Rockna Wavelight
Feb 1, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #1,546 of 1,586
Quick A/B test doesn’t reveal all (if any, depending on what you’re testing) differences. It sometimes takes a while to appreciate the difference.
I’m NOT discussing differences between or among effects. I’m discussing whether the effects exist at all.
Cables is again a great example. Thread after thread on cables discussed the perceived differences from changing cables. A well designed A/B would determine where such differences exist. Same cable? Different cable? 20 tries to identify whether you’re listening to a or b with everything else the same. If listeners as a group can distinguish, it should show up. If it does, the so-called objectivists should **** already. If not, we’ve all leaned something. You could even stratify the sample. Maybe professional musicians and sound engineers can tell because they do this for a living. Maybe not. My point is the existence of an effect is not and endorcement of the sq. That is a subjective opinion and I’m all for it. I’m not even asking for a description. Just can listeners distinguish between two different cables in a statistically significant manner under controlled conditions. You know, an experiment. Scientists do them every day.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #1,547 of 1,586
the hardest part about testing non-measurable differences is that this is a very subjective hobby. everyone’s ears and brains are different. my interpretation of shrill and bright might the same as your crisp and clear.
I agree. The Harmon curve is just a survey of a preferred sound signiture. Further, Harmon now finds the curve systematically varies by age.
But my point is that the existence of an effect within a population is not subjective. If it can’t be heard, that’s that. If it can, I’m fully onboard. Real or placebo. It’s not that hard.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #1,548 of 1,586
I'm a few extensive listening sessions now past the latest firmware update. Everything sounds fantastic. I got the Holo Red streamer today - just for fun -- nice little piece of gear as well. Looking back on the firmeware update, I have to admit that was my first time updating the WL firmware and first times are always a hastle. I don't think it was that big a deal overall and if I needed to do it in the future - would feel confident it would go faster / more efficiently (on my end)....

The Wavelight has been tride and true in my chain. I really can't imagine ever not owning it.

The timbre, resolution, micro-detail, attack, sound staging, instrument separation are all simply perfect :notes: :notes: :notes:

This is easily one of the best DACs available below $10k USD.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #1,551 of 1,586
Anyone heard from Nicolae lately?
I emailed him regarding the upsampling for the non i2S outputs which is an advertised feature. However he didn't respond within 2 weeks now

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #1,552 of 1,586
Anyone heard from Nicolae lately?
I emailed him regarding the upsampling for the non i2S outputs which is an advertised feature. However he didn't respond within 2 weeks now
@ThanatosVI last time it took me 2 months almost to get simple answer for my question. It seems that repeating emails once a week is the way to go.

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #1,553 of 1,586
@ThanatosVI last time it took me 2 months almost to get simple answer for my question. It seems that repeating emails once a week is the way to go.
I had a lot of contact in the past with Nicolae and I usually received answers very fast. This time it is/was different though.

Regardless I bumped the message again, since I'd actually really like the feature. Which by the way is also advertised on the website as if it were available...

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #1,554 of 1,586
I had a lot of contact in the past with Nicolae and I usually received answers very fast. This time it is/was different though.

Regardless I bumped the message again, since I'd actually really like the feature. Which by the way is also advertised on the website as if it were available...
Update: I received an answer today and the upsampling might be ready around munich high end. Which is in 2 months.

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #1,555 of 1,586
Update: I received an answer today and the upsampling might be ready around munich high end. Which is in 2 months.
Awesome! Fingers crossed. I know you were really looking forward to not resorting to i2s, glad they're finally updating for other outputs. I am still loving the Rockna stack as the WLS has elevated my system with a blacker background, punch and detail while retaining that house WL signature. Just got the WA23 LUNA which so far is pairing amazing as well between the R2R and tubes.

Also congrats on the Envy LE, heard it at CanJam and that thing was a beast. Blackest background I've heard with such refined precision and sophisticated maturity in its portrayal.

Mar 13, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #1,556 of 1,586
Awesome! Fingers crossed. I know you were really looking forward to not resorting to i2s, glad they're finally updating for other outputs. I am still loving the Rockna stack as the WLS has elevated my system with a blacker background, punch and detail while retaining that house WL signature. Just got the WA23 LUNA which so far is pairing amazing as well between the R2R and tubes.

Also congrats on the Envy LE, heard it at CanJam and that thing was a beast. Blackest background I've heard with such refined precision and sophisticated maturity in its portrayal.
I still hope that T+A will add i2S inputs soon, but until then I need other outputs for the upsampling

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #1,557 of 1,586
A question for rockna WL owners, the 0.5 amp slowblow fuse is safe to use a for a 230Vac unit? Thinking to doing the fuse mod. Thanks

this is the response I got from Rockna when trying to figure out which value of fuse to use:

The fuse installed from the factory is oversized. You can safely use the following 20x5mm fuse values:
- for 230v operation use 0.315A fast(quick) blow ceramic, or 0.5A slow-blow high performance(audiophile) fuse

from the info I got from Rockna, that value should work...

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #1,558 of 1,586
I have not heard the Wavedream or Wavedream + Net combo, however the DACs that I would gravitate towards at this point (that I've heard) would be the MSB Discrete + Dual Power Supply/Powerbase, Bricasti M12 or Aries Cerat Helene. Of course, nothing is definite because I haven't heard any of these in my system.
Out of these 3 DACs you mention above which did you prefer most? I've owned the Discrete may be getting a Helene, but if it's close to the Discrete I'd likely pass for the money...Been there done that, had the Discrete for over 4 years. Was a great dac just moved on to Analog now back to Digital want something NOS and Tubed.

Mar 17, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #1,559 of 1,586
Screenshot_20240318_071227_Rockna WLS.jpg

decided to give the WL Server app another try, and to my surprise it is now working fine. previously it just kept crashing and immediately closing upon opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back