Rumor: New Sennheiser Flagship to be surfaced ........ soon
Aug 24, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #16 of 603
just to clarify...25w = 250k, 30w = 300k...

which is USD$50k....

I have corrected my mistake and included US$ for reference, hopefully this will straighten the discussion.

Thanks for pointing out the fault.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 24, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #17 of 603
I have corrected my mistake and included US$ for reference, hopefully this will straighten the discussion.

Thanks for pointing out the fault.

Whoa, whoa, wait.

The Orpheus 2 is going to be around $50,000?!

That's by far the most costly headphone system ever. (I'm assuming it will include its own exclusive amp like the original Orpheus.) Orpheus 1 retailed at less than $20,000, and even the most exorbitant eBay listings only went up to $35,000 or so.

Do you have any other info as to why it's so expensive?

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #19 of 603
  Because they can? 

Really though. Sennheiser went from the $500 HD650 to the $1500 HD800, and people gobbled them up. 4, 5 years later, people are still gobbling them up. 

I have no problem with spending four figures on a headphone...but I'm crossing my fingers that the $50K price is just a publicity stunt. I've been interested in the rumored Orpheus 2 for a long time now.

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #20 of 603

Because they can? 

Really though. Sennheiser went from the $500 HD650 to the $1500 HD800, and people gobbled them up. 4, 5 years later, people are still gobbling them up. 

I think all but the most dedicated headphonephiles (or wealthiest, or most bat **** insane) would spend $50k on a system, though, whereas $5k is within many more budgets. Frankly I'm thinking they're shooting themselves in the foot if they plan on finding a market for a $50k headphone.

But this could just be another publicity stunt like the original Orpheus. They basically made it to say "Look what we can do!" Even then I think they're making a mistake: there are many, many technically impressive headphones on the market now and at reasonably affordable prices. The Orpheus 2 better sound damn good if they really want to make an impression.

Though with Head-Fi's track record, the price alone will probably be enough for praises to be sung and ballads to be written 
tongue.gif

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #21 of 603
  I think all but the most dedicated headphonephiles (or wealthiest, or most bat **** insane) would spend $50k on a system, though, whereas $5k is within many more budgets. Frankly I'm thinking they're shooting themselves in the foot if they plan on finding a market for a $50k headphone.

But this could just be another publicity stunt like the original Orpheus. They basically made it to say "Look what we can do!" Even then I think they're making a mistake: there are many, many technically impressive headphones on the market now and at reasonably affordable prices. The Orpheus 2 better sound damn good if they really want to make an impression.

Though with Head-Fi's track record, the price alone will probably be enough for praises to be sung and ballads to be written 
tongue.gif

When I said publicity stunt, I was alluding to them listing that price, but then releasing it at something more reasonable.

The Orpheus was a marketing tool, but I still genuinely want to buy it someday.

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #24 of 603

When I said publicity stunt, I was alluding to them listing that price, but then releasing it at something more reasonable.

The Orpheus was a marketing tool, but I still genuinely want to buy it someday.

Oh I wasn't talking about your post, just the original Orpheus. I was typing my post already when you posted yours.

Anyway, I don't think Senn's trying to play with the MSRP. They've been enforcing a MAP on their other models; to list the Orpheus 2 at a ridiculous price then discount it doesn't match the rest of their marketing strategy. Either it's a typo like zach thinks, or they're dead serious.

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #26 of 603
  Oh I wasn't talking about your post, just the original Orpheus. I was typing my post already when you posted yours.

Anyway, I don't think Senn's trying to play with the MSRP. They've been enforcing a MAP on their other models; to list the Orpheus 2 at a ridiculous price then discount it doesn't match the rest of their marketing strategy. Either it's a typo like zach thinks, or they're dead serious.

Yep, I know! ^_^ I was just clarifying myself in case of any confusion.

That's what confused me so much. It better be a typo, man!

By the way, if you can reply at my thread with more ideas about the spoiler tag, I'd appreciate it.

I'm really hoping Sennheiser wont release their HD800 successor as a limited edition product. I think up to $6k would be a reasonable price.

I was talking about the Orpheus 2, not the HD 800 successor (which probably won't be over two or three grand).

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #27 of 603

Yep, I know! ^_^ I was just clarifying myself in case of any confusion.

That's what confused me so much. It better be a typo, man!

By the way, if you can reply at my thread with more ideas about the spoiler tag, I'd appreciate it.

I was talking about the Orpheus 2, not the HD 800 successor (which probably won't be over two or three grand).

Ohh ok, my bad

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #29 of 603
Whoa, whoa, wait.

The Orpheus 2 is going to be around $50,000?!

That's by far the most costly headphone system ever. (I'm assuming it will include its own exclusive amp like the original Orpheus.) Orpheus 1 retailed at less than $20,000, and even the most exorbitant eBay listings only went up to $35,000 or so.

Do you have any other info as to why it's so expensive?

Lets talk business. The original Orpheus was launched in early 90s (1994?), I don't recall the original price but lets take the number your suggested as-is.

The $20,000 price tag was a 20 years historical figure, I am sure if you factor in inflation, or present value, or GDP per capita, or average household income, exotic car price, ....., you can definitely find ONE formula to justify the $50,000 price tag in 2015 with reference to $20,000 in 1994. If Senn is CRAZY enough to ask for $20,000 in 1991, why won't they ask for $50,000 in 2015?

On the other hand, if you are the head of Senn Sale/Marketing, and you noticed that a 20 years old Orpheus can ask for $35,000, what will be the figure you suggest to senior management on the forth coming Orpheus 2?

The problem is, the original Orpheus was a limited edition and only 300 were made, consider the HeadFi market has expanded expotentially since 1994, will Senn make this a limited edition again and what will be the number they have in mind. If they are goind to make 300 units only, like what they did with the original Orpheus, I am sure this will be a sold out within 12 months, there is a reason that the news/figures leaked from Mainland China as that is a big rising market for exotic toys like this.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 25, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #30 of 603
Lets talk business. The original Orpheus was launched in early 90s (1994?), I don't recall the original price but lets take the number your suggested as-is.

The $20,000 price tag was a 20 years historical figure, I am sure if you factor in inflation, or present value, or GDP per capita, or average household income, exotic car price, ....., you can definitely find ONE formula to justify the $500,000 price tag in 2015 with reference to $20,000 in 1994. If Senn is CRAZY enough to ask for $20,000 in 1991, why won't they ask for $50,000 in 2015?

On the other hand, if you are the head of Senn Sale/Marketing, and you noticed that a 20 years old Orpheus can ask for $35,000, what will be the figure you suggest to senior management on the forth coming Orpheus 2?

The problem is, the original Orpheus was a limited edition and only 300 were made, consider the HeadFi market has expanded expotentially since 1994, will Senn make this a limited edition again and what will be the number they have in mind. If they are goind to make 300 units only, like what they did with the original Orpheus, I am sure this will be a sold out within 12 months, there is a reason that the news/figures leaked from Mainland China as that is a big rising market for exotic toys like this.

I put your little typo in bold.
wink_face.gif

The Sennheiser Orpheus was released in 1991 at a retail price of $12,900. Factoring in inflation, that's $22,446 in today's dollars.

After the first 300 units of the system (with the HE 90 headphones and HEV 90 amplifier), a few hundred more of the headphones were produced alone.

I would imagine that the new and improved version would be able to be made and sold at a lower price, though, since technology is at a higher level of advancement.

I'm not sure of the highest price an Orpheus system has actually sold for. It has been listed for sale for up to $35K, but again, that's because it's such a rare and desirable collector's item, and I don't think it ever sold at that price.

In any case...I really want all these headphones!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back