Same Old Schiit? Balanced Research and Valhalla Amp Giveaway
Aug 15, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #31 of 217

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?

NIEN!

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?

NIEN, DUMMKOPF!

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?

THY FURHOR DEMANDS ZE BEST! BY BEST, HE ZANTS TOP OF PILE BUZZWORDS. 4-PIN!

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?

EXTREMELY. ZE BALANCED AMP SHOULD EMPLOY A BLITZKRIEG OF SINGLE ENDED OUTPUT TO CRUSH ZE FUROR'S SIBLING'S IPOD HEADPHONES!

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?

QUANTITY OVER QUALITY. SPREAD ZEM FAR AND WIDE.

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #32 of 217

Nope!

I don't really know, maybe not the immediate future (still in college), but I think they would be worth looking into later down the road.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?

Not at all, but both would be nice.

Not that important.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #33 of 217

No, I don't have.

No, not really. To be honest I believe the balanced is overblown flavor by the people. When I see something that costs $300 and it's balanced I usually laugh and am being skeptical. I have heard a couple of balanced rigs and I think that money would be better spend on better unbalanced equipment. And I don't hide that big factor in my statement is the money. I also use DAC for speakers and that would require a balanced amp and preamp.

I have heard only with the 4-pin XLR, don't really know why would you wanna add another connector? If that's your concern I think you should find a way to offer a cheap extension cable or even better offer it for free as a gift.

Very important! It will be statement amp after all, right?

It depends. Technically, people who buy balanced amp why would they care about single-ended in the long term. But if you look at the price you are buying this stuff you have kind of higher demands. So overall single-ended can't be much worse than balanced, you can't just apply it and leave it for the sake of it. 

Aug 15, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #34 of 217

I currently have HE6 which will accept balanced or SE.  I am also planning on getting some LCD2.2's which I will also mod to balanced.

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? As above.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? 4 Pin seems easier.  Unless there is a clear sound quality advantage I would not want dual 3 pin.

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?  Very important if it doesnt add significantly (more than say $200 max) to the cost.  I like the idea of being able to let friends use the amp with their own cans.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?  I would prefer to spend the money on upgrading the amp rather than having to upgrade each headphone cable.  

Is it an easy mod to have the power switch on the front?  I would also like to see more of the tubes if at all possible if it is a tube or hybrid amp.

Cheers and keep up the great work.

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #35 of 217
Quote:
Yes, I have five different headphones with balanced terminations available: HD600, LCD-2, HD800, HE-6, and K1000.

I have two balanced amps but wouldn't mind upgrading one or both of them (if I consolidate my system) at some point.

It's nice to have both, on my WA22 I can drive the HD800 and LCD-2 at the same time that way; three of my four balanced headphones are single 4-pin however. If I had to choose just one it would be hard but I would go with dual 3-pin because the adapter to 4-pin would be less bulky that way. Having said that I find the single 4-pin is better in general as a standard, which is why it is a hard choice to make.

It's not as important to me as having both of the XLR options but it would be a desirable convenience. Another desirable convenience would be to have a lower-gain 1/8" output for more efficient headphones.

I would want the quality to be good, but I would be okay with less power going to the single-ended output(s).

Thank you for this opportunity Jason
popcorn.gif

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #36 of 217
The HE-6, set up as single-ended.

Maybe.

4-pin is what I would need.

Not important, it wouldn't hurt to have it though.

If it had single-ended output, I think it should be of the same quality as the balanced output.

Thanks for making the contest and keep up the good work. 

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #37 of 217

1. Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?
Used to, K702

2. If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?
As with most things, if I had a few million dollars it would be on my list.

3. For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?
I'd prefer just a 4 pin. It's more compact and less fuss.

4. For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?
This is a hard question for me to answer. I've had a little experience with the beta22, which requires 5 boards for balanced and single ended output. This increased the cost over a balanced only setup.
I would assume you'd fundamentally need an extra ground part if you added singled ended outputs, which would increase the price. I would also think that the sound quality would be similar to the balanced setup without the features of a balanced output.
In most cases I would say it's very important. I wouldn't want to change all the stock cables around just so that I could use an amp, especially if I had more than one headphone.

5. If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?
A bit of both. It shouldn't be too hard to get a good single end output from a balanced one right?

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #38 of 217

Quote:

Not at the moment.

Looking for a balanced LCD2 setup but am holding back because I am undecided on the amp to pair with it.

4-pin XLR will pull the trick off  =)

I find it very important to have a single-ended output so that I do not need to reterminate my other S.E. headphones to balanced (e.g., Audio Technica, Denon) and can just live with one headamp

The quality of the single-ended output is important because if it is bad, I am not going to use it anyway.

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #39 of 217

1) Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones? Yes

HE-6, LCD-2, Ultrasone ALO-780

2) For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?

No, 4 pin only

3) For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?

Very, will increase flexibility and sales

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?

Not as important but no point being much worse else would not be used and then becomes a waste.

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #40 of 217

Quote:
Here are the questions (and answers):

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones? NO
If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? Both. And I am getting balanced cables for my se headphones (HD650).
For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? Not important. I prefer 4-pin XLR.
For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? Very important.
If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones? All-around quality is very important. I have se headphones that I'd like to use to their best.

Thanks in advance for your responses! You're welcome, Jason

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #41 of 217
1) Don't have balanced yet but have considered getting a balanced cable for the JH|13's

2) Always keeping an eye open for a great balanced amp thats priced right

3) 4pin XLR makes the most sense so dual 3pin is not important to me

4) Not important to have SE outputs as there are adaptors to go from 4-pin to TRS

5) Forget SE implementation, the adapters work just as good and keep the price of the amp down.

Quote:

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #42 of 217
Not yet.

About to order a balanced aftermarket cable for my LCD-2 rev.2 terminated in 4-pin xlr with a 1/4" adapter in case I do go balanced in future. Have also always wanted to hear how much better the HD650 can sound in a balanced rig.

Would prefer the best implementation (which I understand is 4-pin) only, if it keeps cost down.

Very important. Future headphone purchases need to be accounted for. I don't particularly like hoarding gear either, so if this balanced amp can match the Lyr in output for the LCD-2 and HD650, the Lyr will be moved on. Don't particularly want to keep a second amp just for single-ended output.

Quality of single ended output is very important. Why bother just tacking it on?

* Feature request:
  1. Stepped attenuator (perhaps as upgrade option)
  2. Front panel gain switch

Also, would you care to make this a Bifrost giveaway for those not in need of another amp?
wink.gif

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #43 of 217
Wow... interesting...!!!

>>Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?
Not at this moment

>>If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?
Ortho phones are in my upgrade list... And I'm sure they are more effective driven balanced

>>For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?
4-pin would be my choice

>>For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?
Would be a nice option... as long as not hurting the balanced design..

>>If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?
If it is more as "utility" it is better to left it... without SE. If it does there, it should perform as good as the balanced...

Thanks,
David

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #44 of 217

Not yet.

I was thinking of it as a possibility if I go for the Eddie Current BA for my LCD-2's, but I have been convinced that the whole balanced thing is hokem for headphones.

If I went balanced, I'd want both.

If the balanced amp was somewhat inexpensive, not that important as I'd have one amp for balanced headphones, one for single ended.  If it was 3K, I'd want both.

If you do something, you do it right.

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #45 of 217

Yes -- JH-13 IEMs with RSA Protector. 

Will probably get balanced full-sized phones next time I splurge

I think the four-pin is all that is needed. Not into clutter on the front panel. 

Important -- definitely include 

Ideally both outputs are of equal quality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back