is more a financial risk than an operative one.

I just use balanced armature sensitive iems hence i'm not expecting any volume problem even with quiet albums...but hiss is gonna be the obvious enemy.

Another option of mine might be going back to old preiPhone days and carry around my iPod Classic + iBasso t3. Which is the best source my ears/iems have ever witnessed.

Optimism is the depth of technical ignorance

May 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #410 of 471
Quote:
I'll be keeping my 4S till i've assessed the Note 2 performance. So the move is more a financial risk than an operative one.

I just use balanced armature sensitive iems hence i'm not expecting any volume problem even with quiet albums...but hiss is gonna be the obvious enemy.

Another option of mine might be going back to old preiPhone days and carry around my iPod Classic + iBasso t3. Which is the best source my ears/iems have ever witnessed.

When I am interested in testing something out, I go second hand. That way, if I don´t like it, I can resell it usually for the same price or even more.

May 15, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #411 of 471
Quote:

When I am interested in testing something out, I go second hand. That way, if I don´t like it, I can resell it usually for the same price or even more.

That's what i was about to do.

But just tried the cursed Qualcomm S4 and it sounds great to these ears with zero hiss. If it was not for the fuzzies with low impedances i might change course.

Anyway i feel closer to test a big screen smartphone.

May 16, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #412 of 471
Quote:

No hiss at all with the Wolfson Note 2 using Sony XBA-4 IEM, Volume is enough for me and I prefer for everything the Note 2 compared to the Iphone 4S of my wife. Hope you enjoy it :)

May 16, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #413 of 471
Anyone saying there is no hiss is most likely deaf i have the note 2 and there is definitely hiss but its not as bad as a lot of stand alone players and its easily 99% better than every other android i've ever tried. No popping noises or EMI or CPU noises that i can hear. And if you want to see that hiss does in fact exist get into a really quiet environment and put your phones in and make sure nothings playing then change your ringtone or alarm sound and you'll hear the amplifier kick in with a super quiet hiss and the hiss will remain for a few seconds after the sound is not being played and its definitely there with music.

That being said you will definitely need to get a custom recovery like TWRP loaded onto the device and load up one of the half dozen kernals that enable boeffla sound. And as for the Amplifier boost setting 45 is stock and it goes to 63 which is nothing but distortion but with no EQ you should be able to boost it to 55 and stay pretty clean but i recommend never going higher than 45 as every single db higher just makes the hiss louder so if you have super sensitive phones you might even want to tone it down to 40 if there's sufficient volume for you as you can reduce the hiss to inaudible levels.

May 16, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #414 of 471
Quote:
Anyone saying there is no hiss is most likely deaf i have the note 2 and there is definitely hiss but its not as bad as a lot of stand alone players and its easily 99% better than every other android i've ever tried. No popping noises or EMI or CPU noises that i can hear. And if you want to see that hiss does in fact exist get into a really quiet environment and put your phones in and make sure nothings playing then change your ringtone or alarm sound and you'll hear the amplifier kick in with a super quiet hiss and the hiss will remain for a few seconds after the sound is not being played and its definitely there with music.

That being said you will definitely need to get a custom recovery like TWRP loaded onto the device and load up one of the half dozen kernals that enable boeffla sound. And as for the Amplifier boost setting 45 is stock and it goes to 63 which is nothing but distortion but with no EQ you should be able to boost it to 55 and stay pretty clean but i recommend never going higher than 45 as every single db higher just makes the hiss louder so if you have super sensitive phones you might even want to tone it down to 40 if there's sufficient volume for you as you can reduce the hiss to inaudible levels.

What specific version do you have?

May 17, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #415 of 471
Quote:

I confirm no hiss for me with the Wolfson Note2 and at less with my IEM's (XBA-4/IE80). Can you tell us which version of the Note 2 are you using and what are the earphones used ?

May 17, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #417 of 471
All note 2 have the same chipsets so theres no difference in audio unlike the galaxy s3/s4's they different models just have different cellular chipsets for different parts of the world. Otherwise the boeffla sound(voodoo sound) wouldnt work on them.

But like i said originally there is definitely hiss but its so low that its better than everything i've ever listened to aside from apple products. I'm pretty sure its been mentioned by other people in this thread earlier aswell.

May 17, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #418 of 471
I can believe you, I'm a not so young and my hearing frequency range is decreasing year after year, but in other devices I can hear hiss and not with this one, I'm talking only for the stock player. Not have try with other applications.

About the DAC, the Note 2 can have two differente processor depending on the region, an Exynos or a Qualcomm.

The Note 2 equiped with a Exynos processor is using a Wolfson DAC, for the other one the DAC is in the Qualcomm chip.

But this is depending on the region, for example in the US I read on XDA that now you have only Exynos Note2.

"It's not even a question anymore. Samsung already stated in their press release that the US versions are coming with the exynos soc."

May 17, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #420 of 471
[quote name="elfary" url="/t/625054/samsung-galaxy-note-2/45#post_8814784"]
I think that's the usual Android audio engine hiss. I'm yet to hear an Android smartphone with a background as pitch black as the iPhone one.

That said i found bearable the Note 2 hiss (Even with my sensitive UM3x)

Anyway since it's a headphone out amp management issue i think that through USB you'll get rid of it.

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother[/quote]

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=23891584

Users who are viewing this thread

Back