Rotel - The underdog?
Nov 22, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #31 of 51
I have owned my Rotel RCD-950 cd player for about a year now and like it very much. It has pretty solid build quality and the sound is very smooth and coherent. I would highly recommend both this player and the RCD-971. Both are very strong deals on the used market, as with many of the other Rotel amps, cd players, and tuners.

Nov 23, 2003 at 12:22 AM Post #32 of 51
I've got a Rotel RB1050 power amp for B&W 601s. I am very happy with it. I haven't had it for even a year yet, so I can't comment on reliability, but it seems to be very 'tank like' in build.

While I have not heard it myself, the headphone out on the 1060 integrated amp is rumored to be quite good.

Nov 23, 2003 at 2:06 AM Post #33 of 51
I got a Rotel RA-930AX integrated back in the early 1990's. Even in those pre-Head-Fi days, my plan was to go speakerless using the Rotel's nice headphone jack with Senn 580's and its entirely serviceable phono stage with the Rotel 900P turntable (a rebadged Rega Planar 2). This kept me happy for years.

Now the Rotel is still going stron doing duty in my TV setup with speakers. And the headphone jack does a nice job with the ol' Grados.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2003 at 4:21 AM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Alex Altorfer
Guys,

I think some people's definition of mid-fi and hi-fi is a bit distorted. I've auditioned a Rotel setup with B&W speakers and wouldn't call that 'mid-fi' in no way shape or form. Sounded like a live performance when I closed my eyes.

Cheers,
Alex Altorfer
580smile.gif

Its still mif-fi! Becasue you can't hear or don't care to hear a difference doesn't make it 'the same' as a HiFi maker.

Nov 23, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by boead
Its still mif-fi! Becasue you can't hear or don't care to hear a difference doesn't make it 'the same' as a HiFi maker.

What does make it the same -- price? Quality of parts? Small name vs. big brand name? Advertising claims? Audiophile magazine reviews?

Yeah, there's a sonic difference between a $50 Sony PCDP and a $2000 Rega CD Player. Much of the realm in between lies in our imaginations, hopes, dreams and expectations. Learn this early and save some money, or learn it later and blow it.

Nov 23, 2003 at 11:39 AM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
Well, you guys can label all the brands you want, but I think the real question here is whether there is anything out there that is truly better, not just different, than Rotel in its price range? When it comes to power amps below $2000.00 Rotel is simply one of the best.

Yeah I agree, the one area where Rotel exceeds is bringing home a level of performance that one would not normally expect at its price point, and it does that pretty damn well I can tell you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2003 at 5:19 PM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

Becasue you can't hear or don't care to hear a difference doesn't make it 'the same' as a HiFi maker.

What a remarkable statement. It is one that I'll need to remember to quote in the future.

Nov 23, 2003 at 5:47 PM Post #39 of 51
Boead,

Quote:

I didn't mean to troll the thread or anything, but I think any system that reproduces an audio recording faithfully should be thought of as HiFi, minor subtleties notwithstanding, even if the equipment's given price point is below the point of diminishing returns. What sometimes upsets me is when I get the impression people just want to label everything that's cheaper than their own equipment as MidFi, thereby placing themselves on a pedestal.

Cheers,
Alex Altorfer
580smile.gif

Nov 23, 2003 at 7:54 PM Post #42 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Alex Altorfer
What sometimes upsets me is when I get the impression people just want to label everything that's cheaper than their own equipment as MidFi, thereby placing themselves on a pedestal.

It always depends on the viewpoint, but yes, I fear you're right.
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Nov 24, 2003 at 3:10 AM Post #43 of 51
I love the Rotel products. The dealer I regularly visit is a Rotel dealer so I have had the opportunity to listen to a lot of their stuff. Their amps are great for their price range. I own the Rotel RSX 1065 receiver. This thing is built like a tank and it rocks with the two speakers I have used with it so far, the AAD E-48s and the Green Mountain Europas. One thing is evident, they have conservative power ratings. The 1065 is rated at 100 watts, but it has a lot more wieght or power than other receivers I auditioned that are rated with more watts.

Nov 24, 2003 at 4:56 AM Post #44 of 51
There is a rotel dealer right near me. I am not such a big fan. I just didn't like it's sound. I opted for CJ, which just sounds much more musical to me. I also don't think it is very attractive stuff either...too steely for me I guess. This doesn't mean other people won't like it though....

Nov 24, 2003 at 12:20 PM Post #45 of 51
i dont really have anything to compare my rotel too, but i think its pretty good... and i got a damn good deal on it too... (like err.. free... well close to it
smily_headphones1.gif
)

not selling online though seems a bit strange to me though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back