Rotel - The underdog?
Nov 24, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #46 of 51
I auditioned the Rotel RSX1055 receiver on Saturday with some B & W CM4 speakers. I loved the sound. My set (speakers and receiver, as well as a Rotel RCD1072 CD player) is going to be delivered to my house on Wednesday. I'm not an audiophile, just a wanna-be audiophile, but I thought the sound, build-quality and price of the Rotel products were great. Best of all, I finally get to retire my 1980 Kenwood component system! The headphone jack on the receiver is supposed to be pretty good, which is a bonus.

Guess I like the silver & black "steely" look, too - no, I'm not a Raider fan
wink.gif
but my computer is silver & black, my vehicle is silver & black and now my new stereo system is silver & black
blink.gif

Looking forward to Wednesday morning.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 4:12 AM Post #47 of 51
Cool nothing like sitting back for a few hours and breaking in new equipment. Feel the groove!
tongue.gif
(I love that stupid blissed out look!)

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #49 of 51
I know this is an ancient thread but I just viewed a rotel rb 5000 power amp from the eighties that was recapped on the net . Wow what a beast this puppy weighs in at 135 pounds . Nice power supply with two huge toroidal transformers and four 22,000 mfd caps . This looks as well built as a lot of new high end power amps . The rb 5000 was rated at 500 watts rms per channel which was one of the more powerful power amps of that time . Check the rb 5000 amp out on the vintage knob website this was a monster amp .

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #50 of 51
  I know this is an ancient thread but I just viewed a rotel rb 5000 power amp from the eighties that was recapped on the net . Wow what a beast this puppy weighs in at 135 pounds . Nice power supply with two huge toroidal transformers and four 22,000 mfd caps . This looks as well built as a lot of new high end power amps . The rb 5000 was rated at 500 watts rms per channel which was one of the more powerful power amps of that time . Check the rb 5000 amp out on the vintage knob website this was a monster amp .

I would say that when the RB5000 came out , that it was a piece of high-end gear. Maybe it didn't have the Krell or Levinson name, but it was built to nearly the same standard., IMHO

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #51 of 51
I have had Rotel components in my main speaker system for around 18 years now and they have been very reliable. In my system which utilizes Magnepan speakers, I've tried three different amps. ​The Magnepan speakers are very revealing of equipment so it's easy to hear differences clearly. 

Bel Canto S300i
Acurus A100
Rotel RB981 + RC1070

The Acurus only cost a little bit more than the Rotel but was bright and a little harsh sounding.  The Bel Canto had a little bit better bass and a little sweeter sounding but lacked the air and transparency of the Rotel. Which is surprising since it costs more than twice as much as the Rotel  pre and power combo. For me the Rotel setup was by far the best out of these three options.  With the Magnepan speakers, it's important to have components that have transparency and air as it's key to having holographic sound.  

I've heard some more expensive amplification in higher end systems.  While nice, I've not yet found the need to upgrade from the Rotel pre and power combo.  

I also have an old Rotel cd player that still sees active duty.  It's performed very well but I do have the urge to upgrade to an external DAC. Considering that it's still reliably spinning discs after 18 years is testament to how well built their equipment is.  It may not be pretty or look particularly high end.  But it has it where it really counts.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back