Rolling Stones strategy
Jan 4, 2003 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dngl

He'd rather show hisbuns than wear fur.
OK, I finally am getting into the Rolling Stones... and I am not sure which versions of albums to purchase, since the differences in US vs. UK are both mixing and tracks...

Any suggestion as to which version of Aftermath is better?

If I get the UK version of Aftermath, is there any way to get Paint it Black without buying a greatest hits?*

*I despise greatest hits collections.

Jan 4, 2003 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 12
Here is a link to a Rolling Stones discography:

http://members.chello.nl/f.dejonge/albums.htm

Paint it Black was released as a single, so it appears only on Hot Rocks 1964-1971 (1972), Rolled Gold (1975),and the London Years Singles - Boxed Set Disk 2 (1989).

As far as Best-of collections go, the Big Hits - High tide and Green Grass (1966) does a credible job of covering the early 60s period. Through the Past, Darkly (1969), fills in the middle 60s period quite well too.

If you get those two, and then the following album releases, you'd have the classic Stones (64-71) pretty well covered.

Aftermath (1966)
Beggar's Banquet (1968)
Let It Bleed (1969)
Sticky Fingers (1971)

With the exception of Angie, from Goat's Head Soup, there are no later Stones albums or singles that I care to own.

Jan 5, 2003 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 12
mkmelt, this is the one (and only) time that I will have to disagree with you. The best Stones album is also one of the greatest rock 'n' roll albums--Exile on Main Street. If you start anywhere, it should be here.

I have the UK SACD version of "Aftermath" and I prefer it to the US version.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to get at least one greatest hits collection, because if you don't you're going to miss out on "Honky Tonk Woman" and "Jumpin Jack Flash."

Jan 5, 2003 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 12
Agreed. I'm glad you recommended that one.

Jan 5, 2003 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 12
Jon , I received three sampler albums in the mail from Sony. One of them is a short compilation of songs from the Abkco SACD releases. It includes, Jumping Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, She's a Rainbow, It's All Over Now, Honky Tonk Woman, and Salt Of The Earth. I have been buying all the Abcko releases so I have no need for it. Let me know if you want to check it out.

P.S. I agree with the recommendations of mkmelt and FCJ. But I do not think Let It Bleed is one of the Abkco remasters.

P.P.S. The U.S. release version of Aftermath has Paint It Black as the first track.

Jan 5, 2003 at 12:36 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by morphsci
But I do not think Let It Bleed is one of the Abkco remasters.

It is. I have it and it sounds much, much better than the 1986 remaster. Plus, as the Stones intended, there are no pauses between tracks.

"Sticky Fingers" and "Exile on Main Street" are not part of the Abkco remaster series. I'm hopeful that Virgin will remaster those for SACD in the future.

Jan 5, 2003 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
It is. I have it and it sounds much, much better than the 1986 remaster. Plus, as the Stones intended, there are no pauses between tracks.

"Sticky Fingers" and "Exile on Main Street" are not part of the Abkco remaster series. I'm hopeful that Virgin will remaster those for SACD in the future.

You are absolutely correct! I must have been really tired (or something else) when I wrote that. I actually have the Let It Bleed remaster. I probably meant to say Exile but who knows what I was thinking.

P.S. I also like Goats Head Soup and It's Only Rock and Roll because I still have the albums from 1973 and 1974 when I was still in high school
eek.gif

Jan 5, 2003 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by morphsci

P.S. I also like Goats Head Soup and It's Only Rock and Roll because I still have the albums from 1973 and 1974 when I was still in high school
eek.gif

I, too, bought both in high school. Remember the poster that came with "Goats Head Soup?"

"Winter" is a great song, with a great Mick Taylor solo. One of his best with the Stones.

Jan 6, 2003 at 5:26 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
I, too, bought both in high school. Remember the poster that came with "Goats Head Soup?"

"Winter" is a great song, with a great Mick Taylor solo. One of his best with the Stones.

Yes I do. I just went and pulled out the album to see if it was still in there and it sure is. I agree Winter is a great song. However I always liked Star Star. It kind of epitomizes the Stones and my youth for me.
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 6, 2003 at 5:50 AM Post #10 of 12
What's wrong with a greatest hits album when you are first getting into a band? At least it gives you a feel of what era of their sound you most prefer.

Nice choice, though, the Stones are great.

Jan 6, 2003 at 6:16 AM Post #11 of 12
My problem with greatest hits CDs is that they're often only singles, and I'm the type of jerk who thinks the 'single' is the weakest track on a CD because it's the least adventuresome, least developed, etc.

I hated the beatles for years after getting some of their comps because i thought all the songs were uptempo 4/4 pop songs. I finally got Sgt. Pepper's and realized how wrong I was... The Beatles 1 CD has the same effect on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back