Ross Martin Audio DACs? BB PCM1794 based DAC ($199 single DAC, $399 dual DAC with headamp)
Sep 6, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #31 of 55
Some internal pics as promised, sorry for the lousy quality tho, taken with my phone. 

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #32 of 55
Wallwart?  =\

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #33 of 55
Thanks for the pics...for 199 USD this unit isn't a bad deal at all...there is certainly room for improvement through some specific DIY mods (shunt regs, better clock like the Tentlabs XO 2.2 + PSU, and a linear supply to replace the wall wart). Of course spending money of that amount for those parts would be better spent on a better quality suitable base unit, then again the upgrades might be well worth the end result (it's hard to guess)....however for 199 USD (despite the hand made / industrial look of it, inside and out) it's a better unit than a lot out there that sells for 1.5 - 2 x more $$$. I would take this DAC ahead the ZERO 2009 without thinking twice about it.

Good find to say the least.

Peete.

Feb 26, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #38 of 55
I have put in an order for a second one as you can't touch this kind of sound quality for the price!  MadWelshman  is quick to "post" a judgement without any specifics!  Anyway, to answer the question about comparing it to a soundcard, I would bet $100 that no internal soundcard made could compare as this DAC does all of the analog operations far away from the noise producing internals of the computer!

Heres some more pics.  Note the knobs are my addition, and I have added two RCA jacks (the larger black wires) on the back that hook up to the headphone jack on the front so I could use it as a volume controlled preamp for my Dynaco ST-70 tube amp, and it sounds spectacular!

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #39 of 55
How does one buy one of these marvels as the website does not seem to exist currently or links broke

edit, now found it via google, also US e.bay sales, not sure what to think, website is rubbish, e.bay info looks amateurish, is this for
real, case looks like i knocked it up in the garage, trouble is i am looking for a dac, to significantly upgrade my Musiland Monitor 02
which was £80 delivered, and is brilliant for the money, if this thing is for real, it could be my next max value kit, like the 02, and
my M Stage amp

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #40 of 55

Website is rossmartinaudio.com.  I ordered and received a 1794 dual Bare Beast with OPA627 and OPA1612s. It is on the second page of the web site "More Ear Gear." 

Case construction is fair at best (the selector knob obscures the source labels).  Communication is fair.  Time from order to arrival about a month. Sound is still settling in, but very detailed and PRAT is improving.  Used with a modded Belles 21A preamp and PMC AML1 monitors on Sound Anchors.

Despite the appearance, sound is stunning and as I told a friend, the sound doesn't really need to get any better for me to be happy. 

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #42 of 55
headamp sound of no concern to me, would only want dac, as have the M stage, just somewhat dubious about buying something
that looks so poorly put together, with such amateurish website, and e.bay information/images.

Have 2 pieces of kit that represent outstanding value, the M Stage headamp, and the Musiland 02 dac, both are very well put together
considering their relative cost, would buy this dac in a heartbeat, if i could fathom the website, and the options available, and the thing
didn't look like something built as a project by a school boy.

Is it really that good Julius ?

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #43 of 55
Wish I could help with advice, but hard for me to judge the DAC on it's own merit.  My combination of a tube preamp and fairly neutral speakers in a fairly well treated room may be just a unique synergy.  

The only DACs I have on my shelf right now are an original VALAB and a Gamma2.  Comparisons probably not of much value and I don't have the time or energy right now to try to volume match and crawl around hooking them up.

My son has a RME Babyface which has neutral converters with a Lake People G100 that would probably be a good reference.  I will be seeing him in a week and perhaps we can listen together.  His younger ears are outstanding, but he's unhappy unless it's neutral and I prefer a little bloom.

Bass extension is very good.  Kick and bass both accurate.  Cymbal decay very nice.  Vocals very accurate.  Soundstage fairly tall and moderately wide.  Imaging good, but not great.  Output is somewhat hot and I would prefer slightly less gain.

The construction quality is barely adequate.  A white (yes white) power cord exits the back and is connected by bare wires screwed into the Basler Electric 16.5VAC transformer with a decent black power cord.  Amatuerish probably describes the box construction too.  I would also prefer a more robust case execution.  Was considering the well-regarded suspects here, but am happy enough.  I have no connection to Ross Martin, other than as a customer.  My communications have been a few emails, which were answered fairly promptly albeit with brief but adequate responses.

Sorry, can't be of more help.  Good luck.

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #44 of 55
Ok Julius thanks for the reply, don't know what to think really, gut says its toytown, leave it alone, but reading some of the comments here it might sound ok, which
is all that matters.

Cheers Chris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back