Rockville mini-meet pics
Apr 11, 2004 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Hirsch

Why is there a chaplain standing over his wallet?
First set of pics:

4101.jpg

4102.jpg

4103.jpg

4104.jpg

4105.jpg

4106.jpg

4107.jpg

4108.jpg

4109.jpg

4110.jpg

Apr 11, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 60
4111.jpg

4112.jpg

Contestants in the Grado shoot out:

SR-325 (old production), MS Pro, RS-1, PS-1, HP-1 (Laboratory Standard cable), HP-2 (Laboratory Standard cable), HP-2 (High-Bandwidth Reference cable)

4113.jpg

Two Grados, head-to-head, in the output jacks of a carlo-modded SHA-1. Comments to follow...

4114.jpg

Apr 11, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 60
Wow, women at a Head-Fi meet? What is the world coming to! OK, so who tried the PS-1s with one of the Gilmore amps? Step right up and tell me all!
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #4 of 60
I'm drooling
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Looks like a Grado convention.
Thanks for the pics Hirsh. Seems like you guys had plenty of toys to play with.

What kind of ICs were those royal blue cables?

Apr 11, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 60
Didn't get a picture of Dave1's SR-303/313 setup, which arrived midway through the meet. That combo is a winner. It gets amazingly close to the SR-404/007t, and didn't really get a chance to fully charge up. More pictures will come, though
wink.gif

Comments on the Grado shootout:

MS Pro and RS-1: the last time I compared these, I heard a significant loss of detail in the MS Pro using flat pads. Not today. In fact, with flat pads on both, I'd have a very hard time telling them apart sonically. The MS Pro had a little more on the top end. Maybe. These sounded close together today.

The high end of the HP-1000 is better with the Reference cable, I think. At least one listener preferred the standard cable.

Of the four people present who had experience with the high end Grado's, some prefer the RS-1 to the HP-1000. Some prefer the HP-1000 to the RS-1. We're divided on the cables as well, with at least one person preferring the Laboratory Standard cable. However, we were unanimous on one thing:

None of the older Grados can match the PS-1. In head-to-head comparison, it's a better headphone than any of the other Grado's present.

It's faster, with greater dynamic range, than any of the other Grado headphones present. The bass goes deeper than any of the others. It doesn't matter which amp you use, or which source (unless you're relying on the headphone to hide a flaw in the system, in which case you really don't want the PS-1). It's almost impossible to go back to one of the other Grado's after listening to the PS-1. The PS-1 is real, folks. We can stop hoping for a re-release of the HP-1000. There's something better now. I've been trying to be restrained in my raving about how good this is, but it's getting harder to do.

One person listened carefully, and then placed a call to Todd directly from the meet.

Apr 11, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #6 of 60
No Gilmore amps present. However, there was an XP-7, HPA-1, and a portable Headroom amp I've never seen before. The Headroom amp was impressive. It's got to be an older model, I think, but it had some serious dynamics. There were also the Singlepower amps, and the Melos.

The royal blue cables are the Grover SR interconnects. I've been really impressed by them so far.

Apr 11, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 60
Wow, thanks for sharing the photos and such Hirsch. Looks like a lot of Grado love a goin' on there at your place.

Is that your brother in the Stubbs shirt?
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #9 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch

The PS-1 is real, folks. We can stop hoping for a re-release of the HP-1000. There's something better now. I've been trying to be restrained in my raving about how good this is, but it's getting harder to do.

Heh, at least until these stop being made and then we can start on our new hope of the PS-1 being rereleased!
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 60
"It's almost impossible to go back to one of the other Grado's after listening to the PS-1. The PS-1 is real, folks. We can stop hoping for a re-release of the HP-1000. There's something better now."

A lot of folks will be happy to hear this! In a sense, it nullifies the need for a detailed review, although we know you'll still be up to the task. Take your time and enjoy the music.

"One person listened carefully, and then placed a call to Todd directly from the meet."

I can't wait now!

Apr 11, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #11 of 60
I didn't participate in the Grado shootout, but when the PS-1s were in the other room I clearly enjoyed them much more than the Stax 404 and Sennheiser HE60 headphones. Quick listening to the other Grado headphones randomly throughout the day and it's still easy to say the PS-1s blows them all away. It's the best, warmest, fullest bass I have had the pleasure to experience in any headphone! Thanks to Hirsch for being a wonderful host and all the people that attended for being kind and sharing all their great equipment. I'll be sure to post the pictures I took tomorrow.

Apr 11, 2004 at 9:20 AM Post #12 of 60
Did anyone have a chance to try the PS-1 with an RA-1? I'm just wondering if the PS-1 has the same "synergy thing" going on with the RA-1 that the RS-1 has...

Apr 11, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #14 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
No Gilmore amps present. However, there was an XP-7, HPA-1, and a portable Headroom amp I've never seen before. The Headroom amp was impressive. It's got to be an older model, I think, but it had some serious dynamics. There were also the Singlepower amps, and the Melos.

The Headroom amp in the picture? That's either the old supreme or cosmic. Can't quite tell b/c the lettering is blocked by the headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back