SAA HD 800 modification ?
Oct 26, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #46 of 118
For me the HD800 is much better - apart from the fact that I can't wear the Abyss for more than 10 min. w/o getting a headache from the weight. The HD800 has a much better sound stage and the Abyss clearly produces an "inside the head" impression for me. An absolute no go in my book.

At a level of HD800, Abyss, SR-009, LCD-3 it's about personal preference in sound signature and personal music preference and not about the price sticker. The sound of the HD800 and Abyss are pretty different and the SAA will not turn the HD800 into something that sounds like the Abyss ... just a guess:D , as I haven't had my HD800 modded :wink:  

So I think you could tell me what amp drives your HD800 as it would help me a lot to make mines sound better.

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #47 of 118
So I think you could tell me what amp drives your HD800 as it would help me a lot to make mines sound better.

Currently I am driving my HD800 directly from the SE headphone output of my e20DAC (exasound).
Signed up for a GSX-MkII but that still in the making
wink.gif
. Once I have that, I'll be able to drive the headphones fully balanced.

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #48 of 118
I have ordered and received the HD 800 SAA mod with Endorphin hard wired cable. Delays are not short: 2-3 months. I was curious on how a mod can change/optimize cans (true that it is a pricy test) but for my ears the result is convincing. I would say that for a Buddy who should have an HD800 and want to buy an LCD-X, he should consider to SAA mod his HD800. Good bass, no more sibiliance, nice airing.
(Amped by EC ZANA DEUX SE, WOOAudio WA6 SE).

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #49 of 118
I changed my set up a little since my last post in this thread from October.
I am still waiting for the GSX-MkII but waiting has been sweetened by driving the HD800 directly hooked up to a speaker amp.
A First Watt M2 and it sounds just gorgeous
biggrin.gif

Hopefully at the end of this month (03/15) I should have the headamp and can compare the two amp concepts. If I feel there might still be some room for improvement, I might think about the SAA mod but having their cable in 14ft is just nuts $$$. So I'll stick with my Norne Vanquish unless I win the lottery, of course
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #50 of 118
Icebar,
Would you explain how are the connectors to hook your HD800 to the speakers plots of the M2?
I own an Audiomat Arpege ref 10 all tube and should be a good idea too.

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #51 of 118
I have a dual 3 pin configuration headphone cable.
I DIY'd a cable (Belden quad) with dual 3pin XLRs just connecting L+ / L- and R+ / R- (ground open) from the XLR to the corresponding speaker terminals using spade connectors.

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #53 of 118
Preproman, my HD800 is hard wired with an 1/4" termination and my LCD-X is dual 3 pins terminated.

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #54 of 118
Preproman, my HD800 is hard wired with an 1/4" termination and my LCD-X is dual 3 pins terminated.

O man - why did you do that?  "Just joking"    I guess you can get a 1/4 female installed (but not sure if that will work with a balanced hardwire headphone), but then you have to get a different cable for the dual female 3 pin XLRs.  

That's a lot of money on cables - unless you can DIY..

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #55 of 118

If the cable is indeed balanced but just terminated for L- and R- to common ground, then chopping off the 1/4" plug and re-terminate to either 4 pin xlr or dual 3-pin.
The single ended termination is most likely the worst possible option when you are trying to push the limits - which hard wiring is definitely showing ...
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #56 of 118
Icebear:

I just discover this thread.  I had my HD800 hardwired back in 9/2009 by SAA.  At the time, the VOICE is their totl product which they have discontinued since then.  I went back to my e-mail and this was what I ordered:   "SAA Hardwired VOICE Noir 10ft Ultra High End headphone cable for HD800. Black finish with Ebony wood splitter and male Furutech 601 xlr connectors."  If Tyle is still interested, I'll be happy to sent my phone (HD800) to him for measurement.  My impression is that it did took care of the sibilance. It is hard to say if it is worth the mod, but I paid $1,400.00 for it.

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #57 of 118
Thanks for chiming in. If you are happy with the mod and the cable, that's the only really important thing.
For me a mod & cable that is almost as expensive as the headphone itself is a no go.
I never had any sibilance issue to begin with using my e20DAC, not with the SE stock cable and not with balanced Norne Vanquish which was a fraction of the SAA cable. 

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #58 of 118
Tried Vanquish cable for hd800 thanks to a friend.
They were flashy and exciting but the Draug2 beat them thoroughly with a greater and more coherent soundstage.
It also was more impressive than the silver dragon which also by the way had better soundstaging cues over the Vanquish.
I realize it looks like I putting the Vanquish down but actually not at they sounded better than the "blue dragon" and frenchsilk cable and even the cardas which actually was like a tie because the Cardas was good just not as lively...
Anyways I considered myself lucky to have compared that many although there is so many more to choose...

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #59 of 118
A very interesting thread comes up when you google :

hd800 dissection and measurements

A DIY approach to open heart surgery on the HD800.
Positively not for the faint of heart audiophile
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back