Ross Martin Audio DACs? BB PCM1794 based DAC ($199 single DAC, $399 dual DAC with headamp)
Feb 14, 2011 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

darkswordsman17

500+ Head-Fier
So I was looking on eBay when I came across an interesting DAC.

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-Bit-PCM1794A-DAC-SPDIF-OPT-129DB-SNR-THD-N-0004-/320657125639?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa8a77107

Its a BB PCM1794 based DAC, with just SPDIF and Coax input, but claimed balanced output (1/4" TRS) and regular RCA out. In an aluminum (looks polished) enclosure with wood end pieces. For $199.

Googled and didn't find much, but did find his website:
http://members.cox.net/rossmartin1/index.htm

He also has a dual PCM1794 version (run in dual mono), with two SPDIF and coax, one AES input, one USB (no idea what it supports through there though). Then for output it has the same as the single (balanced TRS and regular RCA), but also has a head-amp, although its just based on the TI TPA6120. This one for $399.

You can also buy versions with upgraded opamps (two listed, and the upgrade prices seem pretty high, no idea if they're swappable).

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 55
I came across that site a week or so ago and curious too wondering if anyone has tried them out. Will be watching this thread too. Real responsive to e-mails - I was asking about a BNC out and he said "yes we will build the dac any way you want!"

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 55
It sounds spectacular. Each voice and instrument is distinct with a warm sound-stage, I truly cannot believe that such sound clarity can originate with my somewhat older model pc. I spent a few weeks researching DACs and USB converters on line, including Musical Fidelity, HRT Music Streamer, and Music Hall among others. I found the Ross Martin devices while googling the Burr Brown PCM 1794 and saw little difference between the DAC/USB converters selling at 3 to 5x's the price and Ross Martin's products and  decided to take the chance. . You can actually hear strings resonate .  .       .......               ...      Just plug and play as this DAC is instantly recognized by your pc and enjoy. The sound quality via the PCM1794 OPA1611   is a substantial improvement from my Kenwood CD player and Ross and company are great to deal with if you have any questions.

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 55
Jesus. Someone teach that guy how to use a camera, lol.

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #14 of 55

Quote:
It sounds spectacular. Each voice and instrument is distinct with a warm sound-stage, I truly cannot believe that such sound clarity can originate with my somewhat older model pc. I spent a few weeks researching DACs and USB converters on line, including Musical Fidelity, HRT Music Streamer, and Music Hall among others. I found the Ross Martin devices while googling the Burr Brown PCM 1794 and saw little difference between the DAC/USB converters selling at 3 to 5x's the price and Ross Martin's products and  decided to take the chance. . You can actually hear strings resonate .  .       .......               ...      Just plug and play as this DAC is instantly recognized by your pc and enjoy. The sound quality via the PCM1794 OPA1611   is a substantial improvement from my Kenwood CD player and Ross and company are great to deal with if you have any questions.

Well, as good as it sounds connecting to your PC with USB, it should sound even better with a proper S/PDIF connection.

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #15 of 55
I am thinking about this instead of screwing around with the OPAMP's in the Xonar Essence soundcard. I want the 1611's and 1612's in my soundcard but can't find them anywhere to buy. A separate DAC seems to be the way to go many people have said vs a soundcard. Value for money wise, this one seems to check all the tick boxes. Anybody else got any opinions on these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back