Rockna Wavelight
Mar 30, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #1,561 of 1,586
I'm a new owner of a Rockna Wavelight.
I have some questions about firmware. How do we see the current version of the firmware ? Do you have a detailed process for the firmware update ?
Welcome to the club.
Pressing the leftmost button several times circulates through the menu. The last info is the firmware.
Like:
v1.33,01.48

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #1,567 of 1,586
My device has been upgraded, it only runs files with "s25", my device only updates to 1.38, cannot update to 2.1
From what I understand, certain WL architectures either run on 1.x or 2.x. So 1.38 would be the most current up to date version for your DAC (as it is with mine). You don't have to worry about 2.38 etc.

Apr 4, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #1,569 of 1,586
When I changed the firmwares, I discovered the problem: "UDP." loops. (device does not exit "UDP." after UDP.DONE).
The problem is solved by:
- Use your phone to control the device to standby mode. (no need to unplug the power cord)
- Or play any song and run the .wav file (firmware) again, the device will exit the "UDP." loop.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #1,570 of 1,586
Hi!
How is the Wavelight Server WLS progressing with sw/fw?
Is it possibel to connect direct to Tidal and Qobus now, or is still Roon membership a must before you can connect indirect to Tidal or Qobus?
How does it compare to Holo Red or other streamers? :wink:

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #1,571 of 1,586
Hi!
How is the Wavelight Server WLS progressing with sw/fw?
Is it possibel to connect direct to Tidal and Qobus now, or is still Roon membership a must before you can connect indirect to Tidal or Qobus?
How does it compare to Holo Red or other streamers? :wink:
Not well, no feature Updates so far.
Upsampling for the other outputs than i2S has at least been promised for around high end (1 month from now)

You still need Roon to access Qobuz or Tidal.

I don't have a Holo Red therefore I can't contribute any comparison

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #1,572 of 1,586
Not well, no feature Updates so far.
Upsampling for the other outputs than i2S has at least been promised for around high end (1 month from now)

You still need Roon to access Qobuz or Tidal.

I don't have a Holo Red therefore I can't contribute any comparison
Thanks for your feedback. Let´s hope WLS update will come around high end! :)
Have you (or others) compared the WLS to any other streamers?
Holo Red was just an example of a streamer I know by reputation.

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #1,573 of 1,586
Thanks for your feedback. Let´s hope WLS update will come around high end! :)
Have you (or others) compared the WLS to any other streamers?
Holo Red was just an example of a streamer I know by reputation.
@TBMY I have a direct comparison with Lumin U1 Mini and both are similar in some areas.

Lumin is brilliant proposal in terms of stability, this was the only streamer that worked for me out-of-the-box when connected. Both Lumin and WLS require ethernet connection which can be challenging at the time. Lumin has dedicated app for streaming, WLS is missing one, the one to control WLS is fairly minimalistic and still buggy (but it got better recently). Lumin works basically with everything that is mainstream. It is missing internal storage (but this is not a problem since you can connect network storage or just plug USB/ssd hdd via USB at the back of device) which WLS comes with. If you are Roon die hard fan, that WLS could be interesting choice if you want to use it with other dacs than Rockna. Otherwise Lumin clearly wins, despite the fact that it can't upsample and U1 Mini does not support I2S interface (Rockna WaveLight has one). WLS is supposed to be able to rip cd's but this feature is not available at the moment.

I also had expirence with streamers based around Rpi and with ifi zen stream. Don't bother with zen stream - it never got stable software IMHO.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #1,575 of 1,586
I have Wavelight, used to run Zen Stream, sold it and bought Volumio Rivo. Upgraded with better powersupply. Much better sound than ZS, and the SW is also very stable and works fine, also with external usb hdd or network drive :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back