SACD rips?
Apr 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Barthandelus

New Head-Fier
I've heard SACD is one of the best formats out there for sound

Wanted to try it out but can't find any sample rips. Would they be in the 100MB range per song and in .flac containers?

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 40
Search is your friend.

Short answer: you can't do it.

On the upside, there's really no such thing as a BAD SACD player/transport, and some are quite reasonably priced now. Look for a sony multi-format player, like this one, which is a great deal at $139.

Many libraries have SACD, especially for classical recordings, and SACD's aren't necessarily that expensive to buy online, more so if you can buy used. So once you have a player, easy to try it out.

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barthandelus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard SACD is one of the best formats out there for sound

Wanted to try it out but can't find any sample rips. Would they be in the 100MB range per song and in .flac containers?

SACD is a carrier of hi resolution audio files. Ripping a SACD is practically impossible due to a heavy encription. You need a SACD player to play SACD discs.

Normally, you can only make a recording coming through the analogue outputs using a computer sound card i.e. not a proper digital ripp (although it has been reported recently by some individuals as possible using modded SACD players as OPPO).

But still, you can buy the same hi-res files (as on SACD) from sites like hdtracks.com or linnrecords.com and play them with your comp (player as itunes > dac > your analogue rig (or Headphones)).

Look for 24bit 88200 Hz or 24bit 96000 Hz (hdtracks.com) or higher (Linnrecords.com).

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by waterlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Look for 24bit 88200 Hz or 24bit 96000 Hz (hdtracks.com) or higher (Linnrecords.com).

Ah... but I'd need a 24 bit soundcard first (using onboard right now)

I have the first generation PS3s which can apparently play SACDs

Dont have any home theatre speakers but I would be interested in connecting it to my soon to arrive AKG K701s. How would I go about doing that?

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 40
All demo material you can find that is not on an actual SACD disc (but in say a hi-rez flac) will NOT be true SACD but rather SACD re-recorded into a ADC (like a soundcard) and thus cannot be considered equal to the real thing.

You go from DSD > analog > souncard ADC > PCM, this has a high potential of altering the sound.

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mace1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All demo material you can find that is not on an actual SACD disc (but in say a hi-rez flac) will NOT be true SACD but rather SACD re-recorded into a ADC (like a soundcard) and thus cannot be considered equal to the real thing.

You go from DSD > analog > souncard ADC > PCM, this has a high potential of altering the sound.

See Meyer and Moran 2007
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #8 of 40
There are modded SACD players available that can output PCM. So it is supposedly possible to get a digital copy of an SACD. The Wikipedia article on SACD mentions the availability of such mods.

So the chain would be
DSD > PCM at whatever sample rate the hardware mod supports > digital out to audio interface > record in real time > save to WAV > edit WAV to split into tracks

Thus avoiding going through the analog hole. All digital all the way through.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 40
Are you asking about sources of SACD/Hi-resolution rips? Or are you asking how to rip your SACD's?

If the former, then you are best served by searching for Hi-Res music sources online, which usually can be purchased in FLAC format. I don't think any of these are DSD rips, but are typically 24/96 & occasionally 24/192 material.

If the latter, then it is technically possible to generate a DSD digital stream with alot of angst & effort, including obtaining a correct Sony PS3 model with older firmware, & a special hi-rez decoder box from somewhere in Eastern Europe. Of course you'll also need the appropriate computer hardware to receive & record the hi-rez digital stream to your hard drive.

A bit easier is to find a DVD-Audio transport that outputs hi-rez PCM through its digital-outs, and record to your PC with that. Not DSD, but still hi-rez. Such transports are rare, and probably no longer in production, but can be found & don't require any external decoder box before going into your PC.

Lastly, all of the above assumes you have a DAC that is capable of using this hi-rez content (up to 24/192) in the first place.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #10 of 40
Afaik the encryption used on SACDs have not been cracked, hence it is not possible to rip it.

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #11 of 40
Apr 29, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mace1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. So that basically means that everything over 44.1 is moot.

Let's just say there is robust debate about the actual value of high res
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's just say there is robust debate about the actual value of high res
wink.gif

see the new (March 2010) JAES (Journal of the Audio Engineering Society) for a debate update (letter from Dralove, reply Meyer/Moran): questions, some info, more opinion and spin, sadly not much substance...

Apr 29, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by emmodad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
see the new (March 2010) JAES (Journal of the Audio Engineering Society) for a debate update (letter from Dralove, reply Meyer/Moran): questions, some info, more opinion and spin, sadly not much substance...

Since I got my PhD last year my Student membership has lasped. Oh well I guess I have to get used to no more student discounts
wink.gif

membership duly renewed...

Well as you say not much added there. Perhaps sony should do some large scale tests, they have the money...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back